Nav lights choices

zoidberg

Visit site
I note from elsewhere that, when someone asks for guidance on choices for a small boat, replies seem to focus on the LEGAL requirements rather than emphasize 'See And Be Seen' by fitting the most powerful lights one can manage.

Given that LED lights absorb only a small fraction of the current of comparable Incandescents, it's rare I see the argument advanced to 'Go Up A Grade' rather fit than the bare minimum.

Thoughts?

William_H

Visit site
LED nav lights tend to be very bright compared to old ones. While still drawing very little current. I mounted 2 nav lights one each side of cabin as a place safe from damage compared to on the side of the bow or pulpit. Even when sometimes partially covered by genoa seems still bright through the sail. Mostly not covered. I have separate stern light. I am not keen on mast top nav lights partly becuase I pull my mast down every year and don't want wiring to mast but also because lights are often not noticed when up high in an inshore environment. ol'will

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Most boat owners are very, very shy. Not only do they go for tincy lights, but then then hide them behind all sorts of kit.

A few years ago I 'went up a grade', with the transom lamp mounted ¾ of the way up the radar pole, about 3 metres above water level rather than at the jaunty angle on the transom 750 mm above the oggin.

LEDs reduced the power consumption from four amps per hour to less than one.

Reactions: srm

Metalicmike

Visit site
You can buy led bulbs as direct replacements, you will find them online or at Motorist Discounts, while your at it, change the bulbs in the saloon ect.

srm

Visit site
Going back to my second yacht in mid 70's it only required the minimum range for its nav lights. I replaced them with lights specified for over 12m to get brighter/better range. That has been my practice on all boats since.
Like @Sandy my nav lights are mounted as high as practical. Except for the anchor light as that is far more use just above the eye level of people helming in the anchorage rather than up amongst the stars at the top of the mast.

B27

Visit site
You don't need terribly bright lights to be seen at sea.

Personally, I've sailed on too many 'other peoples boats' where nav lights are reflecting in shiny guard rails etc, or otherwise leaking light back to the helm.
Or lighting up the stupid ensign at the stern.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Personally, I've sailed on too many 'other peoples boats' where nav lights are reflecting in shiny guard rails etc, or otherwise leaking light back to the helm.
I love seeing my 'bright lights' shining off dolphins as they break the surface beside the boat. We all have different pleasures.

Or perhaps to be seen under the light of a silvery moon.

RCoU2Pxe_o.jpg

Taken off Beachy Head December 2022

B27

Visit site
I love seeing my 'bright lights' shining off dolphins as they break the surface beside the boat. We all have different pleasures.

Or perhaps to be seen under the light of a silvery moon.

View attachment 181321

Taken off Beachy Head December 2022
Don't complain if an overtaking boat sees that green light..

I prefer to be able to make out the dim lights of distant fishing boats rather than be blinded by my own lights.

srm

Visit site

Which is why commercial vessels have screens to keep the light outboard. If nav lights are causing a problem to the helm it should not take much ingenuity to shield them.
How far away do you want to be seen and in what conditions of visibility? What looks like a bright light from on board quickly reduces to very dim or nothing with a bit of moisture or mist in the air.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Don't complain if an overtaking boat sees that green light..

I prefer to be able to make out the dim lights of distant fishing boats rather than be blinded by my own lights.
I won't as its not my boat. I have a single bi-lamp on the bow. As long as the overtaking boat does not see the green or red until the prescribed 22.5° abaft the beam then we are good.

I'll need to search out some 'dim lights' of a distant fishing boat as locally they are all lit up like cruise liners.

While I'm not impressed with the picture, it was bl0DDy cold and I dragged the phone from under several layers of clothing, the lights looked pretty normal to the MK I eyeball.