Nasa Clipper Wind

aph

Visit site
The wind cups have disappeared on my Nasa Clipper Wind masthead unit. Going up the mast tomorrow to have a closer look but it seems as if the spindle has dropped out too. Anyone know if the cup replacement kit will do the job or do I need a complete new unit. Difference in price is about 100 pounds. The unit has lasted 4 years. I have been calling Nasa Marine all day and the line is always busy.

ashanta

Visit site
I had the same problem last season and just had them refitted during the winter layup. The problem is if the spindle has been lost as well. I lost the spindle and the boat yard had a hell of time trying to get NASA to supply the parts as they just want sell the whole intsrument head. Cutting it short. we got the cups and spindle. The spindle needed to be epoxied into place after the end being scored first to grip on the epoxy glue and it now works OK.
I would like to know if anyone from NASA reads these posts as I would like to tell them that I know of many people who have had this same problem with their product. NASA do not seem to be interested and I get the impression that they believe their products are so competively priced people can just replace when they break down. When my unit broke (cups disapeared) it was only one season old and its not cheap to replace at that frequency. They say that birds damage the cups but that would not make the spindle come out of it's housing. You would think they would modify the spindle so that it remained firmly in place.

hubert

Visit site
I had an accident with my clipper mast head unit and broke the cups and the spindle. I contacted nasa and they sold me a new set of cups (about £13 as I remember) and gave me a new pin which I cemented in using quick set epoxy. That was about a year ago and it's still working ok.
They can sometimes be difficult to reach, probably busy this time of year. Try e-mailing them on nasamarine@aol.com.

Chrissie

Visit site
Exactly the same happened on my last boat, bought a new cup part then once the mast was down discovered I didnt have a spindle and had to buy a whole new instrument, I shall follow this thread with interest, it could be a very common problem,

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Try this

It is of course possible just to change the pin, nasa will provide you one. It could be done up the mast as the pin is held in a sleeve, a dab of araldite should hold it.

crossbones

Visit site
I suspect ashanta's problem with getting spares was down to the boat yard rather than nasa.
My own experience is quite different. My wind sensor has been up the mast over ten years and was a bit bashed and bruised so I decided to replace it. I phoned nasa and found them most reluctant to sell me a new one but insisted I return the old one for refurbishment. They replaced all the plastic parts (with nice white ones, more substantial than the old ones) and recallibrated the electronics. The cost, about 30 quid was less than a third of a new unit.
It is about time they got more people answering the phone. When you get through they are knowledgeable and helpful but trying to get through ia a pain.

macd

Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Their wind-heads are garbage. I don't know of anyone around here who hasn't had problems. Their after sales leaves something to be desired, too. I returned my cup assembly when it insisted on reading no more than 14 knots in F9 within 2 months of fitting. It was clearly wobbling on the spindle, as demonstrated by marked wear patterns. They claimed never to receive the cups and had the affrontery to charge me for new ones even though I could and did send them photographs of the offending items. When the new ones did arrive, it turned out they'd modified the retaining mechanism, so the damn things wouldn't fit, anyway.
Selling rubbish is bad enough. Selling rubbish that goes at the top of a stick adds insult. From NASA's smug manner, you'd have thought they'd sold me a dodgy can opener. Cheapness doesn't mitigate the need for products to be 'fit for purpose'.
That said, some of their gear works well and is excellent value. But if it has moving bits, forget it.

pathfinder

Visit site
I have had a similiar experience only after 4 years but luckily the cups landed on the deck with the spindle still attached.The cups themselves seemed to be badly degraded(from uv i presume).Now have a spare set ready to put back, was wondering if it was possible to coat them with something to make them last longer?

Heckler

Visit site
i did the same as jools, phoned them, got thru straight away, in post, arrived next day, went up mast and changed it, been there 18 months no probs, it was the replacement bottom housing with the pin and nut instead of the spring washer.

morgandlm

Visit site
Exactly the same problem last year. I bought replacement cups from Yachtbits and got a new pin free from NASA. Spent some time setting the new pin in place with Araldite and the thing worked fine all through last year but the cups came off again during the winter when sailing in strong wind. I've decided that NASA wind kit is so poor I will not replace it and in fact manage fine without it. Very poor design I think, although the other instruments are OK.
Morgan

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I had the same cups/spindle problem years ago, and shoddy customer service from Nasa.

Vowed never to buy anything Nasa again, never have, never will. Told them so, but they don't care. You get what you pay for.

SailingDoc

Visit site
Yet another NASA owner who had the same problem. In my case, the spindle had sheared off. Took the whole masthead unit to them at Stevenage, they replaced the spindle and cups, while-I-waited, for £15.

Recently had to contact them about something else - phone permanently engaged (over two days); an e-mail, detailing the problem, raised an answer in 10 minutes, with the solution.

Brian

alienzdive

Visit site
Wish I knew about the problems with the wind gear before I bought the equipment.

Must have blown off 5 times in the last 2 years. Occasionally recoverd teh cups but the washers and nuts always dissapear.

djc

Visit site
Had my NASA wind spd/ dir 5 years ,i take the mast head unit down over winter to save it a bit. The wind vane snapped off it within 3 months can't see the cups/unit will last the season out ,When i purchased the spd/dir nasa told me the unit would last a life time. I think its about time the m/head unit was redesigned

aph

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys. I went aloft today and took the unit off. The pin is missing. Eventually contacted Nasa by e mail and they said they could send replacement cups and spindle but it would need to be bonded on. I tried calling them a few times also but their line is always engaged. Looking at the unit I decided to purchase a new one as there are a few weather cracks appearing on the casing. Checked my log and its actually been up there 5 years continuously. (in the Med). Still I would have expected a bit longer. We are in a hurry to leave otherwise I probably would have gone for another model.