New boat mystery - Additional propeller!

Hoolie

Visit site
If you look under the double bunk in our aft cabin, you would find a prop there (plus nut etc, Jonathan). As soon as I bought the boat, I realised that the prop didn't have enough pitch. I bought and fitted an Autoprop, but decided that the spare was no use sitting at home.
That's exactly our situation! The old fixed prop is under the cabin sole and, hopefully, will never be needed

Stemar

Visit site
But it does seem props do 'wear out' or why swap props?

A fixed prop can't wear out - unless it dezincifies, as there are no moving parts (I know the prop spins, but it doesn't move relative to the shaft. A folding or auto prop does have moving parts, so wear is inevitable.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

A fixed prop can't wear out - unless it dezincifies, as there are no moving parts (I know the prop spins, but it doesn't move relative to the shaft. A folding or auto prop does have moving parts, so wear is inevitable.

A fixed prop as attached to a saildrive does wear out .... or at least the insulation between the prop and the central boss does. The prop then has to be replaced. One of mine wore out in this way so I decided to replace both with folding props. :)

Richard

NormanS

Visit site

It's not entirely unknown for a prop to strike something in or under the water, and thus become damaged. :rolleyes: