Morning office update

Dipper

Visit site
Excellent. That was perfect but since I wasn't on the helm I was starting to worry. Same as real life really.

I'll leave you to get on with it now. I hope you don't feel I have interfered too much. My last bit of advice is don't sail into a flat patch. Better to deviate a bit and keep the wind.

Dipper

Visit site
Ok.

First grab the corners and drag to make it bigger.

It’s like a circular graph where you read your course (relative to the wind) off against your predicted speed. They don’t bother showing the top (because you can’t sail that close into the wind) and they don’t bother showing you the left side (because it is a mirror image of the right side).

Your TWA (True Wind Angle relative to your moving boat) is shown around the circumference (ignoring positive and negative values) and the coloured lines are the different wind speeds. You can see that the boat behaves subtly differently depending on the wind speed. Some wind strengths have a double top speed, a bit like a double high tide.

There is a thin black line at the current wind speed with a black circle/dot on it showing your boat speed. If you change your course either by TWA or Course, the dot will move one way or another.

Using the black line, you can see what course gives you your maximum straight line speed but it may not be in the right direction. The black line will mimic the coloured lines as the wind changes but you can use the coloured lines as a guide to future wind strengths/courses if you know this is going to change for your boat.

On the diagram, wind from 180 degrees is directly behind you and wind from 90 degrees is at right angles to your beam. Sailing with the wind at TWA 180 (dead astern) is very inefficient and the diagram shows faster speeds as the angle decreases. Exactly the same with heading into the wind except at 0 degrees you will stop! There is obviously a cut off point when going upwind or downwind where the speed gained starts to be lost by being too far off course. The trick is to find this perfect point which varies a bit with wind strength. The VMG reading helps this. If you are beating to a mark or having to gybe downwind to reach it, then use the VMG reading to get your maximum speed in the direction you want. If you can make the mark without tacking or gybing, ignore it. In real life, you could put the next mark as a waypoint in a chart plotter and set up a VMG on that but there isn't that facility here.

I hope this helps.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Yeah, as said above.... the VMG is toward the wind (or away from it)

As an illustrtaion.... if the course you require is at 90 degrees to the wind, then optimum VMG is 0.0kts!!!!

So.... to be technically 100% accurate, you need to calculate your own VMG for the course you require.... which is a whole load of maths..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
I can't see what your current wind direction/strength is but as a start, try setting your TWA at minus 140 (you should already have a negative TWA). Let it settle then adjust one way or the other by one degree increments and see if the VMG reading on the polar diagram improves. Since you are going downwind, the figure will become a larger negative. If your VMG drops, try the other way and you should find a high point.

Remember the minus sign each time (if you are on that tack) or you will gybe round. Been there. Done that. Several times. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Edit: You have to interpret the results carefully if the wind strength is changing (up or down) as your VMG will also change due to this.

Dipper

Visit site
One other thing on the polar diagram is the % figure. If you change course abruptly or run aground, this drops depending on how this might affect your speed in real life. Then it slowly recovers. The worst thing about accidental gybes is not that you've gone off course but that you drop down to say 87% of your original speed and it can take several minutes to pick up again. Minor course changes don't seem to affect it.

Whitelighter

Visit site
one more thing, but on the forcast, i can see the wind arrow getting bigger = more wind, but how can I tell the forcast wind speed on different parts of the course? is there a numerical value I can get somewhere?

Dipper

Visit site
You can move your mouse cursor (the cross) over the course and find additional information in orange writing on the black bar at the top. I got caught out at first because the wind direction and speed only relates to the time of the last update and may not be right. That's why I don't know what the wind direction is where you are. I can only see what it was when it was last updated. This also applies to the wind arrows - they become immediately out of date as soon as they are updated so you have to mentally extrapolate speed direction by looking at the next 3 hour window and see what the trend is.

The mouse cursor cross also gives you the bearing and distance of the cross from your boat. Handy if you don't want to bother with the ruler. So you can place the cross on the next headland , get these readings and use it to judge when to gybe/tack.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Thanks.

Sorry for turning the thread into a how to play one. Getting right into this now. Think I might be restricted in the amount of work I do if I can get the client on the system at work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif