NMEA0183 to NMEA2000

SovereignDiver

Visit site
Has anyone managed to get their "older" nmea0183 kit to talk to the newer nmea2000 kit?
If so how?
I have a load of older Raymarine kit fitted, sounder, speed log, gps, radome etc., and want it to talk to the NMEA2000 bus on my Garmin system.
Ta. :)

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Has anyone managed to get their "older" nmea0183 kit to talk to the newer nmea2000 kit?
If so how?
I have a load of older Raymarine kit fitted, sounder, speed log, gps, radome etc., and want it to talk to the NMEA2000 bus on my Garmin system.

Does your Garmin system include a plotter? One of the 8inch + ones? with a 19 pin plug coming out of the back?

If so, the plotter will output and input NMEA0183 for you

The radome might not be able to talk to/be displayed on the garmin system btw

If you don't have a plotter then Actisense could be able to help

gjgm

Visit site
If so how?
Hmm. I have to praise Garmin and Airmar support staff for all their prompt efforts, but the result is I am going to fit Garmin front to back on the transducer angle.
I cant get Raymarine to work with Garmin despite goodness knows how much effort all round, and two months of trying. Rip it out, flog it, and start again with Garmin.
No one can fathom out why it doesnt work, but that isnt getting me anywhere.

SovereignDiver

Visit site
Nmea0183 bus crossing to nmea2000 network

Hi gjgm.
Have you tried the actisense option mentioned in the earlier posting?
I had located it on the Internet but would like to know if it is an option worth pursuing.
In regard to another previous post I do have a Garmin plot so most probably have the 19 pin plug mentioned, but being a Luddite, haven't a clue on how I will connect my Raymarine nmea0183 bus to it.
Anyone able to confirm the actisense option?

jfm

Visit site
haven't a clue on how I will connect my Raymarine nmea0183 bus to it.

You can't connect the bus to it, for 2 reasons

First the Raymarine bus isn't pure nmea0183, it's ST1 which is similar but not identical.

Second, the Garmin nmea0183 input will not listen to a busload of data. You can only connect each nmea0183 talker directly and individually (ie not bussed) to the appropriate wires in the 19pin connector. When doing this, if you have more talkers than you have avaialble listening ports on the garmin then you need a multiplexer

Some of the raymarine devices like the depth unit will only talk ST1 not nmea0183 (I think) so you might have to connect all these devices to a Raym plotter then take the nmea0183 output from the plotter and connect that to the nmea0183 on the garmin. And set both units to talk/hear the right sentences so that all the data you want on the garmin gets sent along the nmea0183 link (settin gs for this are deep in the menus)

It's worth considering dumping the 0183 and going all n2k

npf1

Visit site
Another potential solution: a Raymarine ST290 DPU has inputs/outputs for Seatalk, NMEA 2000 and NMEA183 AND, IIR, it will convert between each. I'm not too sure what NMEA 2000 PGNs it supports but if you look through the documentation I think they are there.