New lifejacket re-arm kit: replace by date is just 1.5 years in future

Refueler

Visit site
Here are the jackets in neat zip lock bags ...

8Ca1qEa.jpg

XXVU8xtl.jpg

Inspection label ..

uwXhSnPl.jpg

Instruction label in good clear english ..

2VEQVqMl.jpg

Reflective patches (I will add to these )

2eKJxanl.jpg

Auto cartridge trigger .. (user replaceable - standard form)

9FfCb2hl.jpg

And here is a spare cylinder I have - still left over from when I bought in about 2006 .... still in perfect condition and weight ...

kTB8XKYl.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
That clear plastic on the firing mechanism doesn't look (from the picture!) like it'll last long. Looks like the kind of acrylic that will crack and go brittle. Otherwise look pretty good. Is the neck hole big enough when inflated? Looks small compared to the whistle.

Refueler

Visit site
The proof will in the pudding .. as they say ...

The plastic looks same as others I've seen ... but I cannot compare to my other auto - as that has a different firing mechanism design - thinks its Lalizas and its on the boat anyway - not at home.

The plastic cap and cartridge are available as a set anyway ...

The whistle is bigger than my others ... about 50% bigger ..

As to neck hole ?? No idea but I can live with a tight neck as long as I am afloat !!

Here you can see its a touch shorter and compact compared what I usually see .. but straps etc are more than enough for my 'fat' body !!

5qxb1Ntl.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
I hadn't even considered someone may change the whistle! Yes looks a reasonable fit in the pic and certainly bigger than it looked laid out. I had a look on RT-supplies and the Halkey Roberts end cap looks the same as that clear plastic part so I think I was being over cautious. The green plastic bits might be the same as the UML ones which are available separately if you ever lose one or snap one. I keep a few on board just in case.

Pete7

Visit site
Reminded me to check all my lifejackets - says 2025 on the capsule so OK. But how important is the date on the cylinder? If has not been pierced, is corrosion free, weighs correctly, is it okay to use for another year? - it's dated 02/2021.
I asked a similar question to the staff in You Boat Gosport back in January because I couldn't find a date on the gas cylinders. The answer was there isn't a date but to check it hasn't been fired and the cylinder is in good condition.

Refueler

Visit site
I hadn't even considered someone may change the whistle! Yes looks a reasonable fit in the pic and certainly bigger than it looked laid out. I had a look on RT-supplies and the Halkey Roberts end cap looks the same as that clear plastic part so I think I was being over cautious. The green plastic bits might be the same as the UML ones which are available separately if you ever lose one or snap one. I keep a few on board just in case.

I test inflated today after applying extra reflective patches .... Tip : Mate of mine added extra reflective - but to the outside cover ... I mentioned to him that when jacket inflates - they will be hidden !! .... I applied to outside cover so even when not inflated - there is something .. and then extra small squares on rear and shoulder areas of the inflation part.
I also added my own design single crotch strap .... I hate thigh straps as they always get caught when you stand up ...

Inflated one while wearing ... and yes a bit snug round the neck - but I'm fat anyway - conclusion ? I'm trying t find a reason against them - being so cheap - but just cannot find anything to fault ...
In fact there is one smart addition on these - that my Crewsaver,Lalizas and Baltic do not have ... the cap on the manual mouth inflation tube - you reverse it and it clips into the tube opening the valve to deflate the jacket. Just have to remember not to leave it in when folding up again !!

Note : I have absolutely no connection or interest in the seller or the items other than I bought to test.

I may be buying more ......

Gedimin

Visit site
Back to the original post: the chandlery was responsive via email and quickly agreed that it was not alright to send a re-arm kit with less than 50% shelf life. They did not have a better option, so made a refund. They did not ask the kit in question to be sent back. Very decent customer support.

lustyd

Visit site
Great outcome and nice to hear a story of good service. Might be a good time to buy the next spares then you’ll always have 18 months or so overlap with the spares so both would be in date (assuming you didn’t buy two sets already of course).

Gedimin

Visit site
It's very rarely used (once or twice a year), so this "50%" will last me through this season and then I will buy a new one with a suitable expiry date.