New boat day - axopar 28

julians

Visit site
Have you had the hood off the OB ?
Opened the little service flap to have a look at the dipstick and oil fill, but haven't had the cowling off. I did wonder if it was a key for the cowling, but the manual makes no mention of the cowling needing a key.

julians

Visit site
Incidentally, fuel burn seems to be about 60 litres per hour at 29 knots, which works out to about 2.3mpg I think

Ian h

Visit site
ian just on your question if economy, we did 115 miles today and used 180 l so that’s about 1.56 L per mile. Punching tide in both directions and running between 26 and 30 kts..
Sounds very reasonable and could live with that economy. I would like to be able to cruise around the 30 knot mark
Just trying to find a 28 cabin at a decent price not £100K +

Bouba

Visit site
Is it possible that the key is for something like lifting your dashboard to get to all the connections behind it

julians

Visit site
Is it possible that the key is for something like lifting your dashboard to get to all the connections behind it
Had a look for something like that, couldn't see anything obvious, and no mention of anything like that in the manual.

Bouba

Visit site
It’s possible it’s left over from the installation of all your electronics. I was given loads of bits and pieces

julians

Visit site
Some more thoughts on the new boat (with my objective/critical head on)

-fresh water capacity is a little small for a boat of this size at 45 litres, the tank on my windy 25 is 70 litres, which lasts for days.

-fuel capacity is a bit low at 276litres, especially when cruising rpm uses about 50-60litres per hour. Tank on the diesel windy is 300 litres which lasts for a week or more with my use.

-helming position, at my height (5foot 10)standing up to helm is a little awkward, as my eye line is looking right at the top of the windscreen, the boat seems to be designed for being helmed sat down, guess I'll get used to this.

-the cockpit provides excellent protection from the wind, its very sheltered in there.

-the boat is a very dry ride, no spray so far although it hasn't been rough.

-it goes well, I think a 30 knot cruising speed is eminently doable in a wide variety of sea states.

-its well fitted out, the electronics all integrate neatly, with everything controllable from the simrad plotter, including the fusion stereo and engine.

-the sidepower bow thruster and Anchor windlass have a wireless remote which it's pretty handy, although I can see it going in the drink.

-the sun pad on top of the aft cabin works well.

z1ppy

Visit site
Im surprised at that fuel burn, I would expect that to come down, worth playing with the trim as i would expect to see something around 50 L at 30 Kts?

The vesselview has options for bars on the right hand side and you can get L Per Mile showing (as well as LPH) so can play with adjusting trim levels. coming back up southampton water on saturday at pretty much slack tide we were running at 37 kts with 1.75 LPM so little short of 65 L per hour.

Check where the sidepower windlass control box is, outs is about to be replaced due to corrosion from the wet side of the anchor locker.

Fuel capacity is a challenge..

looking forward to some pictures!, if you havent already, the axopar facebook group is a great source of information!

julians

Visit site
Im surprised at that fuel burn, I would expect that to come down, worth playing with the trim as i would expect to see something around 50 L at 30 Kts?

The vesselview has options for bars on the right hand side and you can get L Per Mile showing (as well as LPH) so can play with adjusting trim levels. coming back up southampton water on saturday at pretty much slack tide we were running at 37 kts with 1.75 LPM so little short of 65 L per hour.

Check where the sidepower windlass control box is, outs is about to be replaced due to corrosion from the wet side of the anchor locker.

Fuel capacity is a challenge..

looking forward to some pictures!, if you havent already, the axopar facebook group is a great source of information!
Yes, I need to play with trim etc and work out the optimum setup for cruising speed, expect that the lph will reduce a little.

Will check out the windlass control box.

I don't have a Facebook account....

Bouba

Visit site
If you get the wide open throttle into the manufacturer’s rev range then the set up is perfect (unless you’re after hole shot). I prefer it to be just at the upper rev range, because that last 100 revs can really add some speed

julians

Visit site
If you get the wide open throttle into the manufacturer’s rev range then the set up is perfect (unless you’re after hole shot). I prefer it to be just at the upper rev range, because that last 100 revs can really add some speed
I haven't tried wot throttle yet, I would get shouted at if I'm not on my own. But so far I have taken it up to 5200rpm (rev limit is 6000rpm), if anything it feels slightly underpropped, but that was an unloaded boat with no fuel or water, so it's probably going to be right when loaded with fuel, water and gear.

Asm

Visit site
First proper day out today..

All was fine except one of the supports for the bow sunshade appears to be missing os we had to rig something up using a boat hook as the support.

I also have a mysterious key and I don't know what it's for, wondering if any other axopar owners can shed some light on it.

I have the following

-engine ignition key
-toilet door lock key
-cabin lock key
- mystery key-it's not a blade type key, it's a circular key kind of like to one's used in steering wheel locks in cars, any ideas?
[/QUOTE
Outboard security lock?

julians

Visit site
OK, so with the boat fully loaded, I am easily hitting 6000rpm (the max revs fotlr the engine) and only getting 37 knots, that is with the engine correctly trimmed.

The specs for the boat say it should hit 42 knots, so I suspect it is underpropped. It would be surprising if it was as the engine and prop were fitted at the factory, as opposed to by the dealer after delivery.

I'll contact the factory and see what prop it should have and go from there.