Nordhavn alternative

Greg2

Visit site
Last edited:

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
Until he bought a catamaran Nigel Pickin always said the only way to do it was on the Queen Mary 2! Will be interesting to hear his views when he reaches St Lucia.

Three Ellings definitely did it a few years back but must have been modified at least to the extent of adding additional tankage. That would probably allow quite a few other D or SD boats into the fold, especially US designed trawler yachts. I would still reckon a Nordhavn the best bet - solid, dependable and well engineered.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Three Ellings did it - I think the only mods were some fuel tanks strapped to the deck

https://www.mby.com/news/three-ellings-to-make-transat-attempt-10642

The MBY link talks about them at the planning stage but I have read an article about them successfully completing the crossing - can’t find it at the moment

Found this
https://www.passagemaker.com/cruiser-reviews/the-elling-e4-one-tough-dutch-craft

Yep, I know the owner of Elling. I think the Russians were bold, but strapping fuel barrels to the deck is the kind of modification I was thinking of NOT doing. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in an E3 and while it’s acgreat boat I wouldn’t take one across the pond, even with its ability to self right. An E6 might be a different proposition though

Visit site
FPB, most of them could do 3 transats without refuelling. I'd take one of these over a Nordhavn any day, shame production of FPB's has now ended.

Another alternative, the LRC 58 by Dickie boats.

Greg2

Visit site
Yep, I know the owner of Elling. I think the Russians were bold, but strapping fuel barrels to the deck is the kind of modification I was thinking of NOT doing. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in an E3 and while it’s acgreat boat I wouldn’t take one across the pond, even with its ability to self right. An E6 might be a different proposition though

Me neither! To be honest I think that I am with Nigel Pickin’s previous statement and it would be the QM2 as a minimum!

IDAMAY

Visit site
Fleming doesn’t have the range without bladders - also semi D which might not be tough enough
Outer reef might be a candidate

I take your point about the range of a Fleming but, if it can take on the Galapagos, Alaska, Iceland and Greenland, I don't see why it couldn't manage the Atlantic via the ARC route. After all Nigel's Lagoon 450S, nice boat that it is, ain't no Fleming.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Northern Marine? This type of boats seems to be a lot more common (unsurprisingly) on the US and Canadian West Coast, especially up Seattle/Vancouver way.

IDAMAY

Visit site
Fair enough. I just wonder if a semi D Hull is as good as a heavy pure D hull

Possibly not which takes us back to the QM2 or a Nordhavn perhaps. I like the Outer Reef range amongst a number of other US type trawlers. I wonder if your original question was purely of general interest. I would love to do some boating in the US but reckon the best way to do that would be to sell over here and buy over there. I don't really feel the need to confront the Atlantic in a small boat, however well found and capable. Anyway, probably largely a pipe dream for me.

MapisM

Visit site
Northern Marine?
+1.
I've seen in flesh two of their "old school" boats around the 60' mark, plus the protagonist of the notorious failed launch, while she was being built.
And impressive doesn't begin describing the commercial-style construction, particularly in the former boats.
It's a shame that the launch of the latter, eventually, marked the end of the yard.
Actually, not long ago I was told that a new investor is trying to resurrect NM (as mentioned also in this Passagemaker article).
I don't know how successfully so far, though. All the very best to them, of course.

Anyhow, 'fiuaskme, I'd have a NM built during the Bud LeMieux years rather than a Nordie any day.
Or a mighty Delta Marine trawler, just as another example - though they are as rare as hens' teeth.
Not that Nordhavns are bad obviously, but NM and DM are even better, imho.
In fact, the first adjective that invariably pops to my mind when talking of Nordies is overrated.

On a rather different note, I never had the opportunity to see any of the boats mentioned by WTR in his post #7 - neither the ones built by Circa nor by Dickie.
But on paper, I agree that they should be pretty good machines for crossing oceans - possibly even better than traditional trawlers, in fact.

All that said, I still disagree with the old NP statement about QM2 being the best alternative.
For ocean crossing, four engines jetliners are the one and only no brainer choice. Till someone will build one with five, that is...
I guess there must be a point in a type of cruising which is boring at best and scaring at worst, but I for one don't get it! :rolleyes: