Nice bulkhead berth/cabin/reading lights.

convey

N/A
Visit site
No takers for simple LED tape lights fitted under a shelf or trim?

Dare say there's a marine version if you want to pay 5 times as much.

I experimented by pointing some LEDs up, to bounce off the white liner, and it gave a really nice suffuce light. Ditto, instead of lighting up a whole space, only using them where they were needed, eg lighting under steps.

convey

N/A
Visit site
Looks awful, and is from one of those Chinese wholesale junk purveyors. I would touch any of their stuff on principle.

Everytime I have mistakenly dealt with one of them, or had to for not being able to source something else where, it's ended up in a dispute over refund, eg use once and throw away, does not fit, improperly made etc.

Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
No takers for simple LED tape lights fitted under a shelf or trim?

Dare say there's a marine version if you want to pay 5 times as much.

I experimented by pointing some LEDs up, to bounce off the white liner, and it gave a really nice suffuce light. Ditto, instead of lighting up a whole space, only using them where they were needed, eg lighting under steps.

I'm speaking to Aten at the moment who can custom build their lights with strips in a nice aluminium profiles and they'll even fit a dimmable touch button. The strips still seem to use a bit of power though, a metre length in bright light is 9.4W!

convey

N/A
Visit site
I can't tell if you're being being serious or sarcastic. A whole 9 watts?

I'm going to admit when I'm on my own in the boat, I keep a pair of these for first reach or read in the bunk, partly because I don't want to get out to switch anything off.

I also struggle to find classy replacement lights of any sort. They seem to vary between cheap junk and unaffordable with nothing in between.

lightweights_480x480.jpg

convey

N/A
Visit site
That's sort of interesting. It's basically the same as used for network cabling. You could use it to hide other wires.

laika

Visit site
The strips still seem to use a bit of power though, a metre length in bright light is 9.4W!

Call me a power cheapskate but I thought the same thing. From what I've read it's about 20mA per led at 12v. With 60 per metre that's about 14W/metre at full brightness (which if you're tastefully colour fading it won't be). If I were to do under the bookshelves on each side of the cabin and that ends up approaching 50W. The counter argument other than "in practice it'll be less than that" is that I don't have to use them when away from shore power.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I fitted a 30cm Aten lighting in the Aluminium strip housing over the sink on my boat as it was in a dark corner, wired into the existing galley lamp and its very good. Also fitted a similar lamp in the motorhome with a cupboard switch so lights up the wardrobe when the door is opened. All our kitchen cabinets now have them illuminating the cooker and worktop with a suitable transformer of course. Excellent service from Aten Lighting.

convey

N/A
Visit site
If I were to do under the bookshelves on each side of the cabin and that ends up approaching 50W. The counter argument other than "in practice it'll be less than that" is that I don't have to use them when away from shore power.

And, on the other hand, you're getting about 500 watt or 3500 lumen equivalent light from those. Seems a lot. Do you light up your boat like or more than your living room?

I found one rechargeable LED torch, bouncing light off the headlining gives me enough.

laika

Visit site
Do you light up your boat like or more than your living room?

I found one rechargeable LED torch, bouncing light off the headlining gives me enough.

My boat was my living room, hence the importance of good lighting, and if you spend a British winter trying to work in an environment where your only illumination is a torch bounced off the headlining I suspect it will not have a positive effect on your mental health.

The point I was trying to make there was agreeing with Yellow Ballard that the energy consumption of 60-leds-per-metre may add up. Cutting the strip up into smaller pieces you space out is a faff which defeats the convenience of just sticking a strip under the bookshelf. I'm sure dimming them will save energy and I should really do some testing with the strip I bought a while back (but remains in a roll in a locker) but I strongly suspect that well-positioned quality ceiling lighting will end up vastly easier on the power budget. I get excellent lighting in the central part of my oceanlord's saloon from 2x3w recessed ceiling LEDs.

convey

N/A
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't know which boat for which purpose and was only talking generally. I think the comment about uplighting still stands however.

Most downward lighting is just wasted, especially with LEDs that typically have such a narrow focus. A lot of light we live with, not just talking boats here, is reflected light so bounce it off shiney white, not brown (flooring) or fabric. The exceptions being the obvious, eg over work/chart tables etc.

convey

N/A
Visit site
The Neon Flex they advertise is coming up at 15W/m and avoids the spottiness of raw LEDs.

Nice V-ed lining (?) is that original or did you do it yourself? Like the attention to detail around the door.

I'm very happy with these but they weren't cheap. (I'm not sure you can buy them now)

View attachment 100236

Last edited: