Nimbus 370/380, Aquastar 38 or Hardy 36?

Falling Star

Visit site
We are thinking about our next boat and have narrowed it down to (probably) one of these 3.

No specific boats to see as there doesn't seem to be much choice of these craft for sale right now. Just looking at the plusses and minuses at the moment.

Any opinions appreciated. Also any suggestions for an alternative. We are keen to have a sliding door on one or both sides.

Bandit

Visit site
There are several Aquastar 38's on Aquastar's brokerage section including two recent ones and some older models including an Aquastar 38 aft cabin just listed on the Aquastar website: http://www.aquastar.gg/node/130

There are also a number of 47/48's which are now good value a lot of boat for the money.

A good solid seaworthy boat.

I have an Aquastar 48S but all built like the proverbial brick out house.

Our 48 is easy to handle just the wife and I and at Easter week end with the kids and partners we had seven on board.

If you want to talk about 48's or 38's
give me a pm.

Last edited:

Firefly625

Visit site
Nice shortlist. I have a very good friend who is a Master Mariner and who we do a lot of our boating in the company of, will not allow me to buy a Nimbus, so I have never looked that closely at them. I have previously owned a Hardy, a sound well built boat and I have looked at Aquastar and they are again right up my street as far as motorboats go. Both the Hardy and Aquastar fulfil a very similar list of vital criteria for boating in my opinion, high quality build, not massed produced, British built, heavy semi-displacement boats and very seaworthy hulls. The Aquastar 38 does come in aft cockpit which would always be my preferred choice (I know I am odd), but assuming like most sound minded people you want aft cabin, but also the AS 38 does come in a 3 cabin layout which if you are after 3 cabins will narrow your search as the Hardy is only ever a 2 cabin layout.

Nice to have a focus on a search, I am at a point where we could change boats (I won't say upgrade as for me it will be hard to surpass my Mitchell which I love..), and do not have the foggiest idea what to get. I have come to the realisation having thought I would buy new that I don't actually like new boats, all this ikea, or white oak finishes are just not my thing. I like narrow dark dingy boats with lots of teak, they have a soul and character imho.. (I know I am odd). If a 2 cabin AQ 38 aft cockpit came up with the right engines I might buy.. or a possibly a Cygnus Cyfish Pilot.. or Lochin 333 with extended wheelhouse... I've gone all commercial sorry (I can tell most people reading this will have eyes glazing over)

But a lot then comes down to (as from what you say you are looking at used), the right one turning up. it tends to be sods law when you start to prefer the idea of getting say an AS then a mint Hardy 36 comes up!

Stuartwineburg on this forum had a Hardy 36, then a Hardy Mariner 26 (which is what I had), now turned to the dark side. But he might chip in if he sees this thread.

..and I know Nimbus owners and most people wax lyrical about Nimbus, I am just unable to give constructive comment on them so will leave others to do so..

Last edited:

Bandit

Visit site
All Aquastars are more or less custom built so most boats are to the First owners preference, its worth looking at several to get a feel for what you like.

Aft cabin or aft cockpit is owner preference but an aft cockpit has much larger cabin space.

AllanG

Visit site
...I have a very good friend who is a Master Mariner and who we do a lot of our boating in the company of, will not allow me to buy a Nimbus......

I'm very intrigued as to what your 'Master Mariner' friend has to say about Nimbus boats, to the extent that he wouldn't let you buy one!!??

Having previously owned a Nimbus 320C for four years, I have nothing but praise for the brand, as I found my 320C to be very well built, with an excellent semi-displacement hull, and I would have no hesitation in recommending the brand.

Firefly625

Visit site
I'm very intrigued as to what your 'Master Mariner' friend has to say about Nimbus boats, to the extent that he wouldn't let you buy one!!??

Having previously owned a Nimbus 320C for four years, I have nothing but praise for the brand, as I found my 320C to be very well built, with an excellent semi-displacement hull, and I would have no hesitation in recommending the brand.

glad you had a good experience of them, as said I have no experience, but my friend had surveyed and advised a boat yard repairing one on a large insurance claim after grounding, it was after that he surmised I should not look at one. But he too runs a commercial boat and not a pleasure boat and so his standard of requirement is different to you or I, unfortunately I would never hear the end of it if I went against his advice.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Struck me as strange too. Every Nimbus I have seen has been a very well put together craft built to the highest of standards. And their reputation is almost legendary.

Firefly625

Visit site
Struck me as strange too. Every Nimbus I have seen has been a very well put together craft built to the highest of standards. And their reputation is almost legendary.

LJS, read my response to Allan, I am no expert - but I do very much value my dear friends advice. However nobody else needs to, and it was just his opinion!

Glad that Allan has good things to say about them, it widens the OP's choice!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
LJS, read my response to Allan, I am no expert - but I do very much value my dear friends advice. However nobody else needs to, and it was just his opinion!

Glad that Allan has good things to say about them, it widens the OP's choice!

ok, have now read it.

benjenbav

Visit site
I had a Aquastar 33 for a number of years (basically similar hull to the 38). I would echo the comments above as to each interior being different and accordingly a matter of individual preference and availability. I thought it was well-built except that at about 15 years I had to have the rudder stock mountings cut out and rebuilt.

In a beam sea they roll like a pig which is not to everyone's taste but the motion stays pretty much the same as the sea state worsens. Heading into waves is wet work. Radar is a good idea if for no other reason than you don't tend to linger outside and can't see anything ahead from inside.

They are slow and pretty thirsty above displacement speed. Engine bay is pretty tight with two decent-sized lumps in it. Engine access requires lifting saloon floor, so best done when people aren't trying to transition across same.

brainstorm

Visit site
I have had a Nimbus 310 and now have a Nimbus 380. The surveyors used on each purchase had nothing but praise for the breed so I also am surprised to hear of your friend's comments. However if you do consider a 380 I am happy to answer any queries.

Firefly625

Visit site
What about a Dale 38... dont need to listen to the weather forecast then!

Dale Nelson 38 one of my all time favourites. Only a Seward 42 aft cockpit could improve on it. yes narrow, rolly, little accommodation, little entertaining space, but when you are as unfriendly as I it don't matter, just love them.

of course a Northline 42 comes close... but a bit bulky IMO

Last edited:

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Dale Nelson 38 one of my all time favourites. Only a Seward 42 aft cockpit could improve on it. yes narrow, rolly, little accommodation, little entertaining space, but when you are as unfriendly as I it don't matter, just love them.

of course a Northline 42 comes close... but a bit bulky IMO

Have a look at Zooth on nelson yacht brokerage....unfriendly man boat :)

superheat6k

Visit site
Slightly shorter, but otherwise ticking your boxes has to be the Corvette, including the side door, and a real pedigree, and decent boats available too. Please visit our website (link below).These are displacement boats that with larger engines will plane, and the largest will plane at 28 knots.