New batteries

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
I've been dealing with Nicky, he's a long term friend from when we both moored our first boats there many years ago. I just want to make sure they're finding me the cheapest option. I feel quite vulnerable because I'm out of my depth.

Is Darren your brother?

I had forgotten you probably know Nick from PHYC.

Understand why you want second opinion very wise.

Yes he is my brother and sadly we had to sell our boat for the very same reasons you are.

They will look after you I am sure.

I have said it on here now so they better !

James L

Visit site
Playing Devils advocate here, but if you're going to sell the boat, are you sure you need to replace the batteries, unless they're completely dead, I would try topping up the levels and charging for a few days to see if they're good enough.
Other than that you would be looking at the cheapest replacements you can get.
If they are completely dead, sometimes you can get them charging by putting another good battery in parallel and once the charger sees the voltage, it will try charging the dead one.
I have recharged a couple of batteries in this way, and while they may not be as good as new, they still seem to hold charge ok.

I may be wrong, but I don't think new batteries would change the value much, and if you're getting a good price, then you could offer to change them to seal the deal.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
The flip side is, if they are no longer serviceable and the boat requires a sea trial then the broker or potential owner does not want the hassle or delay of jumping them or waiting for new ones.

You are right it wont change the value but it will make the boat serviceable and therefore more desirable.

James L

Visit site
oh, yeah, if they're completely gone then they need to be changed.
Nothing gives a bad impression like an engine that doesn't start when you turn the key...

MapisM

Visit site
If they are completely dead, sometimes you can get them charging by putting another good battery in parallel and once the charger sees the voltage, it will try charging the dead one.
I have recharged a couple of batteries in this way, and while they may not be as good as new, they still seem to hold charge ok.
Care to elaborate further what you did, and the results you got?
I must be missing something, because my understanding of what you suggest is something I wouldn't for the life of me try on my boat... :ambivalence:

James L

Visit site
I haven't done it on the boat, just on Car batteries and one of the kids toys.

Most battery chargers won't start charging until they see a battery attached, so for a 24 volt battery, it might need to see 16 or 17 volts before it would start charging.
if you have a good battery and attach jump leads to your bad battery, the charger will see the voltage and start charging. Same as if you're jump starting the boat. Once the batteries have charged a bit you can remove the jump leads and leave the battery charging.
All it's really doing is letting the battery charger know it's got something to charge.

PilotWolf

Visit site
Playing Devils advocate here, but if you're going to sell the boat, are you sure you need to replace the batteries, unless they're completely dead, I would try topping up the levels and charging for a few days to see if they're good enough.
Other than that you would be looking at the cheapest replacements you can get.

I may be wrong, but I don't think new batteries would change the value much, and if you're getting a good price, then you could offer to change them to seal the deal.

+1 batteries are not cheap. How do you know you need to replace them rather than just 'service' them. Especially if the boat hasn't been used in a while.

W.

maybh1

Visit site
Sweetie - if it would put your mind at ease Richard would be happy to come down and take a look

He organised new batteries for our boat a few years ago

Hugs

May
Xx

paulineb

Visit site
Sweetie - if it would put your mind at ease Richard would be happy to come down and take a look

He organised new batteries for our boat a few years ago

Hugs

May
Xx

Thank you May. I'm going to get Steve from the chandlery to have a look and tell me which ones need replacing and which need servicing etc. then I can decide what to do.

Please thank your lovely Richard for me xxxxx