More weed?

KeithMD

Visit site
Not sure if this is good or bad, what do people reckon?
IIRC, a couple of decades ago, harvesting seaweed for use as agricultural fertiliser was banned (because the environment) - perhaps that law has been repealed or cancelled?

Huge seaweed farm the size of 140 football fields could come to north Cornwall

Huge seaweed farm the size of 140 football fields

Anyone wishing to have a look at the application can do so by visiting the MMO public register at https://marinelicensing.marinemanagement.org.uk/mmofox5/fox/live/MMO_PUBLIC_ REGISTER/search?area=3 and accessing the case references MLA/2023/00308 and MLA/2023/00307.

oldharry

Visit site
Seabed by default below the hw mark is owned by Crown Estates, except where it belongs to a landowner. Cornish seabed is mostly owned by the Duchy. Beaulieu in the Solent is owned by the Beaulieu estate for example. Nevertheless all these areas are subject to MMO regulation as well though there are no doubt odd local variants where historic rights apply.

johnalison

Visit site
Seaweed is harvested in Jersey, so I doubt if it is illegal. I gather that some weeds such as kelp are going to save the world from you-know-what, so farming should probably be encouraged as far as I’m concerned.

capnsensible

Visit site
Unsurprisingly, people are finding ways to make money out of the huge sargassum weed blooms that have been forming right the way across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.. This has been occurring since around 2011 I've seen it close up, it attracts all sorts of rubbish and harmful bacteria as well as ruining the littoral all across the Windes and beyond.

Nice that it has energised responses. Lots on line but I'm not gonna link coz you know what it's like here now....

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Unsurprisingly, people are finding ways to make money out of the huge sargassum weed blooms that have been forming right the way across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.. This has been occurring since around 2011 I've seen it close up, it attracts all sorts of rubbish and harmful bacteria as well as ruining the littoral all across the Windes and beyond.

Nice that it has energised responses. Lots on line but I'm not gonna link coz you know what it's like here now....
Please stop using posh words. I had to look up 'littoral" . 😁

fisherman

Visit site
I think this will be rope grown so not on the seabed. Good luck with keeping moored equipment up there, I spent years trying to hang on to mine against storms and ground sea.
In sept 1983 there was a storm. One boat had 10 strings of 30 pots about 4-6 miles N of St Ives. All he got back was one float with one pot, from twenty miles up the coast.
In Brittany they harvest seaweed in the intertidal zone, at high tide using boats, for a factory at Plougerneau, where there is a very interesting seaweed museum. Used for food, cosmetics, meds etc. The boats are 30ft-40ft steel tubs with an engine for'd and a hydraulically driven outboard leg. The lorries that take it up the road are remarkably rusty.
They use a corkscrew style device called a scoubidou to tear it off the ground, or a dredge. No gulls follow them, where are all the mini beasts?
When you go for a swim the sea is very murky and full of debris.

ylop

Visit site
Not sure if this is good or bad, what do people reckon?
IIRC, a couple of decades ago, harvesting seaweed for use as agricultural fertiliser was banned (because the environment) - perhaps that law has been repealed or cancelled?
100+ years ago seaweed was big business in the remoter parts of Scotland. Seems logical to encourage so long as trying to be sustainable and the profits go to the right places (not some city boys).
[Unwelcome quoted content removed]
[Content removed]

Last edited by a moderator: