Morons in Greek, Italian, and Croatian waters...

7htas

dantwothreefour.wordpress.com
Those of you who sail in these waters, will be aware of the idiots on the VHF working channels, who constantly shout "Mario" - I'm sailing around the area at the moment as a Deck Officer on a cruise ship, and the other night, I responded to one of them saying that I was the commander of a British warship in the area, warned them they were breaking international laws by misusing the VHF, and that I was triangulating their co-ordinates and to be prepared to be boarded.

Worked a treat! Silence not long after!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Don't know when this started but it was certainly going on in the 70's,normally on the dead of night you'd suddenly hear Maaaaarioooo uttering from the VHF

I've been sailing in Croatia for 10 years and I can't say that I've ever heard it. Mind you, the VHF is turned off at night unless we're on the move.

Nearly all the radio traffic we hear is between Italians jabbering away to each other in Italian so I'm not really listening.

Richard

Tony Cross

Visit site
Those of you who sail in these waters, will be aware of the idiots on the VHF working channels, who constantly shout "Mario" - I'm sailing around the area at the moment as a Deck Officer on a cruise ship, and the other night, I responded to one of them saying that I was the commander of a British warship in the area, warned them they were breaking international laws by misusing the VHF, and that I was triangulating their co-ordinates and to be prepared to be boarded.

Irony n An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning

cmedsailor

Visit site
I haven't heard the Maario call the last two years but I can definately hear all sort of stupid songs and stupid things on the vhf if sailing all night. It's very annoying. Quite often i change to another channel until they shut up.