New diesel fuel hose to CAV filter size of hose tails?

Captain Crisp

Visit site
Hi - I'm renewing the fuel line from tank to my CAV filter. Please advise:
A) what type/size of fuel line? (10hp engine)
B) what thread size of hose tails will fit this type of CAV?
Many thanks!
Crisp

IMG_20240121_120150_BV2MJmAJ0C.jpeg

Captain Crisp

Visit site
Agreed. When replacing it would seem easy cut out a bit (away from the end to avoid the expansion) for measuring.
Same with barbs (if they need replacing?).
The previous set up was nylon pvc tube with a compression olive. So no barbs. I'd like to install a proper fire-resistant hose hence the need for barbs.
Thanks
Crisp

Visit site
That type will need a washer Roger and rely on making a seal on the face of the housing.

This one seals inside the housing, as the original pipe and olive would have: 1/2" - 20 UNF CAV FILTER HOUSING HOSE CONNECTOR 8MM STRAIGHT JOINT

Also available with a 90 degree bend: 1/2" - 20 UNF CAV FILTER HOUSING HOSE CONNECTOR 8MM 90 DEGREE ELBOW

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I fitted one of these to help prevent sediment blocking my primary CAV filter

19865_1.jpg

B27

Visit site
I fitted one of these to help prevent sediment blocking my primary CAV filter

19865_1.jpg
Me too.
It gives a view of what comes out of the tank before it's been filtered, and might stop big lumps of stuff from getting into the valves of the primer bulb.

So far, boringly clean!

It was quite cheap, but you need another pair of hosetails and clips.

I don't think these things replace a proper agglomerator/water separator like a CAV, the only filtration is a plastic mesh.

LittleSister

Visit site
The thing is, after 4 years, I've finally mastered changing my CAV filters... Feel strangely bonded to the b@gger.

Yes, they're quite OK with a bit of practice, but only if you've got -
decent frontal access at a convenient height;
space and/or surfaces underneath that facilitate catching/cleaning up after the inevitable diesel spillage; and
the replacement filters that you bought come (as they rarely do) with all three replacement seals.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Yes, they're quite OK with a bit of practice
No they're not. They are a bloomin' abomination.

Try balancing that pile of jenger at 3am underway in choppy water without regurgitating your dinner.

For under 20quid changing to the drop in type is a no brainer.

Do it now. You'll thank me one day, sure you will, you will, you will... W8Nte2s2kxxLy.gif

LittleSister

Visit site
No they're not. They are a bloomin' abomination.

Try balancing that pile of jenger at 3am underway in choppy water without regurgitating your dinner.

For under 20quid changing to the drop in type is a no brainer.

Do it now. You'll thank me one day, sure you will, you will, you will...

I actually largely agree with you, and have said much the same as you, though with far stronger language, when I have been wrestling with the blessed things in boats. (Maybe I should have added calm seas and plenty of time and patience to my list of caveats?) They are probably alright on trucks and tractors.

I have actually already bought a Chinese drop-in Racor type as a replacement for my boat's CAV which lacks the benefit of any of my above stated conditions, but am beginning to doubt that I actually have sufficient space for the Racor-alike in my engine compartment. Hence I was pondering earlier in this thread whether a swop to a screw on type (or better still, two with a changeover tap), and if so whether I would then also need a water separator.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I actually largely agree with you, and have said much the same as you, though with far stronger language, when I have been wrestling with the blessed things in boats. (Maybe I should have added calm seas and plenty of time and patience to my list of caveats?) They are probably alright on trucks and tractors.

I have actually already bought a Chinese drop-in Racor type as a replacement for my boat's CAV which lacks the benefit of any of my above stated conditions, but am beginning to doubt that I actually have sufficient space for the Racor-alike in my engine compartment. Hence I was pondering earlier in this thread whether a swop to a screw on type (or better still, two with a changeover tap), and if so whether I would then also need a water separator.
A Facor/Racor-a-like is not that much bigger than a cav. Could you fit it outside the engine bay in an easier to access location?

Last edited:
Visit site
Yes, they're quite OK with a bit of practice, but only if you've got -
decent frontal access at a convenient height;
space and/or surfaces underneath that facilitate catching/cleaning up after the inevitable diesel spillage; and
the replacement filters that you bought come (as they rarely do) with all three replacement seals.
<pedant mode>

Four seals ;)

</pedant mode>

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The only you need to replace all the seals is if the seal is damaged. Seals get damaged by over tightening the center bolt.

It all about being a competent person.

I have changes the Racor and a boat I crewen on some time ago and yes it is easy if you have room as is changing a CAV (IMHO) the main issue is that fuel filters are fitted out or the way in a place that is difficult to access.

To avoid having change a filter in seaway just fit a change over filter arrangement problem solved