New to the East Coast..

northwind

Visit site
Hi

We've just had an offer accepted on a Super Seal 26, and we're debating where to base ourselves on the east coast. I have sailed pretty much all of my life on the south coast.

I have 3 small children (7,6 & 4) So would like to have destinations where they can get out and stretch their legs!

At the moment, the medway looks attractive as a base, as its an hour from home. Does anyone have any recommendations for moorings here, and also for child friendly destinations?

Thanks!

Daniel

Cantata

Visit site
With your boat you're open to all the creek moorings, e.g. Conyer Creek (Swale Marina) and Oare Creek (Youngboats). Several Super Seals in the latter where we are. Depends whether or not you need/want all-tide moorings.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Whats the access like from Swale Marina? - they say 4hrs, however drawing 18 inches, is it possible to do more than this? - (I haven't managed to buy charts for the area yet!)

Thanks

Daniel

4hrs???? We based ourselves there for a year with a cat drawing 2' 6" and some neap tides we never even floated :eek: I think that G pontoon or something has more water but it's 20 minutes from berth to the creek entrance so most yachts were only sailing for an hour in the Swale. But it's a nice spot.

There was more water at Youngboats in the Oare but an even longer stretch out to the Swale; Youngboats was cheap though, £65 pm for a 27' cat.

We had our best ever sailing year when we were on a swinging mooring at Harty Ferry (mainland side). It cost £200 for 6 months and took 5 minutes at most to get on board from launching the dinghy. The other benefits were all tide access and you could sail with the tide East or West rather than against it.

The Blackwater is a fair bit further north but there's lots of good spots, lot more expensive in the main than the Swale.

It also depends on how often you would realistically go; maybe choose somewhere that the children will enjoy as muchas the sailing, lots of families at Burnham and some good facilities but you'll not find anywhere better than Tollesbury for the children.

Laurin

Visit site
4hrs???? We based ourselves there for a year with a cat drawing 2' 6" and some neap tides we never even floated :eek: I think that G pontoon or something has more water but it's 20 minutes from berth to the creek entrance so most yachts were only sailing for an hour in the Swale. But it's a nice spot.

There was more water at Youngboats in the Oare but an even longer stretch out to the Swale; Youngboats was cheap though, £65 pm for a 27' cat.

We had our best ever sailing year when we were on a swinging mooring at Harty Ferry (mainland side). It cost £200 for 6 months and took 5 minutes at most to get on board from launching the dinghy. The other benefits were all tide access and you could sail with the tide East or West rather than against it.

The Blackwater is a fair bit further north but there's lots of good spots, lot more expensive in the main than the Swale.

It also depends on how often you would realistically go; maybe choose somewhere that the children will enjoy as muchas the sailing, lots of families at Burnham and some good facilities but you'll not find anywhere better than Tollesbury for the children.

We're at Burnham for exactly that reason, we have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old and reluctantly anticipate using the boat as a caravan as much as for sailing so chose somewhere there are options for the kids ashore.

northwind

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses, most useful.

The Crouch seems like it would be a better base for us, albeit a bit further from home.

Whats the sailing like in the river itself? - I'm wondering about famebridge, however it is 11miles or so from the sea. However the river has its attractions for pottering around with small children.

Thanks!

Daniel

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
I like Burnham because there's a lot to do. Close to the marina there is park land with facilities including play sites for toddlers, children and teenagers. The town is easy walking distance with good places to eat, fish and chips, an Indian and there are local shops.

The Crouch is good for sailing and pottering about. Have a look at this site:

http://www.burnham.org.uk/maritimelinks.htm

AliM

Visit site
The Crouch (and Roach) gives lots of opportunities for sailing when the weather's too poor to go out to sea, and there's lots of short trips that the children might be happier with. Then there are the seals and birds, if your kids are interested in such things. There's not much to Fambridge village, except a good pub and a station.

philld

www.bitbucket.plus.com
I'm based at Fambridge Yacht Station which I think is great! It's got good transport links and you have no problems with access. Some attractions in the area for children are Marsh Farm and Tropical Wings Zoo over at South Woodham, and Hyde Hall at Rettendon. They are doing a lot of work this year to improve the facilities at the marina and the yacht station. These should be available this season, but the marina does look like a bit of a building site at the moment!

As you say it's a fair distance up the river. However, you could consider Althorne which is further down, or Maylandsea which is on the Blackwater. Both these marinas are only a couple of miles beyond Fambridge.

Regards
Phil

DanTribe

Visit site
The Crouch (and Roach) gives lots of opportunities for sailing when the weather's too poor to go out to sea, and there's lots of short trips that the children might be happier with. Then there are the seals and birds, if your kids are interested in such things. There's not much to Fambridge village, except a good pub and a station.
We moved from Fambridge to Burnham when our eldest was 10. Fambridge is nice but not much for kids to do.
Burnham has a better social life for juniors, and if you keep the kids happy the parents usually are also.
Burnham is well catered for junior sailing from about 7 upwards at one of the 3 clubs depending on taste and finances. Watch out for the swarms of Optimists.
The river is good for sheltered sailing from Brandy Hole out to the Spitway, and offers an easy hop Colne & Blackwater.
There are a number of quiet hidey holes if you want to escape, but you'll have to find those yourself.
Lots of wash making white goods, but usually worst on Sunday mornings.

Doineann

Visit site
Do not discount your original thought of the Medway. There are many moorings available. As to where you go it rather depends on what you want. Medway Yacht club provide a 'full service' if you like, with permanent staff, trot boats, hoists and so on, but obviously it tends to cost more. Less 'flash' options are numerous (and it may be worth seeing what, say, the tidal basin at Gillingham marina costs). One place to look is http://www.medwayya.co.uk/pages/info.html

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I'm even further up the Crouch than Brandy Hole and though it's a long way from the sea, in your boat it's only a couple of hours.

Up river yacht club is a self help, child friendly club with dinghy sailing, moorings and shore storage and is dead cheap. An advantage is not having to pack stuff away or do all your sea checks before sailing, most can be done as you potter down the river.

It would be nice, though far to expensive, to be on a deep water mooring and sometimes, when ferrying stuff to and from in the dinghy, I think it would be handy to be in a marina but once aboard I wouldn't want to be in a marina for all the tea in China!

Doineann

Visit site
As to a deep water mooring, the OP has 3 small children, 7,6 & 4, Getting them plus presumably 2 adults to a boat on such a mooring would not be OK on a warm summers day, but not when it is raining, or dark, or windy. I speak form some experience here, as many moons ago I did the same thing.

Somewhere where you can step on and off is a real benefit for a family like this. Obviously the problem with a marina is the price. If you can afford it great, if not then the idea of a draying marina sounds a good compromise for this sort of family whichever of the east coast rivers he liked (I like them all - just about)