NAME REGISTRATION

Alistairr

Visit site
When you finally pick a name for your new boat, is it just a case of making up the stickers and sticking it on the side of the boat, or do you need to register it?
If so how do you go about doing it and where?

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
If you are not going for a Part 1 registration, and just want a name, then I see no problem at all. The only way it is 'registered' is when you fit a VHF radio and give details to the RA, or when you send in your CG66. It is only the Part 1 when there are restrictions to duplicate names.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Alistairr

Visit site
What is part 1 compared to part3? As mentioned yesterday i shall be using a handheld, is the cg66 form you are talking about for the vhf?
I just want to be able to give the boat an identity....

longjohnsilver

Visit site
You can call your boat whatever you like. However you need a unique name for part 1 registration which guarantees to others that you are the owner of the vessel. To get teh forms for this phone 029 2044 8800. You can also use the small ships registry, doesn't really mean that much, no doubt others will tell you how to do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Part 1 registration is £115 and currently £46 every 5 years to renew (just happen to have the renewal form to hand /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Alsitair,

Part 1, you don't really need to worry about, but you must be part 1 registered if you intend to fly your clubs Blue ensign (defaced) if they have a warrant.

The only real reason for Part 3 of the Small Ships Register (SSR) is if you want to take your boat abroad, it is like a passport for your boat e.g. France. You have to register on that, it is a fee of £10 and you get a number that must be displayed on your boat in a position that it can be seen, they send you a template for the size of the numbers. I registered with this as I will be going to France, it is an easy process.

When you complete your CG66 it will ask for :-

Vessel name and where displayed
You can also send a picture of the vessel
Type of craft
SSR number
Description of vessel
Radio & navigation equipment (EPIRBS, VHF, MMSI No e.t.c.)
Activity (where you use it)
Life saving equipment (flares, life jacjets e.t.c.)
Details of dinghy
Details of liferaft
Details of an club
Details of the owner
Details of shore contact

I hope this helps. You will note that you may as well get on with your SSR registration if you want it, as it will be required on the CG66, but you can always update the info.

The Info on the VHF licence is covered in another thread

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Name options

Want to use the boat UK coastal waters only and not worried about proof of ownership or taking a marine mortgage? Answer just choose your name and stick it on but remember that VHF licences are not granted to obscene names or takes on obscene names and it is best not to call your boat 'Mayday' or 'Pan Pan.' You don't need any more to be able to submit a VHF ship's licence application or to register your boat on the CG66 Coastguard scheme (two entirely separate entities).

Want to go abroad? You will need Part 1 (expensive) or Part 3 (cheap, otherwise known as Small Ships Register SSR). Part 1 requires unique name, so you are asked for choices on the form. You only really need Part 1 if you are seeking to legally register your ownership of the boat (also a good device for joint ownerships) or if taking a marine mortgage.

Want to go inland? UK inland waterway authorities (such as the Environment Agency) have regulations about boat names, such as you must have a unique one; they also have demands about size and position of name on the boat.

If you are buying a secondhand boat it is always worth checking to see if it is already registered.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alistairr

Visit site
Re: Name options

If you buy a boat with a marine mortgage, does the lender automatically look for it being part 1 registered?
How can you check if a name is registered?

qsiv

Visit site
Re: Name options

Dont forget that, there is more paperwork than just a blue book or SSR to go abroad.

Amongst others you'll need
Bill of sale (if applicable)
VAT papers
ICC
VHF station and operators licence
Insurance
Passports
and others I've probably missed.

Individual countries will add bizarre items like pilot books in a languauge you cant read or otherwise understand, crew lists and other odds and ends.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>qsiv is right, providing the vessel meets the other criteria required. A warrant for a blue or defaced blue or even a defaced red can be issued to a craft with an SSR.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
qsiv & byron you are right, I do apologise, I think my confusion was in a) 2) where it states The Merchant Shipping Act 1983, why could they not just put Part 3 (OR is this different?) it should be :-

a) Registration, this must be a ship registered under either :-

1) Part 1 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1894
2) The Merchant Shipping Act 1983 (Small Ships register SSR)

b) Measurement, the vessel must measure not less than :-

1) Two tons gross if registered under (a)(1) above
2) Seven metres in length overall if registered under (a)(2) above

Yachts entitled to be registered on the SSR are measured in length rather than by tonnage, those below seven metres length overall on that register do not qualify to wear a special ensign.

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Name checking

as far as i know , you can't check inadvance - you have to apply with your choice of name, and second choice, and third choice etc.

Yours, tcm M/Y "We Don't Want Anything Except Our First Choice Please"

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>It isn't complicated, unfortunately but a fact of life in all forums, a simple question soon deterioates in a host of non relevant or partially relevant side issues. Either that or drifts away entirely from the original subject. Your question is a prime example, obtaining a Warrant for a privileged ensign was discussed, not only is that irrelevant to your question your boat doesn't qualify anyway.
The fact is your Rinker does not need registering. You can therefore call it what you wish other than Taboo names such as Mayday etc. (let common sense prevail).
I beg you choose a dignified name that doesn't make both the boat and owner look like a Twat. Names like 'WET DREAM' and 'COME QUICKLY' dishonour the boat and are hacknied too.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Forbsie

Visit site
I thought about calling my boat Mange I since its an anagram of Enigma (the Buckingham was built in Bletchley Boat Co.). Then I could call my next boat Mange II which is one of my favourite veg. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Alistairr

Visit site
We haven't decieded on a name yet, but a name i like is 'Indiana'.
The only problem with that name is people automatically think 'Indiana Jones', but i was thinking 'Indiana' after the state in America where the boat is built.