My Floating Home (channel 4)

Wavey

Visit site
Only discovered this recently so I’m on catch-up starting from season one.

I’m curious about the longevity of waterproof concrete hulls.

And the sanity of the couple who spent £700K on one with an underwater window so they could watch the fish swim by. No safety features so if the window fails then bye bye home.

penfold

Visit site
Don't understand why it's being called a Mulberry; if it is it definitely wasn't built in 1935. Concrete Bob and others churned them out in 1943-44.

oldgit

Visit site
Only discovered this recently so I’m on catch-up starting from season one.

I’m curious about the longevity of waterproof concrete hulls.

And the sanity of the couple who spent £700K on one with an underwater window so they could watch the fish swim by. No safety features so if the window fails then bye bye home.
will this do ?
Violette | National Historic Ships
Helped tow the Violette, sometime in the 1960s, to her present location at Hoo on the Medway.
Also helped move a number of concrete hulled lighters used to transport "spirit" , built during the war when steel became hard to find.
A trip on just about any East Coast river will reveal hundreds of concrete hulls repurposed as everything from houseboats to breakwaters, most of them in as sound condition as the day somebody mixed the aggregate and cement in bucket.
Their wood and steel contemporaries having long disappeared beneath a sea wall or into history.

Wavey

Visit site
Thanks OG.

IIRC a company in Norfolk (possibly Windboats?) built a series of boats with seacrete hulls back in the 1960s as hire boats. I don’t think they were terribly successful. I wonder if any have survived.

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks OG.

IIRC a company in Norfolk (possibly Windboats?) built a series of boats with seacrete hulls back in the 1960s as hire boats. I don’t think they were terribly successful. I wonder if any have survived.
The two coasters that were constructed were an absolute unmitigated disasters by all accounts and were quickly relegated to other vital jobs such as storage hulks, two of the spirit lighters were once used to moor Cresent Shipping tugs in Strood bight.
A single sad spirit lighter can still be seen semi abandoned on an old cement wharf just above Cuxton.
The area became notorious after a bunch of "Sarf" London ( and Essex) likely lads did a bit of gun running nearbye.
All pleaded not guilty even though the rozzers had loads of video of them unloading the stuff, all taken from the river bank opposite.

ryanroberts

Visit site
I hate this program...all over the world, inland waterways are clogging up with people who can’t afford to live on land...soon there will be no navigation
CRT/EA least are much more on top of this than they used to be, though the effective removal of casual mooring on much of the Thames because of the inability to harshly police an antisocial minority was a huge shame.

Meps1983

Visit site
Looked like something from the spacestation. And you would still end up with ash blowing around the cabin after showing all your mates the new toy!