New MBM

wonky

Visit site
Loving the new MBM, especially report on new Jeanneau 500s.

Couple of questions, firstly to Jeanneau, why would you not put a tender garage in the flybridge version?
Secondly for more general consumption, why do folk go for a "sports" version of a boat when for very similar money you could get a flybridge with more useable space etc?

Just wondering!

Last edited:

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
I for one would shy away from a lightly built fly as they get blown around all over the place in Marinas. Its horses for courses and I prefer the look of sports boats although I prefer proper open sports boats as I wouldnr need the extra space.

If its **** weather I wouldnt be boating I suppose. But I have friends with Fly's and they love the extra space even for two.

Visit site
I for one would shy away from a lightly built fly as they get blown around all over the place in Marinas. Its horses for courses and I prefer the look of sports boats although I prefer proper open sports boats as I wouldnr need the extra space.

If its **** weather I wouldnt be boating I suppose. But I have friends with Fly's and they love the extra space even for two.

The big Prestige flybridges are hardly "lightly built".
The newer little ones strike me as a little unusual, going from the great shaft drives they had to airy fairy outdrives is courting with problems as it was the shafts that sold them so well and kept them steady in confined spaces.

But, if you haven't been on that 500s then do it.
It will transform you image of usable space as the boat is simply phenomenal.
A couple of minor corners cut, but a fabulous boat in almost all respects when it comes to layout and design.

Kipper

Visit site
The big Prestige flybridges are hardly "lightly built".
The newer little ones strike me as a little unusual, going from the great shaft drives they had to airy fairy outdrives is courting with problems as it was the shafts that sold them so well and kept them steady in confined spaces.

But, if you haven't been on that 500s then do it.
It will transform you image of usable space as the boat is simply phenomenal.
A couple of minor corners cut, but a fabulous boat in almost all respects when it comes to layout and design.

Ok I am willing to be swayed on space but its only an opinion. and I still prefer outdrives to shafts on smaller boats. Horses ........

rafiki_

Visit site
Totally different bit of the magazine.

Why shell out £200 on foulies when a decent Mendip coat from the local safety shop or Screwfix is almost as good at 15% of the price? Just how much is the HH logo worth?

Have you tried the HH Outlet shop? I use the one at Bicester, and get my stuff for 15% of normal price usually, sometimes even less if it is last years stock. This is OK for me, because I am definitely last years stock!!

BartW

www.amptec.be
Loving the new MBM, especially report on new Jeanneau 500s.

Couple of questions, firstly to Jeanneau, why would you not put a tender garage in the flybridge version?
Secondly for more general consumption, why do folk go for a "sports" version of a boat when for very similar money you could get a flybridge with more useable space etc?

Just wondering!

first question is answered by the second, :)
I think a tender garage is a real waste of space,
would rather use that space for more berths, utility room, crew area...
tender can be outside on the FB or swim platform

I have same opinion on sport boats versus FB,
I can see some arguments pro sport boats, for use as day boat in the med...
or other sunny area's,
but a FB has generally more space, more comfort and so more usage.

shorter FB boats (<45ft) look a little "dull" compared to similar sport boats
FB boats have be longer to look more sleek, thats why I have bought a 70ft FB boat :eek:

all IMHO ofcause.

Kipper

Visit site
Have you tried the HH Outlet shop? I use the one at Bicester, and get my stuff for 15% of normal price usually, sometimes even less if it is last years stock. This is OK for me, because I am definitely last years stock!!

Is the Musto outlet shop still there?
I used ti get all my stuff at half price or less from there, last years stock but not a real problem as I keep the good stuff for ten years or till it falls apart.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Good question. I think its about what people expect. Buyers expect a tender garage on a sportsboat but on a flybridge boat, especially a 50 footer, buyers don't expect a tender garage but they do expect a crew cabin. Personally, I don't like tender garages as the size of RIB they can take is often limited and getting the thing in and out is often a pain

Another good question and one that beats me completely. If you're going to put a hardtop on a boat why not go the whole hog and bung some chairs on top. I can only think it's a styling thing; some peeps prefer the looks of the hardtop. Certainly the modest extra weight up top makes little difference to the handling or speed

ash12

Visit site

I use the one in gloucester when on the boat. The whole shopping centre is an outlet place.