No visa required?

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
After brexit will our status re visas be changed? We are not in the schengen area currently and don't require a visa, but from 2021 we will require an ETIAS which will be available on line.
But what happens from March to 2021?
As Shady is in the med and ssr registered will I have any problems next year cruising around
I really can't believe that it will be a problem as there are a lot of us in the med.

ANDY_W

Visit site
From what I have read in newspaper reports, from March 29th next year, UK visitors to the Schengen Area will be limited to 90 days in any period of 180 days. So, for example, if you are stopped and checked on a given day, the criteria will be how many days you have been in the Schengen Area in the 179 days before that given day.
Visas will not be required for short visits. The above applies to both a 'deal' or 'no deal' Brexit.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the transition period goes ahead then UK visitors will be treated as if citizens of EU countries so we could carry on as at present until the end of the transition period. However, I have been unable to find where I saw that.

As an aside, I have seen it suggested that, in the more laid back countries, officialdom would perhaps be less than diligent in applying the new rules. Can I suggest that to rely on that happening would be unwise. The possible consequences are impounding of your boat, arrest of all who have overstayed, a massive fine, deportation back to the UK, and possible ban on re-entry to the Schengen Area for a number of years.
Further, your boat and contents represents a large chunk of money, possibly in the hands of the local authorities of a low wage and legally fluid country; you can draw your own conclusions.

As always in such matters, the above is solely my view and you should make your own enquiries.

Crisby

Visit site
Andy, I was also under the impression that 90 in 180 would only be after the transition period, the end of December 2021, I have the opportunity to take the next 2 summers off work and as the boat is currently in the med we are planning on more than 90 in 180 for the next 2 summers.

As I understand it though, that will not apply in the event of a no deal Brexit and we will then be stuck with 90 in 180 in the Schengen parts of the med from the end of March next year. Our timing is pretty crap at the moment as we bought a 12.5 metre boat to cruise the whole summer in Greece the year Brexit and the Greek cruising tax kicks in but after waiting 20 years to do it we’re not putting it off any longer!

Chris

ANDY_W

Visit site
Chris

As I said above, I thought that I had read somewhere that what you say about the transition period might be the case but I cant find where I read it. If you have a reference, I'd be grateful.

Good luck with your plans!

Crisby

Visit site
Andy, I’ll see what I can find but I have a feeling it may have been something we read in the paper and we all know how wrong that can be! I will try and find a reference though as it will help my peace of mind.

By the way, I’m writing this in Vietnam where it is 1030 am, so if you’re in the UK I hope this subject is not keeping you awake at night!

Chris

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Come on guys youre woken me up with your worries, I trying to sleep , or maybe it wasn't you but the call for pray .
Some say I am burrying my head in the sand and not worrying about what's going to happen when the shit hit the fan ,
I looking at it this way with so many brits with boats throwing money around like no to morrow , are they really going to limit us to 90 days and lose all our cash , some how , some thing , will be sorted out , and if not then we follow the Ozs, NZ ,American as they seen to find a way around it , sure we will do .
Chris enjoy your new boat , Andy stop reading the papers , Im off back to bed now they stop calling .

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Crisby: this is issue was recently done to death, here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?510128-Visas

1. As suggested, if no-deal, then UK citizens may need visas from next March, which would limit them to 90 days in 180.
2. If the deal on the table goes through, then full freedom of movement would continue until the end of the transition period.
3. In the latter case, travel after that time would probably not need a visa (as is the case with many 'third countries' now), but may well have the same time limit.
4. In case 1, the parties (UK and EU27) may well agree at some stage to allow visa-free, but time-limited, travel. Nations do not need a Brexit process to make agreements. Whether this happens would depend, amongst other things, on reciprocity: we'll do x for your citizens if you do x for ours.

Last edited:

Crisby

Visit site
Thanks Mac, I knew I’d seen it somewhere and this forum is probably far more reliable than the papers!

Vic, one of the disadvantages of being in a utc +7 hr time zone is that I have to wait til early afternoon for any interesting posts! I’ll try and keep the noise down next time, enjoy your lie in.

Chris

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No, Vic: test match crickit.
(Sorry, that may be lost on a man with your problem with words.)
Anyway, top of the morning to you. Have a splendid day.

I thought tho little basted only made noise late in the evening . :)
Take away there bats that what I say .

