New pontoons at Weymouth Harbour

martha

Visit site
All visiting yachtsmen/sailors need to be aware that if you are mooring up on Weymouth harbour quay, that there are new pontoons installed and they have black rendering, which against white fenders leaves a horrible brownish stain which you cannot get out. I have suggested to the harbour office that everyone mooring as a visitor needs to be warned of this. We now have 5 fenders which are bin fodder

penfold

Visit site
Never understood why some pontoons come with fendering; it's up to the boater to have fenders, the pontoon should just present a smooth surface for those fenders to press against and have cleats or bollards to tie up to.

martha

Visit site
Would acetone work?
We tried everything to get the brown rings off, including acetone, which did nothing. Would suggest that people who have fender socks on would be even worse as the gunge just spreads. The harbour staff are aware of this problem and I suggested that all visiting boaters should be instructed re the problem. There are boaters who couldn’t care less about the state of their fenders but there are others who keep everything smart and clean relative to their boat. Like I said previously 5 ruined fenders makes for expensive mooring for a few nights.