Neco Marine to Navico NAC-3 Problem

Sanddollar

Visit site
Hey all, I’m having trouble figuring out the wiring necessary to wire in a new navico NAC-3 autopilot computer into the Neco Marine 692 autopilot system original on the boat. If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated. I am also trying to figure out which pump I need to replace the drive motor but keep the rest of the system operating as designed if my neco motor fails or can’t be wired to the NAC-3. Anyone have any info?

tillergirl

Visit site
There is a pdf from the world expert Daniele Fua and there is a second pdf available from a forumite who I am sure will come along shortly. I have the pdf but I am not sure the version is complete. This being your first post I don't think you can PM (private message) me an email.

I use the Onwa KAP-866 with the Neco which is a great partnership and is very, very simple to connect.

Sanddollar

Visit site
I was able to get ahold of Daniele via email thankfully, just trying to figure out how to wire my NAC-3 up to this system.

tillergirl

Visit site
It seems to me that the NAC-3 is similar to the Onwa. The Neco has a clutch and that needs to be commanded by the NAC. I see there two terminals ( + and -) on the Drive Engage of the NAC which is for the clutch. You need to fitted a new relay to control the clutch operation. I used a Mini Make & Break Relay – Normally Open (NO) Contacts, 12v, 40A and there is room within the Drive Unit. Connect relay terminal 86 to the Drive Engage + and Terminal 85 to Drive Engage - . Connect relay terminal 30 to the Neco terminal 7 (of the 16 terminal block) and relay terminal 87 to Neco terminal 9. That is how my Onwa system works; you need to consider it for the NAC. (Mini Make & Break Relay - Normally Open (NO) Contacts, 12V 40A - With Diode I am sure you can get that locally).

As to power for the Neco motor, the Onwa has two + wires and one - wire. I think the NAC is similar but there are some wires to be removed into the Drive Motor. You are going to remove/disable the compass unit and control unit. From the control unit there are two major cables into the Drive Unit. They need to be removed. Basically you remove the cables from external side of the 16 Neco terminal block - that's terminal 5, 6 and 7, and 9 to 16. The Onwa + wires go to 12 and 13. The negative Onwa goes to 8. Make a link between terminal 8 and 10 on the Neco 16 terminal block.

Now the Onwa and NAC may certainly differ at this point. The Onwa supplies a rudder feedback unit - that plugs into the back of the Onwa. But the rudder limits on the Neco now don't work and the Onwa takes over that responsibility by its software. Removal of the Neco feedback unit is realtively quite simple. I assume you have a feedback unit and that plugs direct into the NAC. What I cannot see in the NAC commissioning manual any reference to the rudder limits. Obviously effective rudder limits are essential or the Neco would retain receiving commands to turn beyond full helm. If you do remove the Neco rudder feedback unit, there are a couple of wiring changes to be made.

I don't know how quickly the Forum allows you to send me a PM. Try and if so send me your email and I will send you a copy of how I fitted the Onwa. It may help you understand the systems.