New Yanmar - Turkey

MASH

N/A
Visit site
I've been quoted 7600Eu for supply only of a new 3YM30 in Marmaris area. This seems steep even for a Yannie.
Anyone got any pointers?

The old one has a cracked cylinder head and rebuild cost is so high it seems worth considering a new one. Is there a market for used Yanmar parts in that area? (2nd hand cyl head = 1500Eu!!!)

Anyone tried to avoid the tax with "ships spares in transit"? Is it a practical procedure or does it rely on importing the spares yourself?

Squeaky

Visit site
Good evening:

I requested a quote for a new Yanmar in Marmaris and I forget what the quote was but I didn't buy one as the dealer quoted 750 euros for installation. When I questioned this I was advised that this was the standard Yanmar price and they couldn't charge less. Fortunately I am old enough to recognize B.S when I hear it so purchased a Vetus instead.

I could have claimed for a return on the VAT (KDV) but didn't as that would have involved importing the old engine into Turkey which would have been a bureaucratic nightmare. As it was the story that was put about was that I had the old engine re-built and painted a different colour before re-installing.

I don't remember what I paid for installation but it was a lot less then demanded by the Yanmar dealer - I like to forget about major outlays of money so try my best to forget the details as quickly as possible.

If you are thinking of purchasing a new replacement engine in Turkey, be careful that the fact doesn't become too widely known as importation and disposal of the old engine could become a major problem.

Cheers

Squeaky

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
Hulley marine quote £6429 for a 3YM30, say 7200 euros, the Turkish price of 7600 seems not excessive if it includes gearbox and all taxes and duties. Are you going to fit it yourself?

charles_reed

Visit site
I've been quoted 7600Eu for supply only of a new 3YM30 in Marmaris area. This seems steep even for a Yannie.
Anyone got any pointers?

The old one has a cracked cylinder head and rebuild cost is so high it seems worth considering a new one. Is there a market for used Yanmar parts in that area? (2nd hand cyl head = 1500Eu!!!)

Anyone tried to avoid the tax with "ships spares in transit"? Is it a practical procedure or does it rely on importing the spares yourself?
I changed my engine in Malta - found it far more economical to purchase in UK and do a shipment to Malta, though walking it through Maltes Customs was a pain.

Price on site was £2540 cf £3285 for a 3YM20; mainly due to greed of local Yanmar distributor.

Cheapest would be to import direct from Yanmar Europe in the Netherlands, but you'd have to research the size and nature of Douanier obstruction in Turkey, which would be highly arbitrary and random.

Personally I'd move to Greece and into the EC to re-engine.

Negotiation is highly effective on purchasing Yanmars - distributor margins are large and unjustified.