North Ionian harbours

SarahJ

Visit site
Can I ask liveaboards a question re North Ionian? First time north of
Lefkas next two weeks starting Monday and deciding on a bolt hole Monday night and Tuesday from South Easterly stormy weather. Gaios North quay but not keen on rats a real possibility or Mourtos quay but will there be space at circa 4pm? Or any other ideas? Going thru canal early doors
Monday. Don't mind anchoring out.
Thanks. Not a liveaboard but hope it's ok to post here.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Looking at the forecast just now, the weather is pretty filthy for Tuesday thru to Thursday. Gaios is OK but only to the north, don't go in the southern part as the swell can be horrid. If you're worried about rats (we've never had a problem with them there but other have....) then anchor off to the island with long lines ashore and use the dinghy to go ashore. Best place to do that is before the area marked as "no mooring here 1100 - 1700": that'll avoid anchor knitting with others on the quay. Otherwise you could come into Vonitsa, past Preveza. Mourtos will be full is suspect, especially as you wouldn't be arriving until late pm. Wouldn't go to Preveza unless you can get a berth in the marina, as with the southerly winds it may become untenable. Lanka on the north end of Paxos is also a possibility but again likely to be crowded.

SarahJ

Visit site
Thank you so much. Exactly what I need. Vonitsa might be an idea. Behind Koukouvitsa looks possible in those winds. Is that right as I guess Vonitsa often full.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Surely there will be anchoring space in Lakka in September, Duncan? The Italians should all be on there way by this weekend.
If its SE winds then how about Plataria just south of Igoumenitsa, or if its really going to be nasty, then we've sat out a couple of real ooh-nasties in Ormos Valtou - the bay immediately north of Igoumenitsa - on the south side, last bay before you reach the salt pans/fish-trap area at the head of Valtou, there's deep water close inshore and you're tucked up under a high ridge; bugger all there, but great protection from S/SE

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Add Moggonisi, enclosed bay, SE Paxos

Problem with Mongonisi in a southerly is that the wind funnels through the gap between the island and Paxos and swirls round the anchorage. I'd not recommend it next week for that reason. It's also a bit remote for shops etc.

Bob, we'd thought Gaios would be quieter now but it was full of Italians, presumably about to head of back to Italy, hence my thinking that Lakka will also still be full.... But then again, it might be empty. Agree Platerias would be fine but it's a long trip to do in a day from Lefkas and is also likely to be full as there's a chance that Sailing Holidays will have kept back their flots because of the forecast.

Ormos Valtou is, I agree, bomb proof. Great shelter, brilliant holding and quite picturesque. An even bigger ask for a one day sail from Lefkas though and you'd need food for three days with the forecast as it is at the moment!

Last edited:

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I was in lakka Friday night, there was plenty of room plus people left before us yesterday. We're currently in Mourtos (Sivota) there isn't any room here on the quay, I've spoke to a couple of people they say their going to try Platera but I agree with Duncan the Sailing Holdays will most likely keep in their flock.

SarahJ

Visit site
Really good information. We have decided to stay South and hopefully make break for Paxos, Gaios, on Wednesday when it looks better, well, for a day anyway. Then we'll see. Space in Spartachori tonight. Thanks again.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Really good information. We have decided to stay South and hopefully make break for Paxos, Gaios, on Wednesday when it looks better, well, for a day anyway. Then we'll see. Space in Spartachori tonight. Thanks again.

Good decision, if you don't have to go north then stay south for a few extra days.

A couple of spaces in Mourtos (Sivota) if anyone is interested. Inner harbour.

Last edited:

crisjones

Visit site
The Windfinder forecast for the area is showing 15-20knts, admittedly with heavy rain but still not the sort of forecast to be having such a panic as seems to have ensued??
Not clear from Windfinder but I suspect there must be a likelihood of thunderstorms which does, clearly, warrant some more caution.
We have been in the Aegean for the summer and a forecast of 15-20knts would have been greeted with great glee and rapid planning of where to go!! We only start serious hideout planning when the forecast shows 25 gusting 40knts!!

Just checked and clearly thunderstorms are the problem so good reason to hide - would almost be welcome over here if only to wash the salt and dust off the boat.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
The Windfinder forecast for the area is showing 15-20knts, admittedly with heavy rain but still not the sort of forecast to be having such a panic as seems to have ensued??
Not clear from Windfinder but I suspect there must be a likelihood of thunderstorms which does, clearly, warrant some more caution.
We have been in the Aegean for the summer and a forecast of 15-20knts would have been greeted with great glee and rapid planning of where to go!! We only start serious hideout planning when the forecast shows 25 gusting 40knts!!

Just checked and clearly thunderstorms are the problem so good reason to hide - would almost be welcome over here if only to wash the salt and dust off the boat.

Calm at last now we've reached Symi!

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Thunderstorms started at 1am and didn't stop til 9am, I've never seen or heard anything like it! At 8:30am lightening struck the electricity meter 2 boats down and took out all their electronics with quite a bang.

crisjones

Visit site
Thunderstorms are always a bit of a lottery, sometimes you can get very strong winds from all directions, other times barely any wind - sometimes huge amounts of rain, lightning and thunder other times a few quick flashes and bangs and it has all passed!!!

Never sure if it is best to be in a harbour / marina or out at anchor? In a harbour you can always get off the boat and go somewhere else (especially a charter boat!) but the large number of high masts may attract more strikes. At anchor you may be the only boat in an anchorage so does that leave you as the only "target" for any lightning? Fortunately even when boats do get hit it only rarely results in injuries to any persons on board so staying on the boat is a fairly acceptable risk, although a strike must a pretty frightening experience.
Hope everyone is safe over there and no ones holiday is spoilt because of a strike to their charter boat.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
No charter boats. Just spoke to the guy, he said it hit his mast! Out of the 4 privately owned boats on this side his was the biggest (47ft) so I assume that's why his last got hit. Shame as its day one of his 6 week holiday.

But as you say no one was hurt.