My diesel tank was filled with water...

EdEssery

Visit site
...by a member of the crew who thought he'd help clean up the boat after RTI race. Only he filled the wrong tank....

He filled my 45 litre fuel tank with water. It was previously half full of fuel.

We immediately closed the fuel cock between the tank and the primary filter and then drained the tank using a Pela Vacuum Engine Oil change pump. Obviously all the water came out first from the bottom of the tank, the boundary layer looked a bit emulsified and the last 2/3 fills of the Pela pump (it notionally holds 6 litres but in practice only generates enough vacuum to suck up 5 litres) looked like clean diesel but we decided to dump it anyway. We put the the waste fuel in Jerry Cans lent to us by the marina (thanks MDL) and took it to the local council tip to dump.

We then put 5 litres of spare fuel in the tank and opened the sea cock. The engine started immediately. We ran it under load for 5 or 10 minutes and it all seemed OK so we went down the river to Itchen Marine and refilled the tank with diesel.

The primary CAV filter had no sign of water in the glass bowl when we got back to the marina so I'm hoping we've been lucky. I'm planning to recheck the CAV filter and draw a couple of litres off the bottom of the tank when I next visit the boat to see what it looks like before going anywhere.

Has anybody else had this happen to them and/or have any advice?

Thanks,

Ed

<hr width=100% size=1>

sundancer

Visit site
get a new crew member.
has he offered any cash by way of apology.
that may sound a bit harsh but it will teach him/her and maybe you get to keep a otherwise good crew member
bon voyage
james

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Another precaution might be to put some biocide or Soltron in the fuel in case any diesel bug gets going.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I've seen the reverse on a charter boat - diesel in the water tanks. They had to be changed.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

EdEssery

Visit site
He did all the work under my supervision and paid for the tank of fuel. Both without being asked! He was very apologetic throughout. I have since appointed him Chief Tank Filler and Consultant on Tank Filling on the basis he won't make the same mistake again!!

Ed

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I wish I had been there !

I would have taken the fuel off your hands .... FOC !

FYI - all tranist tankage in refinierys / oils torage depots etc. water drain their tanks periodically .... you'd be surprised how much water runs off from them. It comes from various sources but the main is :

Condensation / tank sweat developing during hot days, cool nights.
Suspended water dropping out after transport

etc.

So actually your diesel whether it be city or red has had water contact long before it got to your boat. In fact all diesel has a certain small %age of water in it anyway ..... very slight - but still there.

My having a less than new engine / boat and being the cheapskate that I am would have stood the diesel for a week and then carefully siphoned off. Add a few drops of bio to be safe and away I'd go .......

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

DepSol

Visit site
Re: I wish I had been there !

The Navy actually ballast their diesel tanks by putting water in to them as the fuel goes out then drain off before next fill.

They also wont use biocides.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

Now where is that Brendan hiding?

DepSol

Visit site
Re: I wish I had been there !

Nah fuel picked up from near the top of the tank.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

Now where is that Brendan hiding?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I got rid of about 10 gallon of water out of a 75 gallon tank. Without taking the diesel out. Just took the drain plug out of bottom and replaced with tap and clear pipe. Ran most of the water off, till it went red again. Then added another tap to end of pipe and opened the first one, so any water left in would run down the pipe. Checked the water seperaters a few times, added some Soltron and all ok.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

franky

Visit site
A crew member on the first and last charter which I skippered thought they would be helpful and did the same when I went to meet joining crew members at the Marina Gate.
Insurance did not cover this eventuality so had to call sea start. Days work !.£600 !! And lost A B >>>>>DY good days sailing.
On my boat tanks can only be filled under my supervision.
Had to put up with idiot for remainder of charter but never had any reason or wish to see them again.

<hr width=100% size=1>