New Canopy required

KevB

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a canopy maker. I've had a quote already which is the same price as a friend with the same boat paid the same guy to make his.. He knows we know each other so naturally I assumed correctly that he'd quote me the same. But given the current 'climate' I think there are probably deals to be done.

Boat is in Chichester.

Thanks

Kevin.

jfm

Visit site
I can't recommend anyone, but just on the current climate/deals to be done thing I'll be interested to hear how you get on

I needed (still do) a sunbrella RIB cover making in Essex for the tender. I got several names from the E Coast forum etc. They're all sold out, booked up for months! The guy on site in Essexboatyards is sold out till mid August. I offered him £750 in cash in an envelope on top of his normal fee if he'd work late and do me one in 10 days, and he said (very nice chap btw) he'd love to but he is already working 8am till 9pm and he just can't

So I've decided to get one made in France, which'll make the £1k bung look like good value. Anyway, my point is, there's no recession in boat canvas work. Let us know how you get on tho!

itsonlymoney

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
already working 8am till 9pm and he just can't

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe everyone is making the best of there current boat rather than the expence of changing or trading up ???

FirstLady

Visit site
Ive used Comfort Afloat for cockpit cushions in the past- very good quality. I believe they do canopies as well. They are near Portsmouth- think the lady is called Julie.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
i had an excellent canopy and stack pack system made for my saily boat from quay sails in poole.... good quality and excellent price.... chap travelled to gosport... I'm sure they do canvas work for mobo's and will visit chi.

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend a canopy maker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give JB Covers a call on 01489 572487. He makes outstanding covers that fit like a glove. Quality workmanship so he is busy. Also you could try Rene Brent at Quay Canvas in Deacons Boat Yard on the Hamble - 07803 290789.

crazy4557

Visit site
I recently used Undercover in Shirley, Southampton for some cover repairs and also for new cushions. Work was outstanding and the prices were very reasonable. Number is 02380 704044. Ask for john. Highly recommended and I have nothing to do with them BTW.

nicho

Visit site
Kev. There's really only one to go for, JB Yacht Services. Based near Swanwick, but happy to come to Chi (he did ours, and has just done another on our pontoon). Absolutely top class, better material, and bigger zips than others. Most in the Hamble would not touch anyone else. No more expensive than the others I don't think, but quality cannot be beaten. Name is Jim Baum (known as german Jim, though he claims he's Austrian) and number is 01489/572487 mobile is 07775/594949. Trust me he's good (and no, I have no connection with him!)

crazy4557

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Kev. There's really only one to go for, JB Yacht Services. Based near Swanwick, but happy to come to Chi (he did ours, and has just done another on our pontoon). Absolutely top class, better material, and bigger zips than others. Most in the Hamble would not touch anyone else. No more expensive than the others I don't think, but quality cannot be beaten. Name is Jim Baum (known as german Jim, though he claims he's Austrian) and number is 01489/572487 mobile is 07775/594949. Trust me he's good (and no, I have no connection with him!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no desire to be negative against Jim but I had a canopy from him and, yes, it was heavier material and it was made with chunky zips but blimey it made the job twice as difficult to put on/take off the canopy and I cursed him 'till I sold the boat. Canopies are a pain without being made from overspecified material weight.
Just a point that needs taking into account when choosing a supplier.....

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
It's essential to know how to put the covers on properly, did Jim show you, or just send replacement covers?

When I bought our Sealine S37 the surveyor said the canopy had shrunk and needed replacing, and I agreed as it was almost impossible to do it up. I phoned Jim (the JB logo was on the cover), and told him it had shrunk. "No it hasn't" said he, "yes it has" said I. Anyway, he agreed to come and show me, with no charge.

The trick is you start the zips, but don't close them. Then do a press stud at one end of the run first, then the stud at the other end of that run, then the material is already stretched for all the studs in between, rather than having to stretch it for each stud. When all the studs are done, then you do up the zips. It's the zips that tension the canopy. If you do up the zips first, you can't do the studs. Finally you tension the strap between the frame, and you have a lovely tight canopy that wont flap in the wind

I wouldn't use anyone but JB for canopies.

crazy4557

Visit site
Yes, Jim did show me but it was a complete barsteward to get certain press studs done up whatever way you configured the setup. My fingers are still red raw some 5 year later!!!!
Good canopies but I think some setup's are less suited than others maybe?

[2068]

Visit site
I had a complete full canvas from JB done on the S24.

It was no more difficult to put up/down than the original green encrusted one. Looked a lot better, though, and had the major advantage that it didn't leak like a b&stard. Even the zips worked.

dv.

trying

Visit site
Mark did ours in Brighton? From my experience of him I would say it is definately worth asking him.

Other threads that may be of interest