Next time it could be your boat!

G

In my marina (Crest Nicholson, Penarth) there's a truly wonderful family with five daughters (aged 1 - 10) who for some years now have lived on a 50' converted wooden fishing trawler - big North Sea job from the '30's.

Even though they have always paid the annual mooring fee, and the marina rule permit liveaboards, Crest Nicholson have just told them to clear out and have refused to renew their mooring contract for this year.

It seems the marina management don't like the look of their boat - it upsets the neighbours because it looks like Noah's Ark. It is clean, there's no laundry hanging around / no potted plants and bicycles - and the children are the politest you will ever meet (they've become my daughter's best friends.

So, Crest Nicholson have decided to have some form of beauty contest. If they like your boat, then all is fine. If not, then they give you a two week warning to clear out, despite several years of residence, liveaboard permission, and hence children in school and working families. Bristol Channel isn't the South Coast - there aren't dozens of alternatives. In Cardiff there are NONE. To do this to such a wonderful family - freinds of dozens of boat owners in the marina - seems to me to be a truly despicable act of corporate arrogance.

If this account bothers you, PLEASE email the management of Crest Nicholson and tell them what you think. If enough members of this forum, and other, plus the marina residents complain, MAYBE they will see they are making a HUGE PR gaff.

The family in question:

Vince & Mary Shalom
M/v Pitkin, Penarth Marina

Crest Nicholson Marinas Limited
Parklands, Stoke Gifford, BS12 6QU
c.n.marinas@aboard.com

Help correct an injustice being done to a fellow sailor. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Humperdinck

ccscott49

Visit site
There must be a way of legally stopping this kind of action, dont we have any legal eagle types on the forum who could enlighten us on this matter, or defend these people?

G

Step 1: email Crest Nicholson

Encourage others to do the same. Let's not just talk about the situation but let Crest Nicholson know how we feel. Only by action can they be stopped and my friends don't have much time - they have been told to leave.

billskip

Visit site
Re: Step 1: email Crest Nicholson

As I mentioned on other bb (same thread) your friends do not have to move without a court order..only the police can move you if you are causing an obstruction to/on a public highway/waterway or right of way...but it may become expensive..This could turn into a legal battle I would advise your friends to seek legal advice...

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Marina Forum

I am one of those in favour of a marina forum so this thread is particularly relevant in that context. Humperdink, in every argument there are always two sides to a story so why not try and get CN to post their reasons for this action on this forum. We have already seen the benefit for the customer of others doing this recently, so how about it?

theduke

Visit site
sadly it looks as though the answer to the problem is in your post .
the management have been approached because the nieghbours are upset, this is a sad fact of life ,some people have no qualms about complaining about the way other people live thier lives.even though they probably only use thier own boat once? a week.
isnt there a berth out of sight from the nieghbours who have complained that nicholsons can offer?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Sounds like CN need some bad publicity. What they are doing is no way to treat anybody and it sounds like the sort of story that a local newspaper in the area could run with. Is there a berth holders association to put pressure on them ? If so not only should they ask for CN to put their reasons in print , but they should contact their local MP. I've already e-mailed.

G

The "out of sight" berth would be better to put the neighbours in, don't you think?

Viking

Visit site
E Mail sent.
Its strange that the extra 'free' security 'eyes' that liveboard bertholders give would be encourged. We still need 'characters' among the plastic!

G

I e-mailed them in my capacity as a yachting journalist (YJA member) asking for their side of the story so that I might write a balanced article. They have not had the manners to reply, so I am now preparing a piece slating them for failing to reply as well as their threatened action.

G

Horrified by this and will write

I was horrified, I also have a boat at the marina and know of this family but only to say hello to though am appalled that anyone should be treated this way. If we don't get this cancelled any chance of organising some form of boycot, say asking everyone we can to do a boycot or petition at their local CR marina at Easter weekend?

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

G

Re: Horrified by this and will write

Thanks Roland,

Yes there are a lot of boat owners in the marina - sail and power - who are unhappy (well, seriously angry) and I know of four, myself included, who would find it distasteful to remain in the marina if the MV Pitkin is evicted.

Spread the word among your friends and acquaintances down there, reminding them that a few liveaboards are healthy for a marina, help to minimise crime, and actually add character to the places.

Most of all, be spreading awareness of the situation - in your club (are you a member of either club in Penart? I'm in the PYC).

Ultimately, if Crest Nicholson don't get the message then we will have to seek much more aggressive publicity for Vince and Mary. For now, the goal is gentle persuasion through gentle nagging.

Stop by and see me - Sergeant Pepper at the end of E pontoon.

Regards,

Humperdinck
07802 809997
HJ@Seacracker.org

(in case anyone wants to get in touch, feel free)

G

I apologise as a new user if anyone including you Humperdinck is reading this for a second time or more but please bear with me, I am new to computers too!

The Shalom Family Houseboat at Penarth Marina is undoubtedly unique. In the normal course of my business affairs, I pass this puddle of a marina every day, and over the 5 years or so since M.V. Picton first came to Penarth, an amazing amount of work has been done. It does not take a rocket scientist, or a sensible marina operator, to work out that there is very little else to do to finish, what has obviously been an extremely arduous, time consuming, financial task.

That being said, with all fees paid in full, (assumption of course) permission to liveaboard all these years and with five children, surely the questioned is why is Crest Nicholson being quite so stupid now? I believe I may have the answer.

About two years ago, my memory recalls that the water levels in the marina were incredibly low and many of the yachts within were obviously touching ground. I recall wondering how the Picton would be. I looked with some amazement as it had not only lost the ability to float, IT WAS ACTUALLY FALLEN OVER TO ONE SIDE! What was that like for the poor family inside?

I suggest that Crest Nicholson is only thinking ahead and running scared of future litigation directly in relation to this negligence and obvious failure in their 'Duty of Care', towards this family boat, their home and perhaps they even may have put their lives at risk? Huh, some professional marina operators hey?

E-mail on its way, and one last point, speaking of Crest looking ahead. Are they expecting a royal visit or something as I cannot help noticing that in the last two to three weeks, since you brought this matter to the attention of the forum, one hell of a lot of activitiy is being spent in tidying up the visual appearance of the marina.

CREST, WE ARE WATCHING YOU!