Moving to the Deben

wm27

Visit site
For various non-sailing reasons we are aiming to relocate from the Blackwater (Mersea) to the Deben next year.

I am expecting moorings to be harder to find so we have all but accepted we may have to use the marina and will be limited to what we can use there. Ideally, I will take our Beneteau 25.7 (lifting keel) and a laser dinghy.

I don't really know much about the Deben though .

All help/guidance etc gratefully received - clubs, moorings, storage, sailing grounds, suitable boats...

Thanks in advance.

GrandadPig

Visit site
Just made a similar move myself. From a pontoon berth in the Blackwater (Maldon) to a swinger just down river from the sailing club. Not been exploring yet, less room to play than I am used to but a lovely place. I got a mooring through the Kyson Fairways committee but understand some pontoon berths are available.

johnalison

Visit site
There’s nothing difficult about the Deben. Bawdsey is a different matter though, but I’m sure you’ll pick it up. :)

Aquaboy

Visit site
Lift keel no worries, you can go in and out pretty much when ever. My thoughts would be about ease of access from where you live.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Went up the deben last Summer and there seemed to be loads of empty moorings at Ramsholt, Would be my first choice to enquire.

When up there on the Deben last time , The Ferry Boatyard were advertising moorings at Ramsholt

They used to advertise them on the Felixstowe Ferry Boatyard web pages

As far as I could make out , over time , some Boaters have an additional mooring at Ramsholt owing to its good location and the Pub or Church , just depending ? so that maybe why some Ramsholt Moorings appear empty ?

wm27

Visit site
Thanks all.

The Kyson Fairway route sounds good as we will be at the Woodbridge end. What is the story with storing and using tenders for those moorings ?

I am beginning to realise how easy Mersea is for everything - (relatively) cheap moorings, YC launch, tender storage galore, swinging moorings, plenty of river. This is all a voyage of discovery.

Do people with smaller cruisers just mainly sail up and down the river with the occasional outing beyond or do most people use something like a Shrimper on the river and keep cruisers for longer outings ?

Dee Bee

Visit site
The big disadvantage to the Deben is that you can only day sail in the river for the most part and after I had a boat there for two seasons I was bored out of my mind. Very pretty though. Have you thought of The Orwell?

wm27

Visit site
The big disadvantage to the Deben is that you can only day sail in the river for the most part and after I had a boat there for two seasons I was bored out of my mind. Very pretty though. Have you thought of The Orwell?

That was what I was worried about really. I have become used to having a boat within walking distance so I wanted to keep it in my new home river.

What about the sailing clubs on the Deben ?

steve62

Visit site
Deben Yacht Club was very friendly and accommodating when we joined but we left a few years ago, so not sure about now. Would agree with the comments about day sailing or in some cases motoring. It is a very pretty river but the channel is narrow as we used to find when tacking up wind.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Laser at woodbridge, Beneteau might as well go to the Orwell if you are worried about the size of the river regards interest.
Its a shorter drive to say Suffolk Yacht Harbour than Felixstowe Ferry. Tho' if you were at the ferry you could possible keep the dinghy on the Bawdsey side. Then a nice country road drive.
The Deben is a lovely river.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
As mentioned above, Levington moorings would be ideal, full tide a bit pricey but you have many day sail options. ie
Backwaters, Stour, Ipswich, Cork Sands etc .

After the Blackwater, you may find the Deben a bit restrictive . I'm sure you will find something that will suit you.

Greg2

Visit site
Ramsholt moorings are all taken in theory - because they are inexpensive people hang onto them even when they don’t have a boat ‘just in case’ - from talking to George (Harbourmaster) there is a waiting list that you need to have reasonable life expectancy to make it worthwhile adding your name.

Deben is lovely - we moor our cruiser there but have a Norfolk Gypsy that we put on a seasonal swinging mooring on the Orwell to give us more options for sailing.

Not sure I understand concerns about getting bored - mooring rentals tend to be seasonal or annual so not forever. Give it a try and enjoy it. If after a year or two you fancy a change then there is nothing stopping you. ?

GrandadPig

Visit site
I joined the sailing club and will be keeping the tender there. Very friendly club. Also joined the cruising club but life keeps getting in the way and limits visits!

Capt Popeye

Visit site
My take on the River Deben is that its a glourious River , safe , fantastic scenery , excellent bathing places , clean water , no Bridges to negotiate , plenty of exploring available , well off the 'Rat Race' places , very well suited to a days sailng /boating , good Forshore facilities for Eating /drinking , well suited to those whom a Day or Two afloat is whats required ; but for those whom extensive travel to disatant parts is required , as some berthed in the Woodbridge Marina state , its a day (allowing for tides) possibly to leave the River confines to reach the open Seas to seek adventures elsewhere ; so thas well fine with me , the less of them Adventurers on the Deben the better for me plus others who appreciate its attractions

Please do not change it !

johnalison

Visit site
Much of the decision of where to go will depend on road access. For me, Titchmarsh gives a similar range of sailing over a reasonable tidal range, but that is because it is a consistent half-hour drive for me, whereas the Orwell or Deben would be nearer an hour and very traffic-dependant. For many it would be the other way round.

Oldgeezer

Visit site
Have been on the deben for 12 years and just given up a kyson mooring. (and swallowed the anchor sadly)
Woodbridge is a great and friendly town. and easy to get to on the train if needed.
The Deben is glorious, and beautiful - hopefully I'll find a way to get back on it!
Do have to watch the tides if on a woodbridge swinger - but I've even slept whilst sitting on the mud for an early departure. - or go down river and pick up a spare buoy.
Good luck - you will love the place!

Other threads that may be of interest