Noddy question

Lakesailor

Visit site
So when you arrive in the boat you , presumably, tie the boat on with a line through the ring
having done so how do you get the dinghy off
Also when you leave the boat has to be released to tie the dinghy on in the way you show. How do you hold the boat whilst you are doing this?

Not an issue. The ring is not really for mooring to on this type of buoy. I used strops attached to the riser chain with a pickup buoy. In this pic I had a chain strop and a nylon one. I gave up on the chain as it corroded very badly at the point which was awash.

Mooring.jpg

Two ends of the same bit of chain. freshwater.

chainmooringstrop.jpg

Boo2

Visit site
I'm sure there will be "proper" way of doing it but for me, it depends on what I'm securing it to. If there's a convenient bollard, I often make a Bowline and drop the loop over the bollard. When attaching it to the boat I usually do the same and drop the loop over a cleat. If I was securing to a ring, I guess a round turn and two half hitches would be the one to use.
It always seems to me that a round turn + two half hitches is a little insecure, is there any reason not to use a round turn and a bowlin ?

Boo2

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
It always seems to me that a round turn + two half hitches is a little insecure, is there any reason not to use a round turn and a bowlin ?Boo2
Only that a bowline is difficult to undo if there is any weight on the warp. I've never seen a round turn and 2 half hitches come undone except in the very slipperiest of warps.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
When securing the dinghy to shore/ring/yacht I have a shortish line with a BIG carabiner on the end. Not the locking type. THen it is a quick snap to be secure. No fussing with knots and a very long line.
https://www.s3i.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Carbine-Hook-160mm-With-Eye.html One of the best things ever!

I have a separate line for towing that in fact is a bridle attached to the rings on the sides of the dinghy. The central ring/handle is not meant for the load of towing apparently

TudorSailor

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Another vote for the spring loaded clip. 13 years as a liveaboard with daily dinghy use and it has never gone walkabout.

I can always manage to clip on but am not sure of of my ability to tie any kind of knot after a few Dark and Stormies especially if Rick on Island Time is pouring the rum.

I have also retrieved the odd dink floating through anchorage trailing it's painter. Sunsail used to provide their customers with polyprop painters yes they float but boy are they slippery when you try to tie knots in them.

Spyro

Visit site
OP should not worry too much over such things. A bowline is the most useful knot on a boat and the more practice you get the better so I always use a bowline for attaching dinghy. Mine is a hard ali dinghy so always moored far behind the boat to avoid banging. However to board or disembark I hook the painter around a mid ships cleat to hold the dinghy next to the cockpit. good luck olewill

+1. worrying to much over nothing. I would say there is no right way, probably a few wrong ways but you'll know which is best.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
oxo, bowline or RT and 21/2 hitches. I mostly use OXO as I have the cleats for it. With a ring I am normaly visiting and so use the RT and 2 1/2 hitches but with a loop so that it is easy to undo. Bowline gets you out of trouble most times and you should learn to do it until it is automatic. It is OK to start with rabbits and trees but once you can do it blindfold in the dark, during an eclipse and with the lights turned out you never have to think about it again.

I attach my dinghy to the stern through a fairlead. When under way I sometimes take it over the top of the pushpit to bring the nose up and prevent it getting in the way. At a pontoon I stick it anywhere that is convenient and does not cause others problems. If it is a dinghy pontoon remember to leave it on a long line so that others can push it out of the way to board and alight.

almost anything which is quick, easy, doesn't slip and tighten, and is easy to release, provides an answer. RT and 2 1/2 hitches looks good - which is also important as it confers status on the knotter.

Perhaps RT and 4 or 5 1/2 hitches.
I once witnessed a French instructor with a very strong accent showing a trainee how tie a RT&2HH. She later found that he had tied a round turn with a considerable number of half hitches. On asking why he had tied so many she received the reply "But you said ' tie a round turn and twelve fishes' " ! It's a true story, honest:)

Avocet

Visit site
Late Father-In-Law was in the RN during the war and always used to say 2 half hitches was plenty - three for a king's yacht.