New lifejacket re-arm kit: replace by date is just 1.5 years in future

Gedimin

Visit site
Just bought a new re-arm kit for an automatic lifejacket. "Replace by" date is 11.2025, just 1.5 years away from now. Is it fair or shall I return it to the retailer? All other lifejackets I have had initially 3 years on them.

lustyd

Visit site
Bear in mind that you don’t need the full kit in a lot of instances. RT sell the parts individually so you can change what you need to change.

Copious

Visit site
I've just had a similar issue with Crewsaver BUT they did ( with a little nudging ) finally supply the retailer with a pair of rearm kits with reasonable expiry dates (2028).
The retailer did remind me that in the future to ensure that when you order online that you specify that you want the latest expiry date available from the manufacturer.

lustyd

Visit site
Crewsaver don’t make them, they use UML like everyone else and put them in a package that somehow triples the cost. Just need to know which device you have and you can order usually cheaper from RT supplies.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Reminded me to check all my lifejackets - says 2025 on the capsule so OK. But how important is the date on the cylinder? If has not been pierced, is corrosion free, weighs correctly, is it okay to use for another year? - it's dated 02/2021.

Neeves

Visit site
Reminded me to check all my lifejackets - says 2025 on the capsule so OK. But how important is the date on the cylinder? If has not been pierced, is corrosion free, weighs correctly, is it okay to use for another year? - it's dated 02/2021.
Its you life, or that of your crew. Expiry dates and safety factors are sometimes not legislated but are based on the anticipated life determined by the manufacturer who might determine the life based on worst case scenario and or their own test protocols. If the manufacturer defines a date - they do so for a reason (and I'm not so cynical to think they offer a short life to increase sales (as if you take may advice in the final para - it will terminate sales).

Its your life or that of your crew.

Next time you buy an item of safety kit - check the expiry date - if you don't like it buy a different brand - but don't ignore what the supplier specifies - they (hopefully) know more than you and me.

One of the variable factors, which makes life expectancy difficult to predict, is how the item is used. Life jackets on aircraft never see the sun, 'ours' will see the sun and be packed away wet - manufacturers need to cater for this.

Jonathan

onesea

Visit site
The retailer did remind me that in the future to ensure that when you order online that you specify that you want the latest expiry date available from the manufacturer.
I would just not buy from that retailer again, I would expect them to have “in-date” stock.

Refueler

Visit site
Maybe this can help someone ... this is a downloadable Self Checking Form for Lifejackets ... Menace is an Australian Owned / Operated Dealer and if anyone knows about Aussie rules - they are strict and they take no 'prisoners' ...

You can go on many dealer / manufacturer sites and you will find similar instructions .....

I've just ordered 4 spare cylinders and I shall inspect for condition and of course check dates ... but as long as the dates are in future - I will accept the items. Once the date passes in my ownership and cylinders have not been fired - and condition is still good ... they shall remain in use. This is not different to advice given by dealers and all the Safety Gear Companys I've dealt with for Ships Gear Certificates.

Attachments

• Menace Self Inspection Form.pdf
    963.8 KB · Views: 9

Refueler

Visit site
Slight thread drift :

I have been on the lookout for more LJ's as the Racing Rule requires one for each person on board etc. I normally sail as a 2 - 3 person total ... so 3 is not enough ...
I was intrigued by these :

Automatic Inflatable Life Jacket Professional Swimming Fishing Life Vest | eBay

Like YOU - initial thoughts are - Yeh Yeh Yeh ... but then I thought - for the price - lets see .. and they are supplied by an Estonian Dealer - which means they have to satisfy CE rating .. which actually meets the LYC Rules ..

Two LJ's arrived and I have to say that I've given them a really thorough going over and I can find no fault .. they do come without CO2 cylinders though ... luckily having ordered 4 - that will have them RTU.

Only thing I don't like is the large LIFEJACKET lettering down one cover !

Before anyone shoots me and claims I don't care about safety - you cannot be further from the truth ... I bought to see what they are ... 50 quid is not going to break my b***s .... !!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Slight thread drift :

I have been on the lookout for more LJ's as the Racing Rule requires one for each person on board etc. I normally sail as a 2 - 3 person total ... so 3 is not enough ...
I was intrigued by these :

Automatic Inflatable Life Jacket Professional Swimming Fishing Life Vest | eBay

Like YOU - initial thoughts are - Yeh Yeh Yeh ... but then I thought - for the price - lets see .. and they are supplied by an Estonian Dealer - which means they have to satisfy CE rating .. which actually meets the LYC Rules ..

Two LJ's arrived and I have to say that I've given them a really thorough going over and I can find no fault .. they do come without CO2 cylinders though ... luckily having ordered 4 - that will have them RTU.

Only thing I don't like is the large LIFEJACKET lettering down one cover !

Before anyone shoots me and claims I don't care about safety - you cannot be further from the truth ... I bought to see what they are ... 50 quid is not going to break my b***s .... !!
I see no evidence they are CE rated (other than Chinese Export).

And you are right; why not see. I would download the CE standard and compare as much as possible. And I would test inflate them.

If not, you are better off using non-inflatable jackets. They really are quite good, just out of fashion.

Refueler

Visit site
I see no evidence they are CE rated (other than Chinese Export).

And you are right; why not see. I would download the CE standard and compare as much as possible. And I would test inflate them.

If not, you are better off using non-inflatable jackets. They really are quite good, just out of fashion.

The advert online does not mention it ... but the manual incl with the Jacket does state EN-ISO 12402-3 ... (my error saying CE ... )

EN ISO 12402-3:2020 - Personal flotation devices - Part 3: Lifejackets, performance level 150 - Safety requirements (ISO 12402-3:2020)

First thing noticed when wearing ... it is shorter in length to my Crewsavers ..... I will have to add 'crotch straps' ... which will be long ! Not only by personal preference - but LYS requires them.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site

The LYS rules state advise inflatable only ... I actually like 'bouyancy aids' ... but I need to satisfy LYS ..

I have 4 CO2 cartridges on their way ....

Need to add Reflective tape - I have ... Lifting loop ?? Think the back cross brace will be ok ... crotch strap ... and Boat Name.

For the price - I can afford to replace often !!

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
The cylinders on my LJs are the originals, several years old. They get inspected and weighed every year and if they're good, they go back in. I've never had one fail the weight test. One go a bit rusty, so I did an inflation test with an expired cartridge. It was, of course, fine.

On the subject of cartridges, I once checked a friend's LJs. The cartridges were seven years out of date*. I replaced them and dropped them into a bowl of water. They all went off with a satisfying pop.

* Yes, I know He was elderly and not the most practical of men. I took over servicing them from then on.