New Year fireworks!

phatcat1

Visit site
This year SWMBO and myself are on the boat again for New Year.

Last year we went up to Ipswich and celebrated with friends in a pub, however there was a firework display at Harwich which we fancy going to!

Does anyone know if this is being repeated, if so, where do i get info?

There are a few of us that would probably sail down to Shotley and park there for the night (and have a bit of a party!)

Can anyone help as to whats on??

N

FullCircle

Visit site
There is more than a fair chance that Full Circle will be there in Shotley, if not then in person, sans bateau, at least.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
don't know yet...... but we'll be down NYE, and then sail through the long weekend, weather permitting..... I suspect there will be fireworks off Harwich as per usual, so if its calm, we may well go to Halfpenny pier to get a close view..... otherwise, drinkies on board!!!!!!

We'll sort exact details nearer the time....

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
When I was a boy we lived near Shoreham Harbour and every NYE at midnight all the ships in port (times have changed!) sounded their sirens.

Over the years I cannot recall it ever happening in Portsmouth and Rosyth but that might have been as they were more military than merchant. As Officer of Day in RN I rang 16 bells on the only occation I was duty (ring out the old, ring in the new) over New Year.

Apart from the obvious excesses /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, what other NYE traditions are there?

Artemis_C2121

www.sailblogs.com
Yes I can recall when i was a lad just a short time ago listening to the ships in Belfast sounding their horns to welcome in the new year.

Also first footing is big up north and in Northern Ireland

First person to enter the house in the new year should be dark haired should have with them a peice of coal and a bottle of whiske which would spawn NYE parties hopping from house to house.

Habebty

Visit site
I can definitely remember the navy blowing every siren, horn, hooter etc. at midnight in Portsmouth Harbour from about 1968 to 1975. Most HM ships also had xmas trees hoisted up the mast as well.
I used to live next to Priddy's Hard Depot in Hardway, Gosport with a grandstand view of the dockyard.

Happy Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Being out in the sticks we've found there is even less going on this year than last, so a bit stuck at the moment, pity really, normally like to see in the new year at a party but our local has shut the doors for the last time /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pks1702

Visit site
The Shipwreck has a 'bit of a do' on New Year's Eve - Gangsters & Molls not sure about the outside fireworks though!

Mariner69

Visit site
We used to sound 16 bells on the ships bell. Eight for the old year rung by the oldest man onboard and eight bells for the New Year rung by the youngest. Then the ship's whistles. I still get goosebumps when I think of it.