Morewelham - Blimey

Bristolfashion

Visit site
....what a lovely spot. Once you've left the thousands of moored yachts, chain ferries , submarines etc al behind, it's a beautiful, calm river.

We anchored about 2nm south of Cotehele Quay to await the tide and then had a beautiful cruise in the sunshine past the lovely, historic quay at Cotehele, on to the magnificent railway viaduct at Calstock and up to another interesting historical site at Morewelham. Absolutely lovely. We pootled back down and anchored off the old ruined quay just south of Cotehele.

The morning gave us suitably spooky thick river fog, which burnt off to another fine day.

There's actually plenty of water at even a modest high tide, so I'd commend this trip.

On the way out, we anchored on the west bank about 0.7nm above the Tamar bridge - this anchorage doesn't seem to be mentioned much, but had loads of room and excellent holding.

All topped by a very slow sail all the way into the Yealm - smashing.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
2021, We anchored in a hole 400m above Cotehele. Day in the estate and then the opposite in the Mayflower. Minor problem was that we found we were sharing the hole with a dead tree! Interesting experience

zoidberg

Visit site
....what a lovely spot. Once you've left the thousands of moored yachts, chain ferries , submarines etc al behind, it's a beautiful, calm river.

We anchored about 2nm south of Cotehele Quay to await the tide and then had a beautiful cruise in the sunshine past the lovely, historic quay at Cotehele, on to the magnificent railway viaduct at Calstock and up to another interesting historical site at Morewelham. Absolutely lovely. We pootled back down and anchored off the old ruined quay just south of Cotehele.

The morning gave us suitably spooky thick river fog, which burnt off to another fine day.

There's actually plenty of water at even a modest high tide, so I'd commend this trip.

On the way out, we anchored on the west bank about 0.7nm above the Tamar bridge - this anchorage doesn't seem to be mentioned much, but had loads of room and excellent holding.

All topped by a very slow sail all the way into the Yealm - smashing.
What a misleading post! That river is SO polluted with mine tailings, heavy metals leaching out of the old, unregulated mines, and toxic fertiliser run-off from the nearby fields....

There's hardly room to swing a cat and the few spots that might look like anchorages are strewn with big, gnarly dead trees festooned with abandoned anchors and chain....

There are festering liveaboards hooked up in every reach and rustic bend, with no room left for anyone else....

Then there are the incessant tripper boats charging past, party-discos blaring... and their hooting, screaming hen-partie clients chucking wine and beer bottles left, right and center....

You really wouldn't want to go there.

:eek:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
What a misleading post! That river is SO polluted with mine tailings, heavy metals leaching out of the old, unregulated mines, and toxic fertiliser run-off from the nearby fields....

There's hardly room to swing a cat and the few spots that might look like anchorages are strewn with big, gnarly dead trees festooned with abandoned anchors and chain....

There are festering liveaboards hooked up in every reach and rustic bend, with no room left for anyone else....

Then there are the incessant tripper boats charging past, party-discos blaring... and their hooting, screaming hen-partie clients chucking wine and beer bottles left, right and center....

Oh how that brings back memories of my time at Weir Quay particularly the tripper boats? I am surprised I haven't succumbed to arsenic or heavy metal poisoning given the number of fish including some fine sea trout I have pulled out of the Tamar and eaten. 😁

KeithMD

Visit site

That reminds me of a conversation I once had with someone in the bar of the Saltash Sailing Club. He was adamant that the nuc.subs in Devonport were a danger to the health of everyone in a one mile radius (including Saltash). I felt duty bound to explain how radioctive isotopes of heavy metals are seperated from the normal metals. Using centrifuges.

I was (of course) asked : What had that got to do with the Tamar?
Seemples!
All the radioctive isotopes of all the metals in the Tamar are heavier and so settle quicker and deeper into the mud where the Tamar widens and the flow rate is slowest. It's a "natural" version of how centrifuges are used. The widest section is Cargreen to Saltash. As a direct consequence, the background radiation in the area is slightly higher than normal for that part of Devon and Cornwall.

My conversational companion grudgingly admitted there might be some truth in that possibility.

The next part, I have to confess, might have been affluenced by the incahol. I went on to suggest that if this natural filtering process continued long enough, the river bed in the area might reach a critical mass and there would be a rather huge explosion in the river. Probably not what anyone would want, especially as it would be so close to the Ernsettle munitions dump.

veshengro

Visit site
After a foreign voyage I spent a very happy winter on a swinging mooring at Weir Quay. The little Boat Yard there had just been taken over by an East Coast man, Mike Hooten. I used to row the dinghy up on the flood to Calstock and nip in the cafe there, and go home to my mooring on the ebb. I thought it was a beautiful area, green and peaceful.

KeithMD

Visit site

Thanks for a nice post which bought back happy memories of sailing up the Tamar and using the calm waters to help teach our children how to sail.

NealB

Visit site
After a foreign voyage I spent a very happy winter on a swinging mooring at Weir Quay. The little Boat Yard there had just been taken over by an East Coast man, Mike Hooten. I used to row the dinghy up on the flood to Calstock and nip in the cafe there, and go home to my mooring on the ebb. I thought it was a beautiful area, green and peaceful.
Mike Hooton was at Weir Quay boatyard when we were on the Tamar.

I had a WQSC mooring, but used to service the yard's moorings with the club's barge.

We lived just at the top of the hill, at Cotts.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
As you say it's a beautiful river (ditto the Lynher). Such a shame that the Spaniards inn riverfront was never able to be developed properly.
Theres a few stories there, and trying to mislead the planning inspectorate by some accounts. Wife had leaving do there but knew it as the Crooked Spaniard

Cargreen YC however provides a better than adequate substitute and has non-sailing membership option

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Theres a few stories there, and trying to mislead the planning inspectorate by some accounts. Wife had leaving do there but knew it as the Crooked Spaniard

Cargreen YC however provides a better than adequate substitute as has non-sailing membership option
Always interesting to hear the scuttlebutt about places one has visited.

viago

Visit site

you know nowt about the tamar, probably dont even know where it is.

there is some fine fishing to be had there and the food in the pub was apparently very good.

not that i would pay their prices. i'd wait and get a pasty instead.

i actually worked with a lass that lived in a cottage there. sadly, not a looker.;)

Blue Seas

Visit site
Indeed, it became the Crooked Spaniard when Jane? from the Crooked Inn took it over. Prior to that it was the Spaniards Inn run at one time by Cedric the landlord (1984 ish). At that time the yacht club held their meetings in the middle room of the pub, I was the cruising secretary back then, again for the purpose of social stability.