New furler recommendations please

All_at_Sea

Visit site
I have a Konsort Duo and the furling gear although working is getting increasingly stiff, so it maybe time for a new one. 29ft long boat, what do you have and what would you recommend for the refurb?

jwilson

Visit site
Anything but Facnor. I replaced a Facnor with Bamar last year. Sailspar seems good and expensive, as is Harken, but Harken now have two quality levels and prices.

erich27

Visit site
We had a FURLEX 200S roller reefing fitted to our last yacht (SIGMA33) and did have problems with it jamming, seemed to be very sensitive to excessive jib halyard tension ( causing the halyard to wrap around the forestay. Our (relatively ) new to us SIGMA 35 has a HARKEN roller reefing system fitted when we purchased the yacht and have had no problems with it ! So my ( personal opinion only ) vote is for HARKEN

pvb

Visit site
We had a FURLEX 200S roller reefing fitted to our last yacht (SIGMA33) and did have problems with it jamming, seemed to be very sensitive to excessive jib halyard tension ( causing the halyard to wrap around the forestay.

That's usually an installation error. Selden give specific instructions about the need to fit a halyard lead or a sheave box if the halyard angle is insufficient. There's nothing wrong with Selden Furlex systems, which is why they're so popular.

Concerto

Visit site
I have a Konsort Duo and the furling gear although working is getting increasingly stiff, so it maybe time for a new one. 29ft long boat, what do you have and what would you recommend for the refurb?
The reason it is getting stiff is dried out old grease in the top and bottom roller bearings. Strip them out, making sure you do not loose any of the ball bearings, and clean with petrol. Apply new grease. If all the ball bearings do not hold in place with the grease, then using some shaving foam (not gel) will hold them and wash out once assembled.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Mine is a Plastimo 608S, we realised after a shakedown sail it was siezed solid just before our 2 week cruise down the west country, would reiterate what Concerto has said, strip the furler down, it is likely seized grease it will be like gone off cement and the only thing that will shift it in the bearings is petrol, soak them in it give them a frequent stir and they will shift, mine needed some fairly forcefull trying to turn them by hand to get them to start moving, but they will move, when freed up you can then lubricate but only 1/3 fill the bearing with grease too much grease in bearings is what causes the problems.

Lockdown has not been good for many boats with long periods of inactivity, OP does not say what make of furler they have.

All_at_Sea

Visit site
Not sure what this is, someone will recognise it, from 1985. It will only come off from the top so l will need to take the mast down in the winter anyway......

Attachments

• Furler 1.jpg
    Furler 1.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 24

Jmc1764

Visit site
We still have the original Pro-furl installed in 1971 and works perfect. It seems a simple enough system which always helps with reliability, not sure if they still make them.

Aeolus

Visit site
I'm about to replace my indeterminate make, getting stiff, furler with an Alado ALADO - Furler and Roller - main page. It will be fitted to a 30' Seamaster 925.

I like the simplicity of the design and the price. I recently checked and they claim that shipping to the UK, including customs clearance (which they manage) takes about a week. The price includes shipping and duties.

Not used it yet, obviously, but other than one reviewer who apparently didn't like the concept, everything written about them is positive.