MyHermes and electronic goods

syvictoria

Visit site
I possibly should have posted this in the lounge, but I thought it might be missed there.

Just a quick heads up... 'Electrical or electronic items' are now on the list of goods that MyHermes exclude from compensation for damage (https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide.html), so please take this into account if selling electronics on here.

To be fair, it would in fact appear that there's not a lot that they do cover for compensation any more! :mad:

chanelyacht

Visit site
I possibly should have posted this in the lounge, but I thought it might be missed there.

Just a quick heads up... 'Electrical or electronic items' are now on the list of goods that MyHermes exclude from compensation for damage (https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide.html), so please take this into account if selling electronics on here.

To be fair, it would in fact appear that there's not a lot that they do cover for compensation any more! :mad:

MyHermes are nothing but a giant scam.

Of the orders we've had from suppliers who use them, most have never arrived, ALL those that have arrived have been obviously opened (presumably to see if worth nicking).

They use unchecked home-working drivers, a number of whom it seems treat it as a source of free goods for ebay / car boot enterprises.

I know the police down here are actively looking into them.

theoldsalt

Visit site
If you add the items they do not cover for compensation to the items they refuse to carry there can't be much left.

How rediculous. Why would anyone use them?

Perhaps it would be easier for them to list items they do carry and cover for compensation.

ffiill

Visit site
As all above but for those of us who live in the Highlands goods including those from Debenhams and Next are delivered next day to an engineering machine shop in Perth where they wait for several weeks.
Whilst there if £100 plus pound dresses destined for Debenhams Inverness theie boxes are placed next to a grinder and liberally dosed with that greasy dust that comes from such items.If they are square boxes then the corners are rounded of and used as a football;a flat box will be used to test the security fence by spiking it on them;other boxes will be used as improvised ladders.
Once they arrive in Inverness they are given to a man with an ancient Transit

sailorman

Visit site

Go via Interparcel or Collect plus
i sent a large carton Cambridge > Scotland in under 24hrs via interparcel / UPS brilliant & very traceable service

pvb

Visit site
MyHermes are nothing but a giant scam.

Of the orders we've had from suppliers who use them, most have never arrived, ALL those that have arrived have been obviously opened (presumably to see if worth nicking).

They use unchecked home-working drivers, a number of whom it seems treat it as a source of free goods for ebay / car boot enterprises.

I know the police down here are actively looking into them.

Interesting. I've used them a few times, with satisfactory results. They handle the next day delivery service for Next - my wife uses this quite a bit and it's utterly reliable.

VicS

Visit site
I am sure I must have had stuff delivered satisfactorily by My Hermes but a couple of lees a than satisfactory encounters come to mind.

One day last winter I saw what I though was some litter blowing around the front garden. The weather was bad so I just left it to blow away but a couple of days later on the way out I noticed it was stuck under my dinghy trailer. When I picked it up I discovered it was not litter but something "delivered" by My Hermes to my neighbour ! ( from Next as it so happens)

On another occasion I found a parcel left in our porch by MyHermes ...... addressed perfectly correctly and clearly to some one in another road !

Last edited:

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Just had an outboard delivered by MY Herpes :p Despite it being wrapped in bubble wrap and air cushions they still managed to smash the cowl and break the carb. Couldnt get through to customer services so i e mailed them regarding how to make a claim. Still awaiting their response

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Cant argue with that statement. I should have known. I actually found out about them when i saw a big 7.5 herpes wagon pull up at work. I thought it looked clean and well managed so i thought i would give them a whirl. Thats the first and last time i do!!. I should have started to worry when the fist collection ws aborted when the driver couldnt fit it in his car!!!!!!

alanch

Visit site
Very interesting thread. We have been using Myhermes to send out items sold on ebay. No problems so far but all have been of low value. Will keep a closer eye on them from now on.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I also have used Hermes and was satisfied until recently when I returned an unwanted item to a supplier, who refused to accept it as the packege was badly damaged(although it was really well wrapped in the original large stout cardboard box) and was 'returned to the depot' who then lost it! When I chased it they couldn't find it and I had to claim compensation even though I would rather have the item back. Unfortunately I had only put minimum insurance on it and am still waiting..... The local guy is fine but they do use local people for deliveries. I have since used other people.

robmcg

Visit site
Bought a tv for the boat from eBay and they delivered via MyHermes. Didn't turn up! Contacted seller who said that a whole batch of them he was selling went west in the post! Had to wait for a replacement via Parcel Force. They do seem to 'lose' a lot of high value items/electricals so it makes you wonder!

dutyhog

Visit site
I had a myHermes delivery of a small packet (ammeter for domestic battery) that took 8 days to Argyll from Manchester. And I had to wait in at home for delivery. I really don't mind paying Royal Mail's prices, because it's the only reliable way of ensuring delivery, usually much faster than any carrier, and far less hassle. *I'd originally sent the packet to Manchester (for a repair) by RM and it arrived overnight for £4.10 1st class signed-for, maybe only £1 more than the Hermes price.

Stories locally include "dump it anywhere within 10 miles", "found in a ditch outside the nearest town".

Now I ask suppliers what carrier they intend to use, and refuse to buy unless RM is an option, or there are no other suppliers. (PS I don't have RM shares).

Gordon

lynall

Visit site
We have used RM for years and never had any problems, BUT in the last month we have had 5 parcels go walkies, luckily one was a signed for jobby and the signature obviously wasnt ours and give RM their due they found it and sent it back to the seller.
As for my hermes, my neighbour uses them all the time and a local guy picks up the stuff in his car, sent one via them the other day, havent checked if its there yet!
We used to service their truck and take them back to their depot in the middle of the night, few things i noticed, 1 they always had music on so loud it was unreal, 2 they were always working flat out, 3 the speed parcels went about the place was amazing there was always one laying about on the floor, 4 i dont think anybody was english!
Have to say they are approx a third of the price of RM

greenalien

Visit site
MyHermes are the cheapest parcel delivery option, but they keep their costs down by using a large pool of casual / part-time drivers with their own vehicles. I've never had any problems with them, but only use them for sending stuff worth under £50. For anything else, I use UPS's excellent drop-off service - no need to wait in for anyone to collect the parcel, fully tracked and reasonably priced. You have to print your own shipping labels and take the parcel to a collection point, in my case it's a local shop, but the service is great.