NASA Wind - Direction Indicator not behaving

affinite

Visit site
My NASA Clipper wind instrument is playing up again !
I've already cured it of lying about wind speed by replacing cups after only 3 months but now it has developed a mind of its own wrt wind direction.
I just cant get it to indicate the true wind direction. It isnt a constant error but is sometimes up to 180 deg out. Ive tried the recalibration process described in the manual but it still wont give me a correct reading. Ive also been up the mast and checked the vane which seems intact and free.
Any ideas ?

tillip

Visit site
Can't help on the wind indicator but I have clipper depth sounder, which is hopeless, I would probably be better off with a lead line. The manual does not contain caibaration instructions, so I phoned them last week for advice and I was quite dissapointed with their approach to customer service. I had to send SAE for an updated manual. Wouldn't buy nasa again. PS, have you seen their website? it's a pile of cr*p

alienzdive

Visit site
This forum is full of bad publicity re nasa wind instruments. I can also confirm myself that the gear is rubbish.
After installing nasa instruments throughout and not being happy with the setup I now use it as a back up to Raymarine gear which I have also installed now.

Wish I had known before buying it.

tillip

Visit site
Problem is that when fitting out, it's all such a lot of dosh, I put clipper in because I just couldn't justify ST60s but three years later, I wish I had spent the difference. You don't see many mainstream boatbuiders fitting nasa as standard.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
Wierd, I've fitted NASA Target wind, depth, log, clipper GPS repeater and a VHF, al have worked brilliantly for 3 years. The manuals are available in pdf format from their webby.

Oen

Visit site
My own experience of NASA was with one of their DSC radios - absolute rubbish, and their approach to resolving the problem almost had me in the car to their offices to deliver my views by way of a frank exchange of fisticuffs.

The poor quality of their products seems to be surpassed only by their attitude to those who buy it...

Shanty

Visit site
Had NASA speed & depth on the last boat - both were OK. Fitted NASA speed, depth, wind and Navtex on the current boat.

Speed & depth - no problems. Not very impressed by the Navtex set - patchy reception - but that may be down to signal strength, rather than the set. The wind instrument has been very poor, with a string of problems, and unreliable output. I've just ordered a new masthead unit for it. If that doesn't improve reliability, the whole thing is going in the bucket.

Never had any problems dealing with NASA tech support - always been polite, knowledgeable and helpful to me - maybe I'm just lucky.

morgandlm

Visit site
Is your cable joined at the mast foot with a multi pin plug? If so, then that may be where your problem is because I had exactly the symptoms you describe and it turned out to be a dry joint on one of the pins. Since fixing the plug the direction has been fine. See elsewhere for my comments about the speed indicator!
Morgan

hubert

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My own experience of NASA was with one of their DSC radios - absolute rubbish, and their approach to resolving the problem almost had me in the car to their offices to deliver my views by way of a frank exchange of fisticuffs.

The poor quality of their products seems to be surpassed only by their attitude to those who buy it...

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds suspiciously like the "we hate nasa website". Nasa doesn't make the SX35 vhf. When they sell it people say "it's rubish". When someone else sells it they think it's wonderful. Very strange.

Strathglass

Visit site
Like you say, sounds very like a 'Let's kick NASA listing'

I have fitted tens of NASA instruments and apart from some minor glitches (usually user inflicted) have never had any problems.

Their technical support is very good. Where else can you speak to someone who has such deep knowledge of their product?

They are at the bottom end of the market but still represent outstanding value for money.

Spares are instantly available for all of their units. Many other companies are severely lacking in this area.

Like every other company they have to make a profit to survive, especially in r-off Britain. They have chosen to do this by value engineering their products whch may mean plain bearings instead of ballraces but that keeps the cost down.

I am quite happy to use them and fit them on other peoples craft.

Iain

Gunfleet

Visit site
Ditto. I've used NASA gear on several boats and it's never let me down. I still have a NASA Navtex now, It's never gone wrong and when I wanted to change antenna for a dual band one they couldn't have been more helpful.

mflynn1971

Visit site
From what I've seen written on this forum so far the general concensus is their stuff is good except for the mast head unit of the wind instrument. I have problems with mine after a 6 months. The mast head unit is of poor design and I have latest version with screw locked cups. I took it down to fix it and am not putting it back up unless I can think of a way of improving it.

affinite

Visit site
Thanks all (In particular Morgan)
I dont subscribe to the general anti NASA sentiment - I also have the GPS repeater and NAVTEX which both work fine (No moving parts I suppose) , but like others I think that the mast head unit for the wind is very poor.
Thanks again

oldharry

Visit site
After sales service seems to be a major issue with this company: ge the right man on the right day, you get terrific service. Get the other man (men?) - forget it.

A recent conversation went like this (and yes, it was for the 3rd set of wind cups the thing has eaten in as many years.) It took 3 days to get through - the line constantly engaged, and Emails went unanswered.

Them (answering phone): Nasa. (grumpy tone of voice)
Me: My windcup bearings have failed again, have you got something a bit stronger?
Nasa: Which Model
Me: Its the cruiser. The bearings keep going on the cups, and the direction vane has shattered.
Nasa: Whats your name and address?
Me: Its xxx. But I need to know why the bearings keep going.
Nasa: Thats 27.50, are you paying by credit card?
Me: yes its card no xxx. But i wan to talk to you about these bearings.
Nasa: They will be in the post tonight. ..... Click!

And they arrived the next day.

Not a good PR exercise I think.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
I've recently had dealings with Nasa. See echo sounder checkout. I've visited their place in Stevenage a couple of times and I can see both sides of the argument about their products and service.

Let's face it, they market budget price instruments so you shouldn't expect top quality. I think that what they produce is mostly good value for money. I've had a log and three of their echo sounders (in different boats) and also have the SX35 dsc radio.

The only problem I've had is with my current echo sounder, which they've now sorted out for me. This was an intermittent problem with the transducer (required replacement) and also they replaced a tuning circuit in the instrument head which wouldn't adjust properly.

I think their worst asset is their receptionist. She's a bit of a dragon and can be very abrupt on the phone and in the flesh. In contrast, both the technical guys I met and the chap who replied to my emails were very pleasant and helpful.

If I was a blue water sailor I'd probably pay for something better but for the sailing I do I reckon their products fit the bill pretty well.

tillip

Visit site
"After sales service seems to be a major issue with this company: ge the right man on the right day, you get terrific service. Get the other man (men?) - forget it."

That's spot on. Even if something is problematic, Great customer service can still make an average product good

That said, I would problaby try another brand at the next refit, Tack Tick perhaps