No Room at the Marina ? Swale Marina (Conyer)

oldgit

Visit site
Just tried to book two smallish boats into Conyer over Bank holiday weekend.
"Sorry, but we are not accepting visitors."
In the past have anyways found them to be most helpful of marinas with up to 15 + boats being accomodated, sometimes at very short notice.
Something we have done ?
Whats going on ?

oldgit

Visit site
Booked up possibly ?
I was going in one time and the Dunkirk Little Ships flotilla was on it's way out. Lots of em.
Could be but been going in there for nigh on 15 years and they have always found a spare corner in the past, initially it was a single boat looking for a weekend berth.
The rest of us are off to the delights.....al la Ramsgate

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Whats going on ?

Revenue maximization in difficult financial times. Marinas prefer the guaranteed income from all berths permanently occupied rather than the variable income from leaving some berths free for visitors. It's a particularly acute problem in Wales where there are now almost no allocated visitor berths along the whole coast. Last summer I was moving a boat north and was turned away from every Welsh marina I asked.

Scotland however is much more visitor oriented, especially once you are beyond Oban, on the islands or not in the Clyde. Many of the marinas or pontoons are entirely, or almost entirely, for visitors.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Revenue maximization in difficult financial times. Marinas prefer the guaranteed income from all berths permanently occupied rather than the variable income from leaving some berths free for visitors. It's a particularly acute problem in Wales where are now almost no allocated visitor berths along the whole coast. Last summer I was moving a boat north and was turned away from every Welsh marina I asked.
If that was the boat you currently own, they might just have been a little backward. The Hamble harbourmaster wasn’t keen on us using his pontoon last year, at a club cruising event, but our club commodore intervened. No dramas, we just folded.

oldgit

Visit site
Usually we just occupied any vacant moorings where the resident boat had gone away for the weekend.
Perhaps nobody is going anywhere an more ?
No reason given but normally some explanation offered.
Suspect there is something else going on behind the scenes.