Nasa Target Wind HELP

Magaz97

Visit site
I have replaced the mast head unit on my Nasa target (1) wind.

I have rewired the unit through a deck plug, matching colour to colour.

When I switch on my instruments, the display unit displays 0.5 (speed) for about 2 seconds and then goes to 0.0 and will not change.

The wind direction indicator shows the wind from the starbourd quarter, no matter where the vane points.

It does not seem to matter what buttons on the display I press, I can not change anything.

Buttons are - ALIGN at top then an UP arrow and a DOWN arrow.

I can not find a manual anywhere (even online) although Target 2 instructions are readily available.

Am I missing something obvious?
Anyone got instructions that they can scan and email to me?
Is there a magic sequence of button presses to reset the unit?

Are target and target 2 displays wired the same way? Using the same colour codes.

I telephoned NASA, who were not very informative, unfortunately.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards

Tony

Martin_J

Visit site
Can we assume that this was all working with the previous masthead unit - and if so then why did you replace it? Did something catastrophic happen to the masthead unit?

If replaced due to breakage of original then did the replacement unit look exactly the same?

Magaz97

Visit site
Can we assume that this was all working with the previous masthead unit - and if so then why did you replace it? Did something catastrophic happen to the masthead unit?

If replaced due to breakage of original then did the replacement unit look exactly the same?

The anenometer part was broken, but the vane was fine. Until I replaced the unit..ahem. I think I have it now. Unit needs to be switched off etc. I have the instructions now.

Davegriff

Visit site
When I switch on my instruments, the display unit displays 0.5 (speed) for about 2 seconds and then goes to 0.0 and will not change.

PLEASE HELP!!

My Nasa target unit does this too. I've downloaded the manual, but still cant get it to read wind speed.

How did the op get his to work?

regards
David

Davegriff

Visit site

PLEASE HELP!

My Nasa wind target does this too. I've downloaded the manual, and still cant get it to read the wind speed.

Can i ask, how did the op get his to work?

regards
David

Davegriff

Visit site

PLEASE HELP!

My Nasa target wind unit does the same. I've downloaded the manual, and set up wind direction ok, but still no wind speed.

Can I ask, how did the op get his working?

regards
David

Seajet

Visit site
DaveGriff,

OK we get the message ! :D

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but NASA windspeed units are a frequent topic here, including me relating my very poor experiences; try a forum search 'NASA'.

My personal solution is wool telltales on the shrouds as a wind direction indicator in line of sight, and as for windspeed I know when I'm frustrated, content or in various levels of 'frightened' without a digital display; I'd never have bothered with a wind indicator if I hadn't been given a NASA job as a gift, possibly the most unintentionally malicious thing ever done to me !

crossbones

Visit site
nasa wind

If you have lost both wind speed and wind direction then the most likely cause is loss of power to the mast head unit. You need to make five connections to get the unit to work. Four coloured wires and the screen drain wire need to be connected.
The screen drain wire is the supply negative.
The red wire is +5volts.
The white wire provides a pulse for every revolution of the wind cups.
Black and blue cary analogue wind direction data. Both lines change between about 0.5 volts to 4.5 volts depending on the wind direction.
With a multimeter you should be able to work out the problem.
In my case it was just the screen not connected. Mine now works perfectly.

Davegriff

Visit site
Sorry about the multiple posts. Was thinking I was somehow losing the posts and only on the third attempt did a message pop up saying the post was to be checked by moderators first!

Anyway, many thanks for the replies, and happy to report I have at last traced the fault to a loose connection!

I know most think these units are rubbish, but to be honest the electronics are so simple/unsophisticated that to replace just about every component on the boards to effect a repair would only cost a few quid in parts! Weak point seems to be the speed cups flying away. (easily sorted with beefier shaft mod)

Thanks again all.

theoldplucker

Visit site
Problems are usually solved by taking the back off display unit, pulling plug off circuit board and cleaning contacts with switch cleaner. Common fix for most electronics. A little oxidisation on contacts can stop small currents.

littledancersadhu

Visit site
I have replaced the mast head unit on my Nasa target (1) wind.

I have rewired the unit through a deck plug, matching colour to colour.

The wind direction indicator shows the wind from the starbourd quarter, no matter where the vane points.

It does not seem to matter what buttons on the display I press, I can not change anything.

Buttons are - ALIGN at top then an UP arrow and a DOWN arrow.

I can not find a manual anywhere (even online) although Target 2 instructions are readily available.

Am I missing something obvious?
Anyone got instructions that they can scan and email to me?
Is there a magic sequence of button presses to reset the unit?

Are target and target 2 displays wired the same way? Using the same colour codes.

I telephoned NASA, who were not very informative, unfortunately.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards

Tony
Probably the calibration inside the unit, mine was the same, just trying to find literature on the procedure to adjust and calibrate the unit, its about ten years old!

littledancersadhu

Visit site
Thanks, just back new on here and still learning! Nasa got back to me, they WONT give me any calibration information, but i can send my unit too them at "low cost"