Most popular one-design in the UK?

Gedimin

Visit site
What are the biggest one-design fleets down South? I have plans to move to London and would love to join a yacht club with an active one design fleet, preferably 20-30 ft (J80, Melges etc). Initially as a crew, possibly later as an owner.

lw395

Visit site
If you want big fleets, XOD, Squib, various other dayboats?
A lot of them are local, so you'd need to localise your thoughts to a particular bit of 'South'.
I guess your idea of South might include what we call the 'East'..... :)

I'd suggest looking at the results for Cowes Week and other regatta weeks, as well as the various clubs and CA's.
Some of these classes have long histories, others come and go.
I'd say don't rule out the old classes, some may be a bit slow but the racing is good and it's a nice contrast to a fast dinghy.
A lot of these boats, crews are often owners or co-owners.

Gedimin

Visit site
I am looking at Solent area primarily.
There are plenty of J70s and SB20s in Cowes week, but it is hard to judge which club has most of them. At the same time, less popular J80s might be less spread (with majority in one club) and then it becomes a good option too. I've spotted Melges 24 in the 'East', but it looks less convenient to travel there regularly from London, and racing spirit might be a bit 'calmer' (less competitive, fewer boats/crew available)

lw395

Visit site
So are you looking at being London based?
Many of these classes, it makes a big difference if you can sail weekday evenings.

MissFitz

Visit site
We have a few Cork 1720s in Brighton, always looking for more. Not as classy as the Solent maybe, but very easy from London, much cheaper berthing than in the Solent, & cheap, fast, fun boats. And we race every Sunday!

Gedimin

Visit site
We have a few Cork 1720s in Brighton, always looking for more. Not as classy as the Solent maybe, but very easy from London, much cheaper berthing than in the Solent, & cheap, fast, fun boats. And we race every Sunday!

that's quite interesting actually! I have sailed Hunter 707 for past couple of years in Scotland - similar size and also a bit out of fashion these days. And you are right, Brighton is convenient if London-based. I will definitely remember that!

Gedimin

Visit site
So are you looking at being London based?
Many of these classes, it makes a big difference if you can sail weekday evenings.

Yes, I will be London based. But it does not mean I can't be on the water at least once during the week in addition to weekend! :)

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
There's a big fleet of Sonatas at the Medway Yacht Club who always appear to be a very active and friendly fleet. Easily accessible from London.

A well prepared race boat can be bought for £6k including a good road trailer. They also do well under iRC, unlike some of the 'sportier' type small one-designs.

Tulkinghorn

Visit site
J70 is "the" sportsboat class of the moment in the Solent at least. They will die off in due course, same as the J80s and SB20s are doing and the 707s did before them, but for now, they are the leading sportsboat class.

If you're budget will stretch to it, where the racing really is is in the Fast40+ class : )

flaming

Visit site
J70 is "the" sportsboat class of the moment in the Solent at least. They will die off in due course, same as the J80s and SB20s are doing and the 707s did before them, but for now, they are the leading sportsboat class.

If you're budget will stretch to it, where the racing really is is in the Fast40+ class : )

If your budget can stretch to a Fast40 class, you're not asking questions on YBW...

Solent wise your choice is basically the J70 or any one of a number of "older" dayboats sailed in one or two locations. Some of the larger boats sometimes get class starts, including (In rough size order) Impalas, J88, J111, J109, Sigma 38. But not week after week.

SailSouth

Www.solentboatbutler.co.uk
If your budget can stretch to a Fast40 class, you're not asking questions on YBW...

Solent wise your choice is basically the J70 or any one of a number of "older" dayboats sailed in one or two locations. Some of the larger boats sometimes get class starts, including (In rough size order) Impalas, J88, J111, J109, Sigma 38. But not week after week.

You missed the Contessa 32 which is still raced in the Solent as a one-design fleet with a respectable 8-12 boats on average for a weekend. 6 weekends of class racing in the summer + 3-days nationals, it's own start at Cowes week, etc. They may be older boats but the racing is extremely competitive with the top half of the fleet often finishing seconds behind each other.

Judders

Visit site
I think the most popular might actually be considered to be the Cornish Shrimper believe it or not. Their fleet at Rock is massive.

However that is of no use to the OP what so ever. What might be of more interest is to talk to the Royal Thames about their J80s. They split their time between Queen Marys and Cowes and seem to have a lot of well organised stuff going on.

In terms of the biggest fleet though, I am sure the XOD still comes out on top does it not?

TallBuoy

Visit site
I think the most popular might actually be considered to be the Cornish Shrimper believe it or not. Their fleet at Rock is massive.

However that is of no use to the OP what so ever. What might be of more interest is to talk to the Royal Thames about their J80s. They split their time between Queen Marys and Cowes and seem to have a lot of well organised stuff going on.

In terms of the biggest fleet though, I am sure the XOD still comes out on top does it not?

I'm sure you're right about XOD's, there are over 30 just in Lymington but probably a bit sluggish for what the OP seems to desire.

Others have dissed the J80 which is also growing fast, with over 15 now and their own start in all club racing and events.

Gedimin

Visit site
J-80 is very appealing indeed. Twice cheaper than J-70 but similar fun I guess. And looks like there is a number of them.
How do I find out where is majority based and being raced? Royal Themes looks too posh and complicated to communicate with.

Gedimin

Visit site
It is probably a different topic to start, but I am also trying to find a club that works similar to my current Scottish club.
Which options you normally have at the club? Join as crew or buy your boat, right? In my current club we have the third way: to skipper club's boats. The club owns two keelboats and rents it out to club members at a very (very!) attractive price. I just had to pass 'accreditation' as helm with the fleet manager and then could hire a boat easily as skipper, for racing or cruising. Is there something like it in the South? Ideally with J-80s. Am I dreaming too much? :D

lw395

Visit site
It is probably a different topic to start, but I am also trying to find a club that works similar to my current Scottish club.
Which options you normally have at the club? Join as crew or buy your boat, right? In my current club we have the third way: to skipper club's boats. The club owns two keelboats and rents it out to club members at a very (very!) attractive price. I just had to pass 'accreditation' as helm with the fleet manager and then could hire a boat easily as skipper, for racing or cruising. Is there something like it in the South? Ideally with J-80s. Am I dreaming too much? :D
Aren't one of the Seaview classes almost pay'n'play?
Island SC have some Sonars.
Not sure what the Civil Service and RNSA have.

Judders

Visit site

Definately talk to the Royal Thames as they are doing something along those lines. I'm not really sure of the finer details as it is not my niche.