Non-slip for dory - reasonably priced - recommendations ?

pragmatist

Visit site
Currently refurbishing our dory and want to renew the non-slip. Don't want to pay megabucks - just want a nice non-slip surface - and have read here that Sandtex exterior wall paint is good stuff. Is Sandtex Fine Textured Masonry Paint the right stuff ? Is it any exterior wall paint or is Sandtex better than other brands for this purpose ?

Also, other than making the existing gloss and non-slip surfaces clean, grease-free etc, is there any recommended preparation ?

P

lw395

Visit site
The bits you stand on, but never sit on, gloss paint with sand mixed in works well.
Not good for bits you sit on, it wears oilies too much.
The fine sandtex is OK, but not as long lasting as proper deck paint.

Tranona

Visit site
Proper deck paint. Probably 1 tin will do it. Easy to apply, effective and lasts better than alternatives.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
PBO tested a number of non-slip paints recently. Other than the professional ones by International, etc., they looked at Sandtex and at alternative methods like sprinkling sugar and adding fine sand to wet gloss paint. They painted the plank used by visitors to Hantu Biru at Beaulieu boat jumble last year with all the test paints, surely more wear than any normal deck would ever see. All survived pretty well and all provided reasonable non-slip but the cheap alternatives attracted more dirt and were more difficult to clean.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
PBO tested a number of non-slip paints recently. Other than the professional ones by International, etc., they looked at Sandtex and at alternative methods like sprinkling sugar and adding fine sand to wet gloss paint. They painted the plank used by visitors to Hantu Biru at Beaulieu boat jumble last year with all the test paints, surely more wear than any normal deck would ever see. All survived pretty well and all provided reasonable non-slip but the cheap alternatives attracted more dirt and were more difficult to clean.

Perhaps the fact that "the cheap alternatives" do not have an advertising budget had something to do with it? I could be wrong but I would say that the only reason for "more dirt" would depend largely on the grit size and not much else.

I have been using exterior house paint containing extremely fine sand (Finetex or something similar) tinted to precisely the colour I want for the past fifteen years or so and do not find it any more difficult to clean; nothing special, just using a hose from the pontoon and a squirt of dishwashing liquid for spots where people smear suntan oil.

ben_m

Visit site
We've put the article online at http://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/deck-paints-test-17514
The Sandtex had clumps of aggregate which were less well distributed through the paint than the 'deck' paints, but the grip was as good if not better.
Cleaning was another matter - the large size and random spacing of the grit meant that it trapped the dirt and made it hard to remove, especially in the sand sprinkled on paint with a coat over the top.

Ben
PBO

snowleopard

Visit site
I tried fine Sandtex for 3 seasons. It is certainly non-slip but it started to stain within weeks and half way through a season looks absolutely ****. What's more it starts to flake after a year or two and is then hard to get back to a decent surface.

Domestic gloss paint with grit works OK for a year or two but it's not up to a marine environment. To get anything long lasting you need to spend the money on e.g. International.

Instead of sand which is hard on clothing and skin, I recommend microspheres. Blakes market it as 'non-slip pearls' but I know it as 'Fillite' which is the same stuff but at a tiny fraction of the price. Mix in a small amount with the paint and it gives a textured finish.

When sprinkling grit on paint, most people aim for a coverage like the side of a Swan Vestas box. That is overkill and you really need no more than 3 or 4 grains per sq cm.

pragmatist

Visit site
Thanks for all your answers. Sorry for the delay in replying - dory refurb interrupted by spouse eye refurb - he's such a nuisance :)

Sounds as though it may be worth "proper" deck paint - we used it on an earlier boat to very smart effect. We're thinking of doing Sans Serif's coach roof as well as the dory floor so there will be a bit more paint needed.

SnowLeopard - didn't understand what paint you were recommending to mix in the microspheres ? And where do you get Fillite in small quantities ?

Cheers
Penny