Motor Boat Gas Certificate

DrSpock

Visit site
Is this mandatory or just common sense to get one? I've tried contacting local marine engineers but no-one seems to want any business...

Can any Corgi engineer supply one? It's pretty simple - a gas canister feeding a Plastimo Neptune 2000 cooker.

Momac

Visit site

Newbroom

Visit site
For inland waterways you would need a boat safety certificate. The inspection includes a test of the gas system and appliances.
If you look at the BSS website you will be able to find a BSS surveyor .
http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/find-an-examiner/
The fee is not fixed but the going rate is about £120.
By the way ''Corgi'' was abolished in 2009 in favour of the ''Gas Safe Register''.

But the two are not the same thing. My insurance company insisted on a gas certificate despite the boat having a BSC. Try your local caravan repair shop.

Tranona

Visit site
You need an engineer that has an endorsement for marine work. Can take a bit of tracking down, but suggest you contact Calor Gas Southern in Southampton who keep an up to date list.

wjf

Visit site
I am sure Gas Check Marine cover Lymington.
I can highly recommend them.
Regulations and "peace of mind" are two different issues and whilst insurance companies do not usually insist on gas certificates I am sure that in the event of a claim they would ask when the gas system was last checked/serviced!

DrSpock

Visit site
Weymouth is quite a distance but have emailed them. Ocean Rigging are in Lymington and allegedly carry out checks but seem too busy to reply to any enquiries.

Tranona

Visit site
Sea going boats are outside the scope of gas safe regulations. Meaning they don't apply.

Well, they do for new boats as the RCD requires gas installations to be approved and certificates issued. Same with coded boats.

Not unreasonable for sensible owners who are not gas experts to have their systems certified. As suggested already Insurers ask the same if a survey shows up a suspect gas installation.

BB1

Visit site
Marcus Marine marcusmarine.co.uk......best in the business.
Is this mandatory or just common sense to get one? I've tried contacting local marine engineers but no-one seems to want any business...

Can any Corgi engineer supply one? It's pretty simple - a gas canister feeding a Plastimo Neptune 2000 cooker.

VicS

Visit site
We have our system checked every year just for peace of mind.
If you are Solent based Gas Check Marine are great. £60 for a gas check.
Contact David at info@gascheckmarine.co.uk.

I am sure Gas Check Marine cover Lymington.
I can highly recommend them.
Regulations and "peace of mind" are two different issues and whilst insurance companies do not usually insist on gas certificates I am sure that in the event of a claim they would ask when the gas system was last checked/serviced!

GasCheck Marine have been taken over by Apollo Gas http://www.apollogas.co.uk/

Hopefully a little more to it than that.

Before going any further read chapter 7 of the Boat Safety Scheme Essential guide. Although this is what is required for inland waterways it is the standard to which any gas installation should comply.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss guide 2005 complete web.pdf

Last edited:

DrSpock

Visit site
Still no reply from Ocean Rigging.

Contacted Apollo Gas - within two days the inspection was completed - new supply hoses fitted but otherwise fine. £126 all in which I thought was excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

VicS

Visit site
Still no reply from Ocean Rigging.

Contacted Apollo Gas - within two days the inspection was completed - new supply hoses fitted but otherwise fine. £126 all in which I thought was excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Thanks for the feed back on that.