Mounting nav lights on the pulpit

Shuggy

Visit site
Sorry - need lots of help today! I need to fit nav lights on the pulpit. I can't fit a single combined port/starboard light as the anchor's roll bar will get in the way (no anchor brand names necessary!) so I need to fit two lights - one on each side of the pulpit, obviously. The pulpit 'side bars' are angled both horizontally and vertically: in other words, I can't just fit the lights onto the rails as they will not be orientated correctly. Before I go commissioning some stainless steel brackets to be custom made and welded, does anyone have experience of good brackets that will fit onto the round rails and can then be adjusted to the correct orientation?

I have not yet bought the lights, so I'm open to specific makes.

Thanks again.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
How about clamping a stout piece of Teak(other hardwoods are available) to the vertical? support nearest the centreline and then shaping to the correct alignment to screw the lamps to. Once shaped the brackets could be permanently bolted to the support. And you'll be able to fit nice LED bulbs to reduce your power consumption.
Another solution may be to clamp an oversized stainless sheet to the bracket and then bend to suit and cut to size.
OR - Lateral Thinking - how about fitting a bicolour lamp offcentre? The amount offcentre should not materially affect the "correct alignment" according to the Regs.
Good Luck!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Not a direct answer to you question, but I'd suggest mounting your lights on the inboard side of the pulpit (though obviously where they can still be seen). Compared to mounting on the outside, that way they'll be protected from the odd bump and scrape, which can damage them, or even rip them off.

PS - anybody finding a port nav light in the bottom on the lock at Chi Marina, it's mine.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Bowfittings.jpg
[/IMG]

This shows the position of the nav lights on our Westerly Konsort Duo.

Hope this is of some help.

William_H

Visit site
Nav lights

Do not buy lights made for incandescent globes and fit LED bulbs. The range of view of the light will not be correct because the original design with incandescent use a festoon bulb with vertical filament and very small light source. The LED bulb will have light emitting on some directions more than others and the light source is from a large surface.
Look for complete Nav light with LEDs. They are brilliant with low current and very bright. They cost about double a normal nav light.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=53179&intAbsolutePage=1
NB one $A will cost you 62 pence.

As said mount the nav lights inboard as far as possible as they willl be subject to bumps when arriving at jetties, and of course they need to be vertical and parallel to the centre line of the boat.
I confess I mounted mine on the side cabin. They are not obscured by the jib and are very safe. (if not at a perfect angle parallel to c/l) Good luck olewill

Shuggy

Visit site
Hi Olewill

I've got an LED tricolour so there's no need to have LED bow and stern nav lights as the engine will always be on when they're running. I've got a very odd-shaped (i.e., old) boat with extremely 'pinched' bow and stern, so if I was to knock the pulpit while docking I would really have messed up! I take your point about mounting on the side cabin but I don't want to upset her lines so I'm stuck with the pulpit.

Oh stuff it - here's a photo which might explain why I want something neat. It's pre-new gen anchor so the obstructive roll bar is not present.

5495157509_6a000f154e.jpg

William_H

Visit site
Photo

Looks a lovely boat Shuggy. I see now you only need nav lights on pulpit for when engine is running.
I must say in my night sailing I have doubts as have several other friends in the noticeability of mast top (tricolour) nav lights when sailing. I would prefer low level nav lights for sailing. But then I am looking for other boats from low deck level. Perhaps mast top are better if to be seen from a large ship bridge.
Anyway good luck with the winter refit and the new season. olewill

Stork_III

Visit site
Hi Olewill

I've got an LED tricolour so there's no need to have LED bow and stern nav lights as the engine will always be on when they're running. I've got a very odd-shaped (i.e., old) boat with extremely 'pinched' bow and stern, so if I was to knock the pulpit while docking I would really have messed up! I take your point about mounting on the side cabin but I don't want to upset her lines so I'm stuck with the pulpit.

Oh stuff it - here's a photo which might explain why I want something neat. It's pre-new gen anchor so the obstructive roll bar is not present.

5495157509_6a000f154e.jpg
HR fit the lights on plates welded betwen top ratl and first stanchion of the pulpit as this picture. Have alook if you have any HRs near you, you don't say where you are. They use stainless Aquasignal lights. Nice Boat you have.

Last edited:

Shuggy

Visit site
Stork_III said:
HR fit the lights on plates welded betwen top ratl and first stanchion of the pulpit as this picture. Have alook if you have any HRs near you, you don't say where you are. They use stainless Aquasignal lights. Nice Boat you have.

Thanks - that looks good but I was trying to avoid welding - it may be that it's the most sensible answer. We sail in company quite a lot with an HR36 so I'll have a closer look next time; the yard also has lots of HRs in it. If we welded a plate it would need to be at quite an angle as our bows are fairly acute.

PeterR

Visit site
The lower navigation lights on most yachts, including mine, with separate port and starboard lights mounted on the top rail of the pulpit are hopeless for use when sailing, other than close hauled, as the genoa obscures the leeward light. They either need to be mounted centrally, as a bicolour, or low down on the pulpit rails if you do not wish to use a tricolour.

Seajet

Visit site
I rather think she's a Nicholson 43 ?

Aquasignal make neat plastic brackets which go over the pulpit rail, certainly suitable for stern lights but I can't remember if they allow the light to twist, for fore and aft alignment on a pulpit ?

Shuggy

Visit site
...although I am beginning to wonder if something slim like a lopolight might just squeeze in above the roll bar (apologies for out of focus pic - it was the background of a family shot):

5496891322_dba4025ba8.jpg

I'll need to measure up properly.