Nanny?

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Is this safe or am I Nanny?

Spotted this toy dingy yesterday on a beech in the west coast of Ireland. It seemed designed for swimming pools.
ToyDingy1.JPG

Then observed it 1/2 mile off the coast fishing on the ebb - father and child on board /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Zoomed into enlarged image.
ToyDingy2.JPG

Perhaps I'm being a little Nanny or is this what drives rescue services to despair?

B175Chris

Visit site
I have to laugh at the milk bottle fenders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldnt do it myself and I think it's probably just a lack of understanding of possible dangers, but at least it's luminous orange, a calm sea and in view of shore - could be worse...?

Genie

Visit site
No, I don't think you're being overly nannyish here, as to my mind they were courting disaster going out in that - luckily nothing happened in this case by the looks of it.
Still makes you cringe though. I recently had a chap come into the toy dept in our store to buy a similar pool/beach inflateable boat which he said had to take 'at least 2 adults' - I asked him what it was for and he said it was for use as a tender when mooring off Herm island and then rowing ashore! I told him that it was not a good idea (thin PVC, no keel and strong tides around the island at times) and pointed him to the chandlery store next door where they have 3 person tenders at a reasonable price.
He harrumphed at spending 'a lot of money' on a proper tender (transpired he did not have a handheld vhf either) and told me he was a ' a bit of a nutter and din't mind the risks'.
Later saw him walk out of our shop with the £20 beach version... some folk just need protecting from themselves!

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Theres loads of this type of dingy on Ebay. From reading the auctions you would think you could cross the channel on them if not the Atlantic !!

People buy them, believe the blurb, get lucky for a couple of weeks, then become another RNLI statistic.

Utter stupidity, and with a child on board as well !

Mark