Nassa Clipper Log

graham

Visit site
My log at the moment reads 0.0 all the time. I have taken the paddle wheel out and it spins freely and no weed on it .

Can I check the output at the end of the coax from the paddle wheel to the box of tricks with an ordinary multimeter ?

The unit is 5 years old and worked perfectly until recently.

Any suggestions welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

NigeCh

Visit site
Yes

If you spin the impellor against the two leads (disconnected from the display and at the display end) with a multimeter you should get a voltage output. If you do then the display is either kaput or your leads into the display need a good cleaning.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Re: Yes

Thanks for advise Nige, given me something to try before I bite the bullet and get the credit card out.

The connection into the back of the display unit was tight and dry but I didnt actually look inside it for corrosion .

if there is no output from the paddlewheel unit then hopefully I may be able to buy just that bit.

That is if I dont sink the boat in the process!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Paddlewheel kit

You can buy the paddle wheel and cable from allgadgets, not expensive either I hasten to add, I am not connected to allgadgets, just a happy customer.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/ag/product.asp?dept_id=1&pf_id=AG0039>log paddle wheel</A>

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

graham

Visit site
Re: Paddlewheel kit

Thanks for that Julian,if I cant revive it that was going to be my next question.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum

Visit site
I have just had the same problem. If you look very closely at the paddle wheel there are two very small steel (magnetic) rods embedded in two of the four vanes of the paddlewheel. Mine had got corroded and as a result there was no steel left, just iron oxide, which was not magnetic. I ordered just the paddle itself from NASA (about 6 pounds I think it was) and this cured the problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
I managed to get on the boat today and found the problem was a small amount of corrosion in the plug that connects the lead into the back of the display unit.

I cleaned up both the plug and the socket with a bit of fine emery cloth not really expecting it to make any difference ,Sun out and perfect sailing breeze so had to let go for a few hours,only to test the log honest,

Result was its now working fine.Thinking about it I imagine the paddle wheel only generates a tiny current of electricity so the connection needs to be perfect.

Thanks to all who offered advise.
My nose is back on the grindstone tommorow.:-(

<hr width=100% size=1>

NigeCh

Visit site
Re: Nasa Clipper Log

I've yet to find an instrument manufacturer who provides tinned copper connecting wires or corrosion proof terminals.

It's really nice when when feedback arrives. I'm pleased that you've got it working again.

Cheers,

NigeCh

<hr width=100% size=1>