My COVID-19 Lockdown Project: 10” Android Car Stereo to Navionics Chart Plotter

mike_1987

Visit site
This is awesome
I have a few questions
1 is it running navionics on its own or is it linked to a tablet
2 is it running through inboard gps?
3 now a few people have done this is there anything you would do differently?
Again absolutely awesome stuff and I’m definitely doing this for myself

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
This is awesome
I have a few questions
1 is it running navionics on its own or is it linked to a tablet
2 is it running through inboard gps?
3 now a few people have done this is there anything you would do differently?
Again absolutely awesome stuff and I’m definitely doing this for myself
Running Navionics itself.
The unit has its own GPS buried in the case. It is about 1 inch square.
I have since added a pass through USB connector at the back so I can plug in a mouse.
If I do it again I will add a bezel around the screen to give it a bit of protection when transporting it home. My screen has a small cracking one corner.

mike_1987

Visit site
Running Navionics itself.
The unit has its own GPS buried in the case. It is about 1 inch square.
I have since added a pass through USB connector at the back so I can plug in a mouse.
If I do it again I will add a bezel around the screen to give it a bit of protection when transporting it home. My screen has a small cracking one corner.
Sorry to be a pain with the waterproof sockets how many pins do they need to have (does it matter) as you can tell I’m not very good at this kind of thing
Although I can follow instructions to the letter

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Thank you
I assume the radio unit comes with a diagram showing what wire does what
Yes and is all pretty obvious.
Sorry to be a pain with the waterproof sockets how many pins do they need to have (does it matter) as you can tell I’m not very good at this kind of thing
Although I can follow instructions to the letter
If you just want power then you could get away with 2 wires. If you are permanently installing, rather than in a box, then you need 3 wires. + (red), - (black), + (permanent (yellow).

I have a separate plug for the speaker output (2 wires for each speaker, so 8) or you can get the audio out with phono plugs if you have a car stereo on the boat that has an aux input.
PM if you would like to talk it through.

mike_1987

Visit site
Yes and is all pretty obvious.

If you just want power then you could get away with 2 wires. If you are permanently installing, rather than in a box, then you need 3 wires. + (red), - (black), + (permanent (yellow).

I have a separate plug for the speaker output (2 wires for each speaker, so 8) or you can get the audio out with phono plugs if you have a car stereo on the boat that has an aux input.
PM if you would like to talk it through.
Amazing thanks I’ve ordered everything (I think) no doubt I’ll be messaging you with a million questions when it all arrives

Wing Mark

Visit site
Hi, new member here.
I'm really interested in this concept.
How has it worked over the Summer?
How much memory does the Navionics use up?
I have thought of a couple of enhancements which may or may not work:
1) use the video out that some units have for an 'indoor repeater' screen.
2) add a USB 'pointing device' i.e. a surrogate for a mouse, some sort of joystick doofer? if the touch screen is iffy with wet hands? Potentially could control the software both indoors and outdoors then?

I'd rather keep the 'stereo' functionality apart from the Nav personally , but the 12V daylight screen is pretty compelling compared to a tablet?

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I have now used it for 2 whole seasons with no issues.

I did add a USB socket in the back so I could plug in a mouse, which I mostly use at home. On the water I have no issues with wet hands.

We use tge audio out so we can watch Amazon/YouTube/Netflix on the device when in port.

PM me if you want to chat through tge details..
Andrew

pandos

Visit site
I have now used it for 2 whole seasons with no issues.

I did add a USB socket in the back so I could plug in a mouse, which I mostly use at home. On the water I have no issues with wet hands.

We use tge audio out so we can watch Amazon/YouTube/Netflix on the device when in port.

PM me if you want to chat through tge details..
Andrew
I use mine at the nav station and find it great. I use it for Navionics, Google earth (the river I use to get boat yard is photographed at what must be the lowest tide so it is super easy to follow the channel ), Amazon Prime Video, entertainment radio, and Spotify via Bluetooth from my phone.

I hope to fit an external monitor (using a recycled laptop screen) next year.

A remote control would be great, any ideas on that one.

Wing Mark

Visit site
I was wondering about using some sort of Bluetooth game controller.
To use as a mouse/pointing/cursor control and maybe some buttons.
Simple ones are on ebay for about a fiver.
That's as far as I've got.

a bluetooth or other wireless remote driving a mute control, if there is one, would be another way.
As a complete tangent, I fitted an IR remote control volume pot to an old hi fi amp a few months ago, this also has an on/off function.
It was about 18 GBP for a motor driven potentiometer.

JohnGC

Visit site
The OP's car head unit has a two wire input (plus 0V). It is intended for interfacing with a car's steering column switches. EG volume. The column switches apply different resistance values to the two input lines (referenced to 0V). The head unit detects those resistances on the inputs and you can set which operations they perform. Those operations includes volume control and muting. There are some details in the instructions.

It you just want a switch at the helm, then you could wire direct. If you want a wireless remote, then something from Ebay that operates relays via wireless could be made to work if you're happy to experiment with a few resistors.

Some other head units support the column switches via CAN BUS, so if you have one of those my suggestion above wouldn't work.

marto26

Visit site
Hi Andrew, I was speaking with Andrew C today and he suggested I look up your project.
Looks like the OneDrive link is no longer active, and wondering if you can re-post your article somewhere?
Many thanks!
Martin
Thank you so much Andrew!
Off to eBay now ;-)