Mr Vee Windvane Steering

Wandering Star

Visit site
I’m thinking of fitting a windvane servo pendulum self steering system to my Sadler 25. I’ve used Aries & Monitor systems in the past on larger boats but for a 25 footer think they’d be overkill.

Does anyone have experience of the lighter models such as Navik, Mr Vee or Windpilot Light fitted to a small tiller steered fin keeler?

The Mr Vee appeals due to it’s affordability but obviously if it has serious shortcomings then I’ld prefer to look for a more substantial design but secondhand.

GraemeS

Visit site
I've got a Navik on an Albin Vega 27'. Works very well. My only reservation is that there are a lot of plastic bits on them and they have been around for a while now. Not sure what UV damage has done to them. I'd like to end up with something along the lines of the Windpilot or Sea Feather. Piggy bank is still a bit light to buy new!!

V1701

Visit site
I had a Vega with a Navik and a Bowman 26 with a Hasler SP3, both of which worked fine. Both no longer made but very occasionally come up on ebay. When they do they get good money - IRO £500-£1k ish. There's that one you can get as a kit as well, I forget the name, mostly made of wood, a more economical option but requires more user input to build/tweak...

edit - Hebridean is the other one - here it is, kit £480

DownWest

Visit site
Bit of reading here: Fay Marine vane steering plans
I built a couple off the ideas. Worked OK.
If you vou can find a Navik..best choice. They were the favourite for the Jester mob, and other smaller boats.
While recovering the latest project, I noticed a Navik stashed on a high shelf... Might talk to the owner.. His nice project has been stalled for several years.

Last edited:

yimkin

Visit site
Take a look at the "Seafeather", lightweight and well made. I have used it on an Achilles 9M and now installed on a Victoria 800.

Minerva

Visit site
I had a navik on my folkboat. Brilliant device and worked really, really well. Once the course and sails were set, the telltails may as well have been painted on the sails. Would definitely recommend!

GraemeS

Visit site
I had a Vega with a Navik and a Bowman 26 with a Hasler SP3, both of which worked fine. Both no longer made but very occasionally come up on ebay. When they do they get good money - IRO £500-£1k ish. There's that one you can get as a kit as well, I forget the name, mostly made of wood, a more economical option but requires more user input to build/tweak...

edit - Hebridean is the other one - here it is, kit £480
Two Jesters had Hebrideans this year to the Azores and were very please with them.

Poey50

Visit site
I’m thinking of fitting a windvane servo pendulum self steering system to my Sadler 25. I’ve used Aries & Monitor systems in the past on larger boats but for a 25 footer think they’d be overkill.

Does anyone have experience of the lighter models such as Navik, Mr Vee or Windpilot Light fitted to a small tiller steered fin keeler?

The Mr Vee appeals due to it’s affordability but obviously if it has serious shortcomings then I’ld prefer to look for a more substantial design but secondhand.

Are you on the Sadler and Starlight Facebook group? One member there has a Windpilot Pacific Light and I think her boat is a Sadler 25. The light version comes with a smaller range of hull attachments than the Windpilot Pacific but I assume there is one to fit your boat. I have the Pacific - superbly made kit. Peter Foerthmann is vastly experienced and a character.

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Two Jesters had Hebrideans this year to the Azores and were very please with them.
I'm building a Hebridean kit - but I'd warn that John Fleming's idea of "minimal woodworking skills" and mine are somewhat different. However, I've got the main framework built, and so far it's looking OK! I'd also advise that a circular saw or chop saw will make life a lot easier; the oak supplied is very hard! There are some good YouTube videos by a guy who built one - it's worth watching them as they do show various useful tips. I paid for the add-on remote system, as I think the vane head will end up a fair way from the back of the cockpit. The principle seems reasonably easy to understand, and it's clear the system will be pretty powerful in operation.

Minerva

Visit site
No chance of you selling it?

Not really - I’ve always considered it my insurance policy; if things get unbearable at work then I can buy a Nic 32 or similar, sling the navik on the back then within a few weeks sail can be sipping a rum cocktail on a warm beach somewhere!