Last edited:

davethedog

Visit site
An anxious time for us, as we are looking to retire and head to the med next summer for many years (at least that is the current plan).

Fingers crossed it will work out for us!

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
Come on guys youre woken me up with your worries, I trying to sleep , or maybe it wasn't you but the call for pray .
Some say I am burrying my head in the sand and not worrying about what's going to happen when the shit hit the fan ,
I looking at it this way with so many brits with boats throwing money around like no to morrow , are they really going to limit us to 90 days and lose all our cash , some how , some thing , will be sorted out , and if not then we follow the Ozs, NZ ,American as they seen to find a way around it , sure we will do .
Chris enjoy your new boat , Andy stop reading the papers , Im off back to bed now they stop calling .

Vic, It's a call to pray - not call to bed. get up and pray :)

capnsensible

Visit site
After brexit will our status re visas be changed? We are not in the schengen area currently and don't require a visa, but from 2021 we will require an ETIAS which will be available on line.
But what happens from March to 2021?
As Shady is in the med and ssr registered will I have any problems next year cruising around
I really can't believe that it will be a problem as there are a lot of us in the med.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for-british-nationals-travelling-and-living-in-europe

Tranona

Visit site
Just to move it on a bit. The "political" declaration going to the summit on Sunday (if it happens) explicitly says that there will be no visas for those not going for work, but is silent on time limitations, as well as many other things, including movement of boats.

However this is all just promises and assumes, first that all EU states agree with the "agreement", it gets through parliament and the promises actually turn into actions. The speculation in the papers this morning is that getting agreement at Brussels level is the easy bit and the horse trading with individual states will be far more difficult. Think France and fishing, Spain for fishing and Gibraltar, Germany and France for financial services etc etc.

So, relax and go with the flow.

macd

Visit site

That's all very well so far as it goes.

It tells us that if the current deal is agreed and accepted, life continues much as before. There's nothing to worry about for a couple of years so far as EU travel is concerned.

If, on the other hand, the current deal is not accepted and there's a no deal Brexit, then it tells us nothing we don't already know if we've been paying attention. This is not through any fault of the authors, but because it's unknowable.

Not ideal. But no amount of fretting will change it.

nortada

Visit site
As an aside, I have seen it suggested that, in the more laid back countries, officialdom would perhaps be less than diligent in applying the new rules. Can I suggest that to rely on that happening would be unwise. The possible consequences are impounding of your boat, arrest of all who have overstayed, a massive fine, deportation back to the UK, and possible ban on re-entry to the Schengen Area for a number of years.
Further, your boat and contents represents a large chunk of money, possibly in the hands of the local authorities of a low wage and legally fluid country; you can draw your own conclusions.

As always in such matters, the above is solely my view and you should make your own inquiries.

I would suggest, a touch of speculation, backed up with a dose project fear in this post but I agree your last sentence, all should investigate the future in the light of their circumstances.

That aside, the future post Brexit has exercised many minds on this sub-forum and what is becoming apparent, whatever the EU may claim about a common front on FoM post Brexit, individual EU states (and even different areas within those states), currently take very different lines on visitors and I, for one, cannot see this changing much post Brexit. More likely each country will continue to pursue it's own policy.

Schengen could present a problem when entering from a non-EU country and this is why many British folk in Portugal are exercising their right as an citizen of the EU and getting a 5 year Certificado De Registo De Cidadao Da Uniao Europeia issued before Mar 19 (post Mar 19 this right may no longer exist). This certificate, which will lead on to full residencia, should permit continued access to Portugal and possibly the rest of the Schengen zone (without a visa?).

Then there is the issue of bi-lat agreements between individual countries and grandfather rights, commented on by the new British Ambassador to Portugal.

Who knows? Only the future will tell.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Or read the link.

But that is the 16 November and a lot has happened since then which does not change the transition period, but does start to bring the post transition situation into focus - all with the caveats that none of this may happen at all or some of the fundamentals might change in a typical last minute EU fudge.

capnsensible

Visit site
There is no 'but'. It is the Government statement and includes what happens if there is no deal, is continuously updated and you can even sign up to have the latest sent to you.

Don't know why people are in such denial about this, it's not from some yacht club bar, it's direct from the source of where it's happening.

https://www.gov.uk/government/brexit

There is a mass of information there. But it doesn't sell gin and tonic......