Nice bulkhead berth/cabin/reading lights.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I need to replace the lights in Sundance as they're literally falling apart. Can anyone recommend a supplier of lamps that would suit a nice 70's yacht? All I'm finding are chrome,modern looking chinese tat. I quite like the original slim type but can't find anything similar but I'll change to sticky out things if I have to.

I'm sure I've seen a stand at the SIBS in the past that just does lighting but can't think what they're called.

Originals if anyone knows of something similar?

FB_IMG_1601749459014.jpg

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Some nice stuff being posted and I like those danish lamps from Calibra but no prices and I imagine they're not cheap.

I did spy the one pvb has posted and it may be the way (with some led replacement bulbs) but they look like they may be white plastic which are going to look rubbish against my bulkhead.

laika

Visit site
Some nice stuff being posted and I like those danish lamps from Calibra but no prices and I imagine they're not cheap.

No not cheap. Think what a crusty PBO reader might consider " a bit dear" then multiply by 5. I may have misremembered but I think the lack of pricing on the website may be more because prices vary by exchange rate rather than an "if you have to ask..." thing. A call will, in my experience, invariably be met by a helpful response.

Paying attention to threads on the motorboat forum about led quality and cri values can lead an owner of an old westerly down the path to over-capitalisation.

Whilst I have spent far too much on fancy german LEDs, the two main ones I installed in the saloon transformed the interior and I have little doubt improved my mental wellbeing during my time as a liveaboard.

One of my most prized possessions is this:
https://www.calibramarine.com/shop/giftware-and-oil-lamps/petrolux/

It's a thing of beauty which you pour oil into and get happiness out.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
No not cheap. Think what a crusty PBO reader might consider " a bit dear" then multiply by 5. I may have misremembered but I think the lack of pricing on the website may be more because prices vary by exchange rate rather than an "if you have to ask..." thing. A call will, in my experience, invariably be met by a helpful response.

Paying attention to threads on the motorboat forum about led quality and cri values can lead an owner of an old westerly down the path to over-capitalisation.

Whilst I have spent far too much on fancy german LEDs, the two main ones I installed in the saloon transformed the interior and I have little doubt improved my mental wellbeing during my time as a liveaboard.

Very nice, how much if you don't mind? Website is not very helpful.

laika

Visit site
Very nice, how much if you don't mind? Website is not very helpful.

Present from first mate (I had coveted it since seeing it in the Calibra showroom at Deacons but couldn't justify the expense) but pricing in Krone on the delite* site:
Petrolux%E2%84%A2+oil+lamp

Combined with the dimmable prebit LEDs my cabin now goes all the way from bright workspace to hygge.

(*Every time I read the manufacturer's mark on the wick adjustment knob I get "Groove is in the heart" playing in my head. This can sometimes be annoying if I was listening to john coltrane or something more mood-appropriate)

Yellow Ballad

Visit site

To be honest I don't mind spending money on good quality things but I'm not sure I can justify £800 on 4 lights, the Prebit do look very nice with the dimmable feature. Do the USB charging point draw power when not in use?

So far I think the Quick Marine Syria light (in warm) is winning, at least for the Vberth. Still not 100% as chrome seems a bit bling. I may take the plunge on something fancy but I'm still cautious about finding something that'll suit the boat.

I really need to have a look at stuff in person.

Oh that oil lamp is VERY nice!

SYRIA 15 LED Barlight / 12 V buy now | SVB

Might you be interested in two of these?

They only need bulbs.

Thank you for the offer but I'm still unsure of what I want.

Have a look at companies that supply bits for caravans, not boats. You might be pleasantly surprised by the wide choice and the prices.

I've been looking but it's even more plasticky tat.

I'll get there eventually.

Thanks all.

Wakatere

Visit site
I've used these Loox 2034 - just lop off the funny connector. Also provides USB charging points at each berth to keep the nav station clear of phones.
Might not fit the scars from the old fittings on your boat, of course. I also had the advantage that they're mounted on the bulkheads with locker space behind to hide the wiring.
Charles

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Try ATEN Lighting, but they are all LED lights. Yours look like fitted with festoon bulbs - so could you fit LED equiavalents? - from Aten lighting or other suppliers'

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Try ATEN Lighting, but they are all LED lights. Yours look like fitted with festoon bulbs - so could you fit LED equiavalents? - from Aten lighting or other suppliers'

To be fair the trio triple looks like some other broken lights I want to replace on the boat and at £15 a pop even with the white plastic caps it may be the way to go.

On the short list with the £200 a pop ones ?

convey

N/A
Visit site
Is it for a reading light or general illumination? I'd go for LED strips and hide them out of sight.

+1 on why does China have to waste so many of the world's resources on making and shipping utter crap all around the world for the sake of earning foreign currency? I hate myself every time I'm fooled or forced into buying something. I call them analogues of the real things they're supposed to be.

Halsey

Visit site
Just to point you to a different/selection - Midland Chandlers Lighting - quite a bit of variety.................reasonably priced clearly some Chinese