Morse Single-lever controls - Am I right to revert to separate levers?

mainsail

Visit site
I've had it with my morse single lever control. The damn thing is so stubborn and stiff - despite the ministrations of the local mechanic - I not only find myself clunking into reverse but also - inadvertently - grabbing a handful of extra and unwanted throttle at the same time.

Now the control is so bad I'm thinking of of turning to clock back to the way things used to be - with separate levers for throttle and gear respectively - Red knob lever for throttle and black knob lever for gear.

Has anyone else done this - and if so, how did it work out?

scottie

Visit site
Is it single screw or twin ? one or two station? gears or outdrive Make ? How many people drive the boat?

The morse MT control was the default way to go and unless there is something specific to your setup should not be as out of control as it seems.
Usually it can be combination of small things but tell us the set and that will allow suggestions.

jimg

Visit site
I've had it with my morse single lever control. The damn thing is so stubborn and stiff - despite the ministrations of the local mechanic - I not only find myself clunking into reverse but also - inadvertently - grabbing a handful of extra and unwanted throttle at the same time.

Now the control is so bad I'm thinking of of turning to clock back to the way things used to be - with separate levers for throttle and gear respectively - Red knob lever for throttle and black knob lever for gear.

Has anyone else done this - and if so, how did it work out?

Surely you just need to replace the cables? Will you not need to do this for separate levers anyway?

Replaced the cables on my boat recently and the difference was amazing.

mainsail

Visit site
The set up

This is a single lever Morse control connected to a single BMW 6 cyl petrol engine and a BMW outdrive. The cables are new - well, new last year anyway.

scottie

Visit site
I don't know about the BMW drive but many drives need a bit of force or wait till it goes in some else may be able say which .
If its a morse MT you could try renewing or increasing the detent springs to allow more feel when gear is engaged.

Maybe a new control needed if mechanism is worn sloppy?

For a single outdrive I would suggest your existing set up is the norm.

MapisM

Visit site
For a single outdrive I would suggest your existing set up is the norm.
Define norm.
You'll never find a single lever throttle on any proper speedboat, regardless of the number of engines, and for very good reasons.
Not sure about the OP boat, but back in its days, that BMW setup was installed on some rather fast boat.
And if that is the case, separate levers are definitely much better.
Actually, once you get hold of them, I can't think of ANY boat where separate levers aren't superior to singles.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I have always hated the twin lever set up , my dad had a histar with them, the props were like egg wiskks so you needed 4 hands when tight berthing. I have morse controls on my boat , the previous owner changed them from the Volvo controls as they were just plain worn out. The secret is cables, as they wear the inner liner just cuts into the bends snagging the cable making the shift stiff, so if you have had new cables I'd be looking at the outdrive linkage , is the throttle smooth when operated on it's own as it's more likely the gear cable that's at fault.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Define norm.
You'll never find a single lever throttle on any proper speedboat, regardless of the number of engines, and for very good reasons.
Not sure about the OP boat, but back in its days, that BMW setup was installed on some rather fast boat.
Actually, once you get hold of them, I can't think of ANY boat where separate levers aren't superior to singles.

I was brought up on single lever controls Morse S Series or Kobelt.

Once delivered a Grand Banks which had been converted from Morse Twin S to Morse single lever it was horrible. In and out of gear is feather light with S Series, just a nudge here and nudge there.

Re-engined several boats and converted them to separate lever, one was 23' Fairey Huntress with over 300 Hp. Was unguided missile without separate throttle and gear control.

Red

Visit site
I am a fan of the single lever Morse controls and once they are properly set up I would have them again. I also like the the dual lever controls and I would thoroughly recommend them, the dual lever controls I fitted to a small tugboat worked well I currently have Kobelt dual lever controls on my rib which are similarly excellent. Any of these controls have to be set up correctly

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I've had both and I disagree entirely. I can't see any point whatsoever in single lever controls on a pleasure boat. They're a hangover from the old days when engine manufacturers couldn't make combined gear/throttle levers work. As VP says, you either need 4 hands or you need to move your hands and probably your body between each control station which is a nonsense. A properly set up cable operated Morse combined gear/throttle control is a delight to use and IMHO, modern electronic combined levers even better

scottie

Visit site
Point of clarification single lever is one lever doing both gear and throttle combined
And single function is self explanitary .

There are advantages to both

single function is much easier to dual station IMHO.

Single lever side mount is much easier to operate by foot.

MapisM

Visit site
I've had both and I disagree entirely. I can't see any point whatsoever in single lever controls on a pleasure boat. They're a hangover from the old days when engine manufacturers couldn't make combined gear/throttle levers work. As VP says, you either need 4 hands or you need to move your hands and probably your body between each control station which is a nonsense. A properly set up cable operated Morse combined gear/throttle control is a delight to use and IMHO, modern electronic combined levers even better
You've had both on which type of boat?
Try jumping waves at 50+ kts with single lever controls, and you'll understand the reason for having separate levers when you'll get the repair bill.
Name me a really fast boat which is equipped with single levers, if you can.

I accept that on a boat like your current one (or any other F/B, for that matter) it's more a case of each to their own, though personally I prefer separate levers also on boats which are not supposed to jump waves.
Btw, if you think to be able to make an emergency reverse more quickly with combined electronic throttles, compared to separate mechanical controls, you'd better think again.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You've had both on which type of boat?
Try jumping waves at 50+ kts with single lever controls, and you'll understand the reason for having separate levers when you'll get the repair bill.
Name me a really fast boat which is equipped with single levers, if you can.

Read what I wrote

I can't see any point whatsoever in single lever controls on a pleasure boat

Latestarter1

Visit site
Read what I wrote

I can't see any point whatsoever in single lever controls on a pleasure boat

Controlling both gear and throttle on one lever always has more friction than operating throttle and gears saparately, being able to just nudge vessel in and out of gear is real helpful, particularly on a power boat when the smallest application of thottle when going into gear can end in disaster at close quarter situations.

If you posted this on a US site answers would weigh down in favor of separate levers, in Europe the view is opposite.

Bit like US preference for putting rear engine mounts on the transmission, in Europe generally go on the flywheel housing.

4th of July made us different, however no real right or wrong in the two set ups.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

, particularly on a power boat when the smallest application of thottle when going into gear can end in disaster at close quarter situations.
You can move in and out of gear perfectly easily with a combined lever without adding throttle. Maybe it's only the ham fisted lard arses in the USA that don't have the necessary finesse to do this or maybe the throttles and gears on US boats are separated in order to avoid legal action after some dope t-bones the boat next door:)

Latestarter1

Visit site
Vessels in US had separate throttle and gear controls long before they became so litigation obsessed.

Why do they exist, because people actually like the set up. When I get on a Grand Banks I feel totally at home...Hope that is not a character defect?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Vessels in US had separate throttle and gear controls long before they became so litigation obsessed.
Well, long before single lever controls were developed so IMHO double lever controls are a hang over from the old days and yes, I recognise that some people still like them but then some people still prefer the horse and cart to the new fangled motor vehicle:D