NASA AIS Radar

francis39

Visit site
I saw what must have been a prototype of this new AIS "radar" on test near Dover some while ago, and now NASA's put it on their website. It looks the business, but I hadn't realised all the facilities it offers. They don't say when I can buy one, though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

francis39

Visit site
Their website is http://www.nasamarine.com but the "What's new" button on the site doesn't do anything! They seem to be good at hiding their light under a bushel. I was looking for something else, and noticed a blank(!) picture mentioning the new AIS radar up in the top right-hand corner, so clicked and saw the same image as in Sailing Today.

Then you have to click on screen shots (don't bother with enlarge view!) and you get to see what it does. It looks great.

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
I called them to get more info (Like alarming, is it always North Up etc) but they would not give me any more details "for commercial reasons"

They recon we are a couple of months away from seeing it on the shelf.

Compare their £260 to the Eur?Nav receiver at £800.

I will be first in the Q

W

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
Is this just a display unit or does it include the necessary 2 channel VHF receiver? Don't forget that any AIS receiver will require another VHF antenna.

<hr width=100% size=1>

francis39

Visit site
I'm sure it's got a two-channel receiver: the bottom screen shot on NASA's web page seems to show you can choose which channel (A or B) to use. If it was just a repeater, what would it be repeating?

<hr width=100% size=1>