Nicked !!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Went down to river today and noticed a big heavy old Picnic Table has vanished. It's not even a nice one just a great big old lump that the local pub gave me. Ah well! I suppose some Narrowboat somewhere is sporting it as an accessory. It will not be someone on a real boat, it would mark a real boat too badly getting it aboard.

Chris_d

Visit site
Unbelieveable /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif they will probably try and use it for fire wood, being covered in preservative it will smoke like buggary /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Actualy theres a couple near me with wood burning stoves I'll see what their burning next time I walk past.

MatthewCoyne

Visit site
As an owner of both a Narrowboat on the Thames and a Yacht ( as in REAL boat ) on the south coast, both of which cost me a fortune to keep, I OBJECT to the comments made regarding Narrowboat owners being thieves. These are the sort of comments that have NO relevance in forums like these. I have been a Marine engineer on the Thames for 20 years, and live on my narrowboat all year round. It is people like my wife and I who live and breathe the Thames, keep an eye out for thieves, polluters, speeders, etc when you fair weather sailors have gone back to your semi in Suburbia somewhere that keep the Thames a safe and relaxing place to be for everyone, not just GRP boats, but EVERYONE !

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Matthew

Welcome to the forum

I agree with your sentiments 100% maybe Byrons comment was tongue in cheek nevertheless uncalled for

Personally I have a fibre glass thing which we use on a weeky basis on the thames and my view is that the river is for all to enjoy raggies robos and narrowboats ok I object to the robos antisocial behaviour but I certainly dont object to their presence I find the narrowboating chaps a friendly lot and have often rafted up with them

I hope you will not let this put you off this forum as we are a friendly bunch here

byron

RIP
Visit site
Sorry! I apologise without reservation. Of course I realise that many Narrowboaters aren't thieving scumbags. It's just that every time there's an incident it seems a narrowboat DHSS live-aboard is involved and of course one's view is tainted about the rest.

David_Jersey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a narrowboat DHSS live-aboard

[/ QUOTE ]

F#ck me!, your Gov't pays people to live on Boats on holiday?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

How do I apply?

Sammo

Visit site
Don`t get your feathers ruffled Matthew, now it`s getting colder chances are the table was taken for firewood, probably chucked in the river then towed away to be cut up somewhere quiet, so it could have been any sort of boat even a dingy with oars that took it. But where did it end up.
Now let me see, what boat type usually has a wood burning stove fitted?.yes?

Byron is entitled to complain when he is robbed and as his post makes people aware it does have relevance, unless of course the pub came and took the table back.

As for your comment that you keep an eye out for thieves, polluters, speeders and are making the Thames a safe and relaxing place to be well I`ve got news for you sunshine,
You`re not doing a very good job.

o yes and welcome to the forum

……

MatthewCoyne

Visit site
Seems to me that I have opened a can of worms here. I appreciate all the replies that have appeared today, and I for one am amazed at the comments directed towards Narrowboaters. I find the vast majority of these ditch crawler crews are pretty amicable, but there are always going to be the minority that cause trouble, and also stake claim to every mooring near a popular spot, and get upset when you raft up to 'em, so in some respects they are a pain in the arse. However, these same narrowboaters bring a lot of trade to the Thames, all year round, well, when the locks aren't closed so I am not going to upset 'em. Yes there are the DHSS types , as some people call them, who do cause trouble, but we are going to weed them out, and get rid of 'em.
Finally, we do pay Council Tax, and in our Stretch or the river, Bourne End-Marlow, we dont get too much grief from Speeders, thieves, etc. I guess we are the exception then.
Regards.
Matt

nickcred

Visit site
MMMh, Wonder if that was the one that the lock keeper at Goring was dragging out of the water on Thursday morning? Had a great half term week on the river, very, very quiet. Went past your place on Wednesday Byron then moored at Wallingford overnight - now the heart ache of the boat coming out next week :-(

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nick, No! The one that went missing is far too heavy for one person to pull out. I was a big old heavy duty jobby. Needed two people just to move it. Normally when something is swiped like a sunshade or whatever it's a Narrowboat. I've actually caught them before now. The other day I looked out and a Narrowboat was mooring against a no mooring sign and by the time I got down there they were already 'exploring' inside the Marquee. This is what prompted me to get into gear and get it down. Once I was sitting in the Beetle & Wedge and it started to rain. A Narrowboat pulled in the skipper jumped off, grabbed an umbrella and immediately drove off. He was caught at Benson Lock with it. I got a zillion stories I could relate.

nickcred

Visit site
The lock keepers face was a picture when just as he got two legs onto the side, the stream took me and bumped me into the lock layby with enough of a bang to cause the precariously balanced picnic table on a length of rope back into the drink /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Luckily he smiled again when I helped him drag it out the last foot or so.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Reminds me of tales of greek skippers on liberty ships.....God am I that old LOL /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grease Monkey John

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of tales of greek skippers on liberty ships.....God am I that old LOL /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grease Monkey John

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY! My Dad was one of those Skippers and Greek too. I have to confess we used to bring all sorts of goodies back. My fondest memory being the Mercedes Staff Car he brought back from Germany in 1945. I understand he gave a carton of Lucky Strike for it. We had it until about 1947 when it was traded for a Jaguar.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Oh I did know that LOL!!!!!!!.....along with a few other CARDIFF characters....Even a welsh lord Sir Leighton had a liberty ship and some greek skippers had very very very pretty daughters /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ahhhhhhhhhhh Tina...

John

byron

RIP
Visit site
Clear off you bloddy toffee nosed Welsh Public Schoolboy. You shouldn't be in the Thames Forum what with your Rag & Stick and sailing it in stroppy jock waters, not for you the perils of Narrowboats & Rowers. All you have to contend with is Force 8s in the Orkneys and Porridge throwing Tartaneers.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I just pop along the Thames occasionally for light respite and when entertaining southern ladies of uncertain age /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way.....They tell me there is a new picnic table at the Outrigger in Kingston /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Bit waterlogged!!!

Tis about time I was in your waters again but will wait till the Pimms is flowing freely...

Made a few calls to Shillingford Bridge Hostelry dodging helicopters on the lawn.

Nearly bought a narrow boat down your way but it seemed like political suicide so now waiting for a grotty Linssen Sturdy in my price range.. More acceptable to the harbour master at Ashmount:)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Blimey, you still seeing PooPoo Peggy? I haven't heard her name mentioned since forever. BTW. The Outrigger is pulled down and Roy Stringer has gone to the big marina in the sky.
A Linsen Sturdy eh! Well you rag & stick merchants are used to single screw. I guess if you get one we can offer you an overnight mooring but I will have to consult with others on the Forum some might be a bit racist and object to a Taffy Ship's Chief Engineer who normally boats in Jock Waters. You may have picked up some bad habits such as tossing your Caber in front of ladies.