Mounting nav lights on the pulpit

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
...although I am beginning to wonder if something slim like a lopolight might just squeeze in above the roll bar (apologies for out of focus pic - it was the background of a family shot):

5496891322_dba4025ba8.jpg

It might, but looks like it might be vulnerable.

Of course, you could always take the anchor off the bow!

Stork_III

Visit site
...although I am beginning to wonder if something slim like a lopolight might just squeeze in above the roll bar (apologies for out of focus pic - it was the background of a family shot):

5496891322_dba4025ba8.jpg

I'll need to measure up properly.
Lopolights are designed to be stood on so the light could be mounted above the pulpit rail, must then be clear of roll bar.

Shuggy

Visit site
On mine I have a combined port starboard light at the top of the pulpit in the middle - but it's on a bracket so you have the same issue...

I'd need to double check ColRegs but as we're over 12m I think we need to have 2 separate lights.

C

catalac08

Do not buy lights made for incandescent globes and fit LED bulbs. The range of view of the light will not be correct because the original design with incandescent use a festoon bulb with vertical filament and very small light source. The LED bulb will have light emitting on some directions more than others and the light source is from a large surface.

This is not my experience with LED bulbs. I fitted Searolf red and green and white LEDs in my respective Aquasignal housings which were made for incandescent bulbs. The 20W equivalent (about 2W actual power rating) LED clusters are extremely bright and far, far brighter than the 10 actual watt bulbs they replaced. The colour is good and from my moorings to the local quay which is about 3/4 mile a comparison indicates very good visibility and much better than the 10W bulbs. At night my lights are visibly much brighter than most other boats around and I feel very confident they are doing the business ok. I cannot comment generally about LED bulbs as these are the only ones I have used and I am sure there is great variability in the market. Only downside I see with LEDs (apart from the cost) is that because you do not have the heat in the housing there tends to accumulate a bit of condensation, which needs clearing every few months.

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
nav lights

I used 2 jubilee clips to hold a thin stainless steel sheet in position to bolt the light to. I slotted the sheet so that the j.clips held it at the correct angel on the pulpit and it does not look as unsightly as I expected. My bow is rather similar to yours.
ken

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>The 20W equivalent (about 2W actual power rating) LED clusters are extremely bright and far, far brighter than the 10 actual watt bulbs they replaced. The colour is good and from my moorings to the local quay which is about 3/4 mile a comparison indicates very good visibility and much better than the 10W bulbs.

All lights, including anchor lights, should have a range of two miles. The incandescent bulbs needed for that are 25 watts, so your lights have been and still are underpowered.

I have only ever seen one combined LED anchor/tricolor that is as bright as an incandescent tricolor. When I asked the owner how much it cost he said UKP 500 in February last year. I guess that's the latest generation and the prices will come down. Having seen many of the cheaper LED's you will be lucky if the lights are picked up at half a mile, threequarters max.

>No combined is OK. http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/annex1.htm

Those regulations are for motor vessels not yachts. A tricilor at night means you are sailing, lower lights and a staeming light mean you are motoring. You must have both if you sail/motor at night.

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
>The 20W equivalent (about 2W actual power rating) LED clusters are extremely bright and far, far brighter than the 10 actual watt bulbs they replaced. The colour is good and from my moorings to the local quay which is about 3/4 mile a comparison indicates very good visibility and much better than the 10W bulbs.

All lights, including anchor lights, should have a range of two miles. The incandescent bulbs needed for that are 25 watts, so your lights have been and still are underpowered.

I have only ever seen one combined LED anchor/tricolor that is as bright as an incandescent tricolor. When I asked the owner how much it cost he said UKP 500 in February last year. I guess that's the latest generation and the prices will come down. Having seen many of the cheaper LED's you will be lucky if the lights are picked up at half a mile, threequarters max.

>No combined is OK. http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/annex1.htm

Those regulations are for motor vessels not yachts. A tricilor at night means you are sailing, lower lights and a staeming light mean you are motoring. You must have both if you sail/motor at night.
He is fitting a bow light not tricolour. So reference is applicable. When he is motoring with sidelights on he's a motor vessel.

Shuggy

Visit site
He is fitting a bow light not tricolour. So reference is applicable. When he is motoring with sidelights on he's a motor vessel.

Agreed. I was referring to a combined set of port/starboard lights for the bow. I thought they were not ok for vessels over 12m (which we are) but they are - it's 20m which is the threshold.

Anyway, I think I may buy a lopolight and mount it on top of the pulpit as it will be almost flush:

100-005.jpg

This is a horizontal fit and I think may be the best solution.

www.bavariayacht.info

No you don't. A sailing vessel is a special case of a power vessel with a dispensation that says you may use a TriColour if you are under sail, but you may use normal nav lights if you don't have one.

The other way around is not true: you may not use a TriColour when steaming.

Trust me, I did the Yachtmaster in December so I still recall some of it :)

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Agreed. I was referring to a combined set of port/starboard lights for the bow. I thought they were not ok for vessels over 12m (which we are) but they are - it's 20m which is the threshold.

Anyway, I think I may buy a lopolight and mount it on top of the pulpit as it will be almost flush:

100-005.jpg

This is a horizontal fit and I think may be the best solution.

Good decision. We have all Lopos and they are excellent.

Shuggy

Visit site
It's taken me a while to get round to sorting it out, but here's the finished article. Ignore the unspecified brand anchor roll bar - it's only there while we're on the mooring as there's not enough clearance around the bow fitting.