Mystery anemometer

Jonny A

Visit site
Having just dropped my mast, I found the reason the anemometer had never worked was because it was... well, not as supplied by the manufacturer.

Anyway, I would like to replace it, like for like if at all possible or at least one that will fit the same connector. Can anyone help identify what make/model this is please?
(I'm happy to buy second hand.)
An 1.jpgAn 2.jpg

Jonny A

Visit site
Thank you for the quick replies! Google suggests finding a replacement will be 'tricky', does anyone know if there are any more modern products that use the same fitting?

robmcg

Visit site
They come up regularly on eBay if you want to exchange like for like. Alternatively, and someone may correct me on this but I believe the current Raymarine wind transducer is also compatible. I say this as we have an ST50 display but the masthead transducer is definitely the newer Raymarine type. I am guessing it was replaced by the previous owner. It seems to work just fine.

earlybird

Visit site
As said above, the Raymarine ST60 transducer, (eggshaped) will drive the ST50 display but, from distant memory, I think that the windspeed readout will be too fast, and a factor of 0.7 is involved. I can't remember if the ST50 display can apply that correction. The info. might be on the Raymarine FAQ website, sorry I'm not more specific.
Edit; here's a table I've just found that I saved some time ago.
Raymarine Wind MHU calibration.JPG

Last edited:

Martin_J

Visit site
I was also going to say that if you're handy with a bit of DIY then the bearings can be replaced..

A few photos from when I replaced many many years ago..

The plastic was just crimped over the top..
IMG_7146.JPG

The bearings all slid off the shaft..
IMG_9116 (1).JPG

And these are what I'd ordered (although double check)..
20231109_212531.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
As a last resort and with the background provided in the posts (above) you could also ring Raymarine. We have always found them, in Sydney, offering a fulsome technical support - and often the technical staff are enthusiastic to share their knowledge.

Jonathan

Jonny A

Visit site
I did think about a rebuild kit, but as the vane is currently balanced by a selection of M3 nuts I think really I need a new entire unit.

Jonny A

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but I've decided to remove the anemometer entirely. The only time I really need a wind reading is when I'm close to the gybe at night. I'm going to fit a windex instead